Moderators and accountability

OldBill

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it has been asked before on numerous occasions. Can moderators read PM's. I'll let you thinka baout that one :good:

Jonno

On most BB software neither the mods or the admins have an interface for reading the PMs at all.

However. The PMs are stored in a DB backend, and therefore anyone who has raw access to that DB (probably mySQL) will be able to dig around and find the PM text as well as who it was from/to.

But, as I said initially, there are generally speaking (I've installed and adminned most forum software) never admin or mod interfaces to allow them to read PMs. It generally takes physicall raw DB access to do so. Everything you EVER type on this forum is in the DB, public messages, forum posts, private messages.... If its there, SOMEONE has the ability to find it with the right privilages.

IMHO, no one would use any forum software that allowed mods/admins to easily read PMs.....

Si

As a moderator my only additional privilages are being able to delete or edit topics or posts and access the area that deleted items goto. All other forum settings are pretty much the same as any other member. The only PM's I can view are the ones sent to my PM folder.

Guest rabo
I must be a boring ****.........I've never had anything banned........Must make an effort to be more controversial

PIGS NIPPLES.......There I go.....just waiting to be banned.

DFB

:good:

:good::P B) B) :lol::lol:

The mods cant read your PM's or Emails - But the Admin can read all emails sent via this site.

Been a Mod on here would be a nightmare, as about 90% of the mods on here are total *********!

******* hell thats a bit rough,

I must be a boring ****.........I've never had anything banned........Must make an effort to be more controversial

PIGS NIPPLES.......There I go.....just waiting to be banned.

DFB

:good:

:good::P B) B) :lol::lol:

The mods cant read your PM's or Emails - But the Admin can read all emails sent via this site.

Been a Mod on here would be a nightmare, as about 90% of the mods on here are total *********!

******* hell thats a bit rough,

Warning WARNING

I N C O M I NG

I for one am getting my head well below the parapet (smileys or not)

Guest rabo
So there are four mods unless I can't count and 90% of them are ************

I am guessing you are a regular on BBS?

LB

deff incomin now all rite

Guest rabo
there has to be a reason for a lot of the pw members joining new sites.

im glad you said that,im only here a while first one,ive tried other ones but cant get enuff of PW.some off the lads on here have me in stitches laughing the humour is first class, ive noticed at nite late on the members will dwindle away then you check out other forums and theres 200 on, just wondering whats the difference,WHY?

B) You sure about that?

LB

Okay Ill change my first statement.....66.6%

Yeah - Im sure. :good:

Guest rabo

B) You sure about that?

LB

Okay Ill change my first statement.....66.6%

Yeah - Im sure. :good:

are you sure it was 50% 10 minutes ago

Not sure of this exact incident OB- but perhaps it might have been better if you contacted me or the relevant mod about it through the messaging system. This is the only incident that I can remember of this kind on pigeonwatch. Although I don't know the full situation, having only heard your side of the story, I think that it is unlikely that any of the moderators would intentionally forward a PM if they felt it contained sensitive material. I know I receive a lot of messages, and sometimes am guilty of skimming them- which may be the case here.

I can assure you that pm forwarding (of I presume highly sensitive information) is not widespread, and moderators and myself only see messages which have been sent or forwarded to us.

Not sure of this exact incident OB- but perhaps it might have been better if you contacted me or the relevant mod about it through the messaging system. This is the only incident that I can remember of this kind on pigeonwatch. Although I don't know the full situation, having only heard your side of the story, I think that it is unlikely that any of the moderators would intentionally forward a PM if they felt it contained sensitive material. I know I receive a lot of messages, and sometimes am guilty of skimming them- which may be the case here.

I can assure you that pm forwarding (of I presume highly sensitive information) is not widespread, and moderators and myself only see messages which have been sent or forwarded to us.

If i read his initial post on this thread correctly he DID contact a MOD infact the MOD responsible and got no joy! :good:

" As you may guess the mod involved has totally ignored me "

I seem to remember this posting of PM's on the main forum rearing it's ugly head a while back and drew critisism FROM the MODS as well as other members at the time so it seems a tad hypocritical that a MOD chose to do just that?

LG

That's quite right. That's the very reason I didn't come to you Teal via PM- sorry but I feel that this needs to be aired publically and not dealt with in private. The Mod involved posted within a now deleted posting, my PM to them. I would like to know why they felt they could do that. I have proof of the PM I sent to them (posted in the 1st para) If I sent a letter to someone and they put it up in the local shop window I wouldn't be very happy about it- it's exactly the same principal. I have few principals (or morals B) ) so would like to keep hold of them :good: I am not suggesting the PM was intercepted just that the mod had absolutely no business whatsoever for posting my PM.

Off the top of my head.............

"Why has the mod "responsable" not come forward with their side of the story. If it really was innocent then why not say so, explain the situation and if it is right to do so apologise?"

All this silence is somewhat damning isn't it?

All this silence is somewhat damning isn't it?

Not really, I got the PM and read this thread this morning as I have a life other than PW.

The reason I posted the PM was the original post appeared to imply that termination was the only answer and I placed the post in the Moderator area until I got a clarification which I did, so I then added it to the post and put it back into the post so that further replies would make sense. Later I had to remove the thread as it got personal.

Finally, yes I`m a ****head.........sticks and stones :good: