Fox club

WelshMike

Headed back out last night to see what the state of affairs was after the hounds had scared the foxes and done nothing much else :lol: ...2 hours at the chicken farm with no sightings so I headed to the next farm which is about 1/2 mile away. I used the NV spotter as I know there are a couple of really wary foxes and picked up a fox heading in my direction. I got set up on the sticks and at about 70 yards the fox turned and paused and was met with a 58 grain .243 round at 1.10 a.m. He was a good sized dog but had a manky old tail. 

BYu5vp2.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Headed back out last night to see what the state of affairs was after the hounds had scared the foxes and done nothing much else  ...2 hours at the chicken farm with no sightings so I headed to the next farm which is about 1/2 mile away. I used the NV spotter as I know there are a couple of really wary foxes and picked up a fox heading in my direction. I got set up on the sticks and at about 70 yards the fox turned and paused and was met with a 58 grain .243 round at 1.10 a.m. He was a good sized dog but had a manky old tail. 

BYu5vp2.jpg

Well done mike. Not missing the photon???? me and the great white hunter ventured out last. While Grant was expecting to see baboon and warthogs last night on the golf course?i was pleased with the rabbits and dry vixen he shot to be fair. Plenty more to go at by the looks. We should be closing in on the 76 soon

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Well done mike. Not missing the photon???? me and the great white hunter ventured out last. While Grant was expecting to see baboon and warthogs last night on the golf course?i was pleased with the rabbits and dry vixen he shot to be fair. Plenty more to go at by the looks. We should be closing in on the 76 soon

Glad to have the N750A back on and working properly mate. Well done last night mate and good luck with the mystical 76 lol. Glad the golf course is shaping up well and try and keep Grant away from any locals Zoos or animal parks ?

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:01, oowee said:

FH Africa was the best yet. Almost every day up at 0430 for geese,then pigeons,then ducks and in bed for 2030. Went hunting Kudu, Waterbuck and for me Baboon. 

My total bag about 85 ducks and geese, around 700 pigeons, at a cost of around 2000 cart's.

spurw.jpg

kudu.jpg

water_buck.jpg

baboon.jpg

Fantastic mate , have always fancied Africa , maybe 1 day if Im lucky. More interested in baboons , jackals , warthogs etc than the plains game ...

9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Fantastic mate , have always fancied Africa , maybe 1 day if Im lucky. More interested in baboons , jackals , warthogs etc than the plains game ...

Me too. I want to hunt rather than shoot stuff. Planning for next year now if you fancy. ☺️

me and Grant had another 2 this weekend. dog fox called in last light while we were waiting for a buck. next one after dark on a different ground that was working through a sheep paddock. surprisingly did not see that much other than the 2 we shot. 

have a fox taking chickens from a garden tomorrow night. also a new commercial chicken unit that i had one off last week text tonight to say another was round the shed tonight. Too busy to fit any stalking in with all these foxes:no::)

Headed out on Saturday after a nice relaxing day laying blocks in the house. One of the farms has just silaged about 200 acres so nice easy ground to get around. Arrived about 10.30 and after covering a couple of fields spotted a fox by the river. Unfortunately it was intent on exploring the river bank and wouldnt present a safe shot and then disappeared.  

Headed into one of the fields that had been rowed up ready for the next day and typically there was a fox. A little bit of faffing about to get into a sensible position, rifle onto the sticks, NV on and picked up the fox. She was walking across the field and it was interesting to see the tentative way she crossed the rows of grass which were about 2 foot high. She carefully climbed them and was cautious with each placement of her feet. At about 70 yards she was met with a 58 grain BT round in the side of the neck. Barren vixen. 

Spotted one more but in a bad position and a quick squeak had it heading for the hills. Hopefully back out at this farm again in the next couple of days as the fields should all be completely cleared. 

ANcQMyx.jpg

Good work Mike , Grant & Ed. I haven't been out for foxes for a while too busy stalking so had a call the other night.

