Fox club

WelshMike

was out sat night to set gun up as was not shooting bang on so went to my permission to set rifle up it was raining not very nice night had a bit of a plink got set up at 100 yard went for a drive around as ground was very wet went across road on to the back of the farm not much about so went back to were we set rifle up and farmer had strawed carrots in field got to the top of field at about 150 yard a set of eyes and a set about 250 in hedge row

took shot at 150 and then never seen other fox again these fox s came into field were i set gun up 15 mins earlier did not think there would be any thing about with all the noise but wrong i was DSC_0182_zpsawl23ozz.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

was out sat night to set gun up as was not shooting bang on so went to my permission to set rifle up it was raining not very nice night had a bit of a plink got set up at 100 yard went for a drive around as ground was very wet went across road on to the back of the farm not much about so went back to were we set rifle up and farmer had strawed carrots in field got to the top of field at about 150 yard a set of eyes and a set about 250 in hedge row

took shot at 150 and then never seen other fox again these fox s came into field were i set gun up 15 mins earlier did not think there would be any thing about with all the noise but wrong i was DSC_0182_zpsawl23ozz.jpg

Well done mate.

Good shooting there. :good: Second not respond to a call?

I am often amazed by what they do when you least expect it.

Thats why we love it, unpredictable. Have you proposed to Bumpy yet bud? Let me know where the ceremony is and I ll pop down :lol::lol::lol:

Well done mate.

Thats why we love it, unpredictable. Have you proposed to Bumpy yet bud? Let me know where the ceremony is and I ll pop down :lol::lol::lol:

Cheeky ****** :lol:

Out last night and had three none of them easy and it was sooooo cold. All the thermals on and insulated balaclava. Wife had a fit at one in the morning when I curled up, it was mmmmmmm nice :)

First one was in the far field of a farm as we were about to leave. We had the motorway noise and distraction behind so a fairly bold walk down the field and then some stealth work behind a hedge and there he was Well over a 100m out :) well probably 75m. Took him with a neck / shoulder shot. Back to the truck and could not find my phone. Mate had to call me and i could hear it ringing but could not find it. It was in the seat pocket of my coat :rolleyes: dont know who put that there :whistling:

Off to the next for a blank and then the last farm of the night. Saw a couple at the far end of the farm but they would not come to the field so we set off back to the truck and spotted another in an unsafe spot. Tiny squeeks an miraculously it hopped our way (injured leg) and got very close about 20m under the bank we were standing on. Almost off the sticks point down to it as it quartered round barely stopping and it was down.

Went down to collect it and spotted another laying up in a dip. Again in an unsafe location so we were off around the field with some trees between us and the target. Checked and we could not see it. Started to walk to where it was last seen convinced it was there and then spotted it about 90m out in a dip. Shot and new we had hit it although it had run on at least 20m. Tricky to find as all of the distance and dip and longer grass tends to merge at the point where it was. A bit of searching and we found it.

Picture is the second one we had.

IMG_09981_zps58kvtwpp.jpg

Edited by oowee

Some proper weather at last. It was cold bur oowee pulled of a good shot considering he was wrapped up like a mummy. Still a bit hit or miss with the mating calls. Maybe a bit early.this ground i have shot alot of this year so good result to get three. Try again friday.

Got this chunk last night after a tip off from the GK post-2987-0-60681000-1480699553_thumb.jpg

And this one the other night, I had missed it a few nights earlier, you couldn't call it as I think it had been a little educated some time before. I tried giving a little squeak but it was off like a whippet.

So it had to be a waiting game. 210 yards sniffing some horse hoof bait stopped him for good this time.

This was unfortunate to follow the same path as the previous night, on my way off the field Thursday night I spotted this Vixen. It was lucky to survive another night as I had unloaded a slipped the rifle and all the other gear bagged up. post-2987-0-21711400-1480760627_thumb.jpg

I had put a call out and sprayed a load of stinky horse hoof bait around, it did the trick,she had nose to the ground and straight towards the caller, which had been off for about 10 mins.

Edited by Dougy

Good work there Dougy the chunk above looks like a big boy.

We were out last night and drew a blank on the first farm. Saw a couple but they were giving us the run around and not playing fair.

