Vitamin D deficiency

foxnet22

For a while now I've been suffering with aching legs along with joint pains in arms shoulders etc thought it might of been a touch of arthritis after a painful week I decided to get checked out at doctors he took a blood sample and got results today I have vitamin D deficiency was the result .I was advised to take supplements namely cod liver oil .I would never of guessed the outcome of the blood test just goes to show its worth while paying a visit to your GP our health as got to be the number one priority.any of you chaps been diagnosed with this and what supplements did you take ?

You would be surprised by the number of people who are Vit D deficient. My daughter also had such a low level that they had to give her a high dose medication for a few months and now she has to take your regular Vit D supplement every day.

True old.Un BT unfortunately that's not enough my level is really low I'm always in dun to when it decides to come out that is.

I have cut and pasted this from a medical site

Vitamin D is also found in oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel and sardines, eggs, fortified fat spreads, fortified breakfast cereals and powdered milk. However, it is hard for the body to get enough vitamin D just from food or supplements.

Around 10 to 15 minutes a day in the summer sun without sunscreen is enough to top up vitamin D levels for most people and where the body gets most of its vitamin D from, Health officials don't give firm recommendations on the duration because the ideal amount of sun depends on people's skin type and how quickly they get sun burn. People with darker skin need longer in the sun that those with lighter skin.

The best time of day for making vitamin D from sunlight is 11am to 3pm, April to October.

It doesn’t require putting on a bikini or trunks, but the larger the area of the body uncovered, the more vitamin D the body makes.

UV Lamp?

I have cut and pasted this from a medical site

Vitamin D is also found in oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel and sardines, eggs, fortified fat spreads, fortified breakfast cereals and powdered milk. However, it is hard for the body to get enough vitamin D just from food or supplements.

Around 10 to 15 minutes a day in the summer sun without sunscreen is enough to top up vitamin D levels for most people and where the body gets most of its vitamin D from, Health officials don't give firm recommendations on the duration because the ideal amount of sun depends on people's skin type and how quickly they get sun burn. People with darker skin need longer in the sun that those with lighter skin.

The best time of day for making vitamin D from sunlight is 11am to 3pm, April to October.

It doesn’t require putting on a bikini or trunks, but the larger the area of the body uncovered, the more vitamin D the body makes.

UV Lamp?

Would need to be narrow band UVB. I have Psoriasis many of the creams i get prescribed are Vit d or Steroid based, but UVB is far the best method for raising Vid d production.

Everybody in the UK is vit d deficient so don't feel special or out of sync, it's not actually a vitamin but a hormone. Everything you need to can be found on YouTube from "Dr holick" who is the world's leading authority on the subject although you may need to watch it twice as he talks at the speed of sound

Edited by Twistedsanity