Reloading presses - what's the difference?

When I started getting into reloading I bought a Lee Anniversary kit. In the kit I got scales, a powder thrower, funnel, priming tool, and the breech lock press.

Now, although the scales were absolutely fine, perfectly accurate, I replaced these with the 5-0-5 as I can use them with the Target Master trickler.

The powder thrower, though not completely 100% accurate, throws close enough for the TM trickler to finish off. And it's consistent enough.

The priming tool is absolutely fine, works well and I've primed many hundreds of cases with just the occasional hiccup. All good so far.

The press I find is absolutely fine. I can deprime and the spent primers reliably drop into the tube below. The build seems solid enough. I love the breech lock quick release button thing that allows me to change dies with a quarter turn. Yet I always read how the Lee presses are ****, that a RCBS press is miles better, how a Dillon will last a lifetime, how good the alternatives are to the cheapo press I bought.

However, no-one has yet managed to explain how, definitively, these other presses are an improvement on the Lee press I currently own and use? Given that I do not wish to; hand it down to my children, have it last a 'lifetime', progressively load handgun cases, complete several processes by simply repeatedly pulling the handle how is it that this Lee press gets such a bad deal when it comes to 'forum' reviews?

What do the others do so much better than this press does? Are they more accurate? Are they easier to use? Do they allow you to change dies more quickly (scratch that last one - they don't!). Is it just a case of snobbery, having spent half as much again on a rock chucker, is there simply an element of 'it cost more so it must be better'?

Anyone got any sensible answers as to why I would want to 'upgrade' to a press that, as far as I can tell, does the same job but is more of a p.i.t.a to change dies with?

Edited by mick miller

None whatsoever,I've been using a lee press for 13 years, loading 1000's of .222,.243 and 30-06, would a lyman RCBS etc have made it better,more consistent etc ....No.

Scales were replaced with high end Redding ones,case prep is by frankord arsenal prep case centre, still use the press and auto prime.

There is a degree of "I'm using real expensive/it must be better"

Bit like hunting clothing and gun snobbery.

i have a lee press but i have used a rcbs rock chucker . i dont think there is any difference in the quality of the ammo it produces but the one thing i did find is that the rcbs takes less force to use and you can tell when it has completed a full stroke as it cams over where the lee unit does not and requires moor force on the handle .

Mine is even older than that described. Had the problem with the fulcrum levers cracking but replaced those with the newer steel version and also the later cushioned grip operating arm while I was at it. Countless 243, 223 and 22Hornet rounds later, it still works faultlessly as it should. Why pay more? Have to say, though, the same can't be said for their scales so still use Father's Ohaus.

A lot of snobbery I think when it comes to presses and kits. For the money, there seems to be little to beat a Lee Anniversary, which is why I bought one.

I use Lee Pace setter dies which are great. I also use RCBS which are better made and Redding (basic) which seem cruder made. The RCBS bullet seater with micrometer adjustment is great but quite pricey. I'll make do with the Lee one. The neck crimp die is fab.

I like the scales which come in for such a lot of stick. Don't know why as they are very accurate and reliable. I suspect the problem many have with them is in setting the weight as it can be fiddly but once you have your pet load dialled in, they're fab. I use an RCBS 5-0-2 for load Dev and my Lee scales once I have a load.

The primer is fine and does a good job.

The press is excellent. More money simply buys more precision and refinement in the linkages and a beefier press which for most loaders isn't necessary. Some like to use turret presses for the convenience. I find Lee's quick change system really useful and will stick with the Breach Lock press.

Powder thrower is a bit crude and not always that consistent but I check all my throws on the scales anyway. I will upgrade the powder thrower when funds permit. To me, the powder thrower is the weak link in the Lee kit.

The chamfer/de burring tool is crude and not that good. Mine is being chucked. I use the (much better) RCBS tool.

Quick trim is ok but beware the dies...unless you clean out after every cart has been re-sized, particles migrate up the shaft and mess up the inside of the die bushing. Mines ruined after just a month's use and that's with regular cleaning. The Lee Case length gauge and shell holder combined with manual cutter (and cordless drill) is what I revert to until I can afford something like Lyman's trim station.

Chuck in a Lyman Turbo tumbler and a set of dies and the Lee Anniversary kit makes a hell of a lot of sense.good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

Edited by Savhmr

Strange if it's the Perfect Powder Measure as that always gets excellent reviews when compared to much more expensive ones from RCBS, Lyman, Hornady etc.

Are you using extruded stick type powder like say Viht N140?, the thrower likes to be used "positively" so it cuts through any awkwardly placed grains.