1st call had a fox coming in after 3 mins with baby fox call but once I lit it up it took off :unhappy:

2nd call , a fox showed up but hung up behind a hedge , no shot on .:unhappy:

Luckily no call outs this year so they can wait til fields are cut ...........

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Headed out on Saturday after a nice relaxing day laying blocks in the house. One of the farms has just silaged about 200 acres so nice easy ground to get around. Arrived about 10.30 and after covering a couple of fields spotted a fox by the river. Unfortunately it was intent on exploring the river bank and wouldnt present a safe shot and then disappeared.  

Headed into one of the fields that had been rowed up ready for the next day and typically there was a fox. A little bit of faffing about to get into a sensible position, rifle onto the sticks, NV on and picked up the fox. She was walking across the field and it was interesting to see the tentative way she crossed the rows of grass which were about 2 foot high. She carefully climbed them and was cautious with each placement of her feet. At about 70 yards she was met with a 58 grain BT round in the side of the neck. Barren vixen. 

Spotted one more but in a bad position and a quick squeak had it heading for the hills. Hopefully back out at this farm again in the next couple of days as the fields should all be completely cleared. 

ANcQMyx.jpg

Well done mike. Funny how some will come in suicidal and others will leg it. There certainly is no exact science in calling them

3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good work Mike , Grant & Ed. I haven't been out for foxes for a while too busy stalking so had a call the other night.

1st call had a fox coming in after 3 mins with baby fox call but once I lit it up it took off :unhappy:

2nd call , a fox showed up but hung up behind a hedge , no shot on .:unhappy:

Luckily no call outs this year so they can wait til fields are cut ...........

Surprised you have had time to get near the foxes the amount of bucks you have had this spring:good:

12 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Well done mike. Funny how some will come in suicidal and others will leg it. There certainly is no exact science in calling them

Surprised you have had time to get near the foxes the amount of bucks you have had this spring:good:

Cheers Ed. I know what you mean about calling. I have had them come in from 300 + yards to 15 yards in a matter of seconds and others turn and leg it as I am sure many of us have. Keeps it exciting. 

10 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Aye its been busy , usually stop looking for them in June until the Rut starts. Tired I can tell you :yes:

You have certainly done well on the bucks Mark. Good luck catching up on the sleep front bud. 

Hope you have started saving for your Safari with Grant. 

3 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Hope you have started saving for your Safari with Grant. 

I should have gone in my 30s when I had the money but you never know what's round the corner.

I need to do my Welsh safari first , never been to Wales. Would love to stay in a stately mansion and do some crow and fox shooting :lol::shoot::good:

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I should have gone in my 30s when I had the money but you never know what's round the corner.

I need to do my Welsh safari first , never been to Wales. Would love to stay in a stately mansion and do some crow and fox shooting :shoot::good:

I would like to stay in a stately mansion as well mate lol. The invite still stands mate but you will need to bring a tent as the house is a dusty building site at the mo. My Dad is visiting from Thailand for 3 weeks at the end of Aug ....god knows what state the house will be in. 1 Caravan leaks and the other is full of boxes so I reckon we will be camping in the garden ?

46 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

I would like to stay in a stately mansion as well mate lol. The invite still stands mate but you will need to bring a tent as the house is a dusty building site at the mo. My Dad is visiting from Thailand for 3 weeks at the end of Aug ....god knows what state the house will be in. 1 Caravan leaks and the other is full of boxes so I reckon we will be camping in the garden ?

had a weekend in wales. stayed at bluestone and visited tenby. great weather and even better place to stay booked again for next year:yes:

10 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

had a weekend in wales. stayed at bluestone and visited tenby. great weather and even better place to stay booked again for next year

I know a nice place for a campsite...facilities are a little basic though :lol: good for a working holiday but not overly child friendly due to excavations and fall from height risks 

Edited by WelshMike

What calls are you using lads? 

Recently got a Icotec GC500, shootingegg and I have shot 2 off his shoot in recent weeks, since then we haven’t even seen a single 1 around. 

We surely haven’t shot them all, it was only 2! 

