best knife

adi786

That is a swing blade.

http://www.outdooredge.com/hunting-knives-swingblade-s/13.htm

Personally I don't like them, they always look like an accident waiting to happen, but have friends who rate them.

The tripe knife part is useful for skinning but I have 'normal' one of those, and don't use it in the field.

I use a decent sharp blade and lift the skin away with two fingers when opening them up.

You will know when you have got it wrong :sick:

That is a swing blade.

http://www.outdooredge.com/hunting-knives-swingblade-s/13.htm

Personally I don't like them, they always look like an accident waiting to happen, but have friends who rate them.

The tripe knife part is useful for skinning but I have 'normal' one of those, and don't use it in the field.

I use a decent sharp blade and lift the skin away with two fingers when opening them up.

You will know when you have got it wrong :sick:

am doing exactly what you're doing just using sharp normal kknife and keeping fingers below sharp end point, thought the swing blades are easy/quick to use.

What size of deer? Thing is a great knife for roe isn't going to be too good fora big red and vice versa

For the record I like buck knives( they take a hood edge and are well made) but you need to keep a stalking knife just for deer work. Keep another for cutting other stuff for sharpness and hygiene reasons

What size of deer? Thing is a great knife for roe isn't going to be too good fora big red and vice versa

For the record I like buck knives( they take a hood edge and are well made) but you need to keep a stalking knife just for deer work. Keep another for cutting other stuff for sharpness and hygiene reasons

want something for munti, roe, fallow... thats pretty much ..

I have used my regular stalking knives on all of those and reds too.

In my experience you will rarely find your knife is too small but can find it too big.

For day to day deer work I use a Gerber Gator (the small one) and a Chinese made Buck. Been using them for years, they were both about 30 quid from memory.

Mora Heavy Duty Companion green or hiviz orange as preferred, cheap (£15), easy to sharpen (high carbon steel) and light (134g inc plastic sheath).

Once aquired, you may be tempted by other knives, but the Mora will do the job as good as any other.

Edited by Stonepark

want something for munti, roe, fallow... thats pretty much ..

Buck alfa cross lock. The one with two blades one drop point hunter type the other gut hook and saw

Using this a suspended field gralloch takes only a couple of mins. It's long enough to bleed a big roe buck and goes through the dishwasher fine. Had mine about 15 years no issues at all

Not a bad knife for rabbits and hares either

Buck alfa cross lock. The one with two blades one drop point hunter type the other gut hook and saw

Using this a suspended field gralloch takes only a couple of mins. It's long enough to bleed a big roe buck and goes through the dishwasher fine. Had mine about 15 years no issues at all

Not a bad knife for rabbits and hares either

seems bit expensive as compares to others.. can find one for £76

The eka is my main knife, optic warehouse CO UK have them on specail at the moment.

Only down side is when you bleed out the carcuss you get alot of blood in the handle. Bit of a pain to keep clean and hygienic. Blade it a little to thick for muntie and some roe. I use the stainless Mora as a back up and it fits the anal track and pelvic on munts and roe nicly.

All have a couple cheap orange £4 fixed blade knives that I use back at the ladder just for head, tails and knees as I don't like cliping home with the ekaswing blade due to how sharp I like them. Bone knackers it very quickly

I have had a stack of knives ranging from the cheap to expensive, out of all the knives the one that usually sits on my belt is the Mora stainless in bright orange. the Sandvik stainless holds a real sharp edge. As said above ideal for cutting the butt out on smaller deer but also darn good on fallow, ideal size for cutting around the diaphragm. Field dressing is more about experience rather than brute force and the mora is more than capable. Heavy thick bladed knives are good survival tools if you need to chop and split wood but that aint the case with deer.

thanks all, i've finally ordered few:

Mora Companion FF Stainless Steel Knife
BushWear Bush Saw
Outdoor Edge Zip-Blade Fixed
Hope all above 3 items be good enough, had bougt electric knife sharpener as thought they'll make knife quite good but sadly rather sharpning it feels like destroying my knife more, i had anglo arms which i tried..

I find this cuts it...

10 inches is all you need

IMG_3655_zpsmtp18qw1.jpg

But seriously

A Mora SS knife is just about perfect .... I've washed mine off in a river a few times. Back home the plastic sheath also goes in the dish washer. I never use this knife for anything but field dressing. I home butcher with Victorinox knives.

For me, expensive knives have no place getting blood etc in nice wooden scales

• 1 month later...

Have a look on the British deer society shop website

These are a cracking piece of kit

Casstrom # 10. £79.95

Micarta handle 14c28n stainless blade

Lovely bit of kit

Scary sharp and it doesn't break the bank

I've used mine on Munties, Roe and fallow, does the job and holds a very keen edge

Good luck

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

No such thing as s best knife . Asking as it cuts and does the job then it's fine . A mora knife will hold an edge as good as any other but for half the price . The bright orange ones are good as there hard to lose however I like the mora heavy duty companion however Evern the the name calls it heavy it is t heavy by no means it's just a little bit more robust . No need for a 60 70 or 80 pound knife when a 15 pound knife will do the same

No such thing as s best knife . Asking as it cuts and does the job then it's fine . A mora knife will hold an edge as good as any other but for half the price . The bright orange ones are good as there hard to lose however I like the mora heavy duty companion however Evern the the name calls it heavy it is t heavy by no means it's just a little bit more robust . No need for a 60 70 or 80 pound knife when a 15 pound knife will do the same

Not sure that's true, I would put up my Fallkniven F1 any day against a mora. Mind you it is quite a bit more than twice the price.

Edited by rimfire4969