I've found it pretty good, Viht (stick type) needs a fairly good stroke to cut through, but I always throw light and then use the target master to finish off.

That said, a lot of the time these days I just find myself using the scoops and then the TM to finish up, it's just as quick.

Just finished 20 rounds of 243 with 40.7gns of N140 and it took me 15 minutes!

Edited by mick miller

It's a pity that the Challenger/Breechlock press is not available on it's own at a sensible price. Then you could have a heavier press, if you think one is necessary, for resizing and the lighter press for bullet seating. I've got two Lee Cast presses to set up when I get round to it, so they can be used for small amounts without swapping dies all the time.

Yes, I use stick-type kernels (Viht N133 and 140) and it's not that it's throwing constantly inaccurate loads or any thing like that (there's the odd throw which is a little under) but the plastic cylindrical housing forming part of the thrower mechanism occasionally gets kernels trapped. It's well designed but made down to a price. Had the mechanism been made from CNC's alloys, it would have probably been great but also more expensive! Anyway, it got its own back today. Just finished loading up some 223 ammo, and clearing the decks from that for some 308 rounds, I poured the unused N133 into the 1K plastic keg.....didn't spill a single kernel. Great. Except it was poured into a 2/3 full N140 keg :oops: Possibly 10 grammes N133 into 600 grammes of N140. What a berk. Most expensive BBQ lighting fuel ever. Powder thrower will now get a smug-mug smiley face painted on it to remind me not to 1) insult it again and 2) not to be half asleep when sorting powders!

Edited by Savhmr

So, thus far we have lots of folk using the Lee presses, Anniversary or otherwise with no problems. The one benefit of the RCBS is easier resizing ( I have to say, sometimes you do need to give that lever a bit of a tug when resizing 243 brass, but its not that much effort).

All in all I'll stick with what I'm using then, take care of it, invest in a few more breech lock bushings and carry on carrying on. Thanks for the input folks (I had expected that people would highlight things like greater accuracy but I guess that's a bit of a daft thought when you consider what a press does).

I have both Lee and RCBS presses (mostly brought back from the US at sensible prices!).

The Lee Breechlock Challenger is an excellent press for the money, the cast version is better if you're into very heavy work!, I've used the standard one to re-form 308 and 243 to 260Rem and 6.5 creedmoor.

I've also used my new RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme to do the same job, it's a lot heavier but the only real advantage I have with it is the case ejection system I fitted to it,

http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/case-ejector-system/products/case-ejector-system-for-rcbs-rockchucker-single-stage

Makes resizing cases a lot faster :) I also added the Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion for fast die swaps and a PCAT2.0L primer catcher as the supplied RCBS isn't that good.

Edited by phaedra1106

Another Lee press user here although it is the cast Breechlock version that has the larger diameter ram and beefed up linkages as well as the sturdier frame, as most of you have said the presses are great value - love the breechlock feature :good: I haven't had any issues with mine aside from the diameter of the ram being an issue when I bought an RCBS swager die to de crimp some military brass, the swaging cap won't fit onto the ram due to its size :/ so I ended up getting a cheap Lee reloader press to do the job and it also serves as second station should ineed it.

I can't comment on the Lee powder measure as I have a Hornady LNL with a micrometre insert but like has been said about the Lee version it too throws slightly under to slightly over the set charge so like Mick I under throw and just trickle the charge to finish it off.

Trimming wise I have used the Quick Trim and have found it OK - really like the chamfering option to cut out a step but I didn't find it too consistent on the length it trimmed to - the original lock stud trimmer is better in that regard. I have just bought a Redding 2400 trimmer as Optics warehouse had them on offer - I was looking at the Lyman but I like the micrometre adjustment of the Redding but whether it is more of a gimic or not time will tell.

My dies are Lee, they produce ammunition that's far better than I can shoot - the only issues I had were with neck tension on neck sized brass being a little loose so I slimmed the mandrel down a thou and that sorted the issue but I also crimp to be certain. Lee have just released some undersized mandrels so I might get one to try.

Neil

I used Lee Loaders to load .223 and .44 Mag before 'upgrading' to a Lee breechlock handpress and adding 7.62x54R. All my dies are Pacesetter or Carbide.

Also have the Lee scales, powder measure, priming tool, case prep tools and they all do what they say on the tin for a reasonable price.

Good to see some (long time) love for the breech lock press and Lee presses in general on here. One question though, what's the difference between a cast breech lock and the alternative.

I think mine is cast, as it has sort of casting marks on the frame, but I'm not sure what the alternative would be?

This is the kit I bought...

Edited by mick miller