Tonight I tried several different calls from jack rabbit distress to field mouse or pheasant in distress, leaving a good gap between each, need even a rustle in the hedges all night. 

16 hours ago, WelshMike said:

I know a nice place for a campsite...facilities are a little basic though  good for a working holiday but not overly child friendly due to excavations and fall from height risks 

i will wait till its finished and have a choice of a dozen bedrooms:good:dont like the sound of working holiday lol. are you going to have a day off for game fair? i am sure grant will buy you lunch:yes:

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

i will wait till its finished and have a choice of a dozen bedrooms:good:dont like the sound of working holiday lol. are you going to have a day off for game fair? i am sure grant will buy you lunch:yes:

There is currently sleeping facilities for around 100...called a barn :lol: The pigs have a posher house then we do at the moment. I dont think I will be having any time off this year mate as we have so so much to do to get the place finished enough for heating to be installed and the house to be rewired before winter sets in. 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

There is currently sleeping facilities for around 100...called a barn  The pigs have a posher house then we do at the moment. I dont think I will be having any time off this year mate as we have so so much to do to get the place finished enough for heating to be installed and the house to be rewired before winter sets in. 

Bloody excuses:no: I heard they had a good selection of unisex shooting bags aswell

Well after seeing a fox Wednesday night and my rifle being bolt less, having the shotgun on me but about 200yrds between me and fox. I was able to walk up the same field to a gateway, and then go around the fox and crawl into it with the shotgun. But as I looked up to check distance I noticed it sat up watching me. It the upped and left. So tonight I took the rifle, and bolt..... Sat up in a high seat and waited. At around 9pm a hen pheasant bolted out of some long grass followed by a leaping fox, it missed, but it took chase of the now airborn hen. A few minutes later it re appeared and trotted towards me. It didnt get very far before it dropped. 

Photo to follow as phone ran out of battery... 

9 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Well after seeing a fox Wednesday night and my rifle being bolt less, having the shotgun on me but about 200yrds between me and fox. I was able to walk up the same field to a gateway, and then go around the fox and crawl into it with the shotgun. But as I looked up to check distance I noticed it sat up watching me. It the upped and left. So tonight I took the rifle, and bolt..... Sat up in a high seat and waited. At around 9pm a hen pheasant bolted out of some long grass followed by a leaping fox, it missed, but it took chase of the now airborn hen. A few minutes later it re appeared and trotted towards me. It didnt get very far before it dropped. 

Photo to follow as phone ran out of battery... 

Nice one ShootingEgg ? worth a try with the stalking. 

We were out last night and I asked Bumpy how many rounds he was carrying for the .243. He replied just 9 and i expressed my doubt about his commitment to the night ahead ? Maybe he was a member of the secret world fox preservation centre after all? Only bringing 9 rounds would severely limit the chances of landing that extra large bag of foxes. If your shooting buddies are not positive of the night ahead what hope is there?  

Ten minutes later old hawkeye (Bumpy) spots a field of rabbits by the road. I would spot stuff a lot sooner and more often if i was not driving ? ?. A quick u turn sees us pulling up at the nearest house and the chap is only too pleased to see us bag a few. With that and the original target farm we managed a respectable bag of 20+. A self imposed bag limit was enforced by not bringing enough ammunition and someone spanking a few rounds into the yonder ?. This was certainly not my fault ?, as i could not predict we were going to encounter rabbit armageddon. This small supplies issue was made much worse of course by my earlier criticism of Bumpy bringing only 9 rounds. There will be plenty for next time, and of course we want to play a full part in local conservation efforts lol.

Covered a few farms after but there was a surprising lack of anything about, maybe something to do with the almost full moon, daylight conditions. Last chance saloon and the final field drew a blank and so we headed back to the truck. In the last 100m we could hear something in the neighbouring field and moments later spotted a manky vixen the corner of the field at about 80m. No sooner on the sticks than she moved the last 2m towards the hedge, but not quick enough and she was on the deck. 

IMG-20180526-WA0003[1].jpg

IMG-20180526-WA0002[1].jpg