Last farm and got out of the truck to hear a gekering (Spelling?) call from two in the garden of a neighbouring house. We went just 20m into the field and started calling and sure enough we spot the eyes peaking from the hedge just at the back of where we entered the field. He saw us and was off up the hill. A quick bark from the master (Bumpy :lol: ) whilst i struggled to get the red filter off the lamp and he stopped about 70m out and then was off again stopping at about 90m to meet his maker. At least he went out with a bang leaving his genes to go on moments earlier.

Nice to be out and not so desperately cold as earlier in the week.

5f213a97-1faf-4ac7-be5e-22a1b79e9ea4_zps

Cheers mate. I doubt I am even close to your total for this year. How many are you up to? Must be getting on towards 200 or more. I am led to believe that Foxes are being put back on the protected list in your area due to a collapse in numbers :lol:

Good luck for tonight mate. Off after rabbits on a couple of pieces of commercial nursery ground tonight then away for a few days so no foxing for me until next week.

A quick count up puts me on 145 ish. That is off a lot of land in different areas and I do spend a lot of time chasing them.

so was out again on friday to see if i could catch up with fox that was in field were shot one week before as there was 2 about had a drive around was patchy with fog and misty did a bit of bunny bashing went back to carrot field and saw a set of eyes was well over 300 yards away so drove around filed and lost it so had half hour on the bunnys again but was sure fox was still in strawed carrot field came into field it from a different side of it and spotted it keep shutting it so eyes so put call on long engough to take shot at 180 pace out DSC_0195_zps2q76lib6.jpg

Some proper weather at last. It was cold bur oowee pulled of a good shot considering he was wrapped up like a mummy. Still a bit hit or miss with the mating calls. Maybe a bit early.this ground i have shot alot of this year so good result to get three. Try again friday.

Well done boys, I am sure you could have had a cuddle if it got to cold :lol::lol: "Whats that in your pocket Oowee, its big and hard...." "well its my NM800 torch of course" :lol::lol:

so was out again on friday to see if i could catch up with fox that was in field were shot one week before as there was 2 about had a drive around was patchy with fog and misty did a bit of bunny bashing went back to carrot field and saw a set of eyes was well over 300 yards away so drove around filed and lost it so had half hour on the bunnys again but was sure fox was still in strawed carrot field came into field it from a different side of it and spotted it keep shutting it so eyes so put call on long engough to take shot at 180 pace out DSC_0195_zps2q76lib6.jpg

Well done bud :good:

A quick count up puts me on 145 ish. That is off a lot of land in different areas and I do spend a lot of time chasing them.

Nice one Brendan. I know that this number doesnt come easily. I reckon I average 1 per outing despite the 4s and 5s. A lot of blanks and a heck of a lot of miles covered and hours spent in the dark.

Stopped off at the shoot on my way home (after the bairn had gone to bed...bless him he's only little and can't do a full night any more :no::lol: ) 20mins of calling brought this fella out to see what all the noise was...

cafe%20dog%20fox.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: He is one ugly bairn thats for sure. No wonder you only venture out with Mark when its dark. :lol::lol: Well done on the extra fox :good:

I havent been out much in the last couple of weeks due to other commitments so headed out last night. Had 400 acres of perfectly flat ground to cover so out on foot with the sticks and the rifle.

I set the caller up in a coupe of spots for 30 mins or so with no luck. Headed across one field and a quick flick with the lamp lit up the brightest set of foxes eyes I had seen for a while. Despite the fox being about 70 yards away and it being really still and quiet (the weather not the fox) I managed to get the sticks set up and the rifle ready to go and Mr fox was still there sat looking in my direction wondering what was going on. Split second later he was met with a 58 grain .243 round in the chest and game over. No more luck at this farm and no luck at farm number 2 so off home for some much needed beauty sleep. Hopefully Santa will bring me some beauty products...such as a sack to go over my head :lol::lol::lol:

Well done on your Fox Mike :good: ..had 1 myself on Thursday after another had sat on the skyline for 10mins teasing me before moving off. :/

Heard another calling just as i was about to move on,so back into the motor and set the caller away but a lot louder this time.5mins later i called in the neighbouring farmers son with his lamp n lurchers lol..to be honest it was nice to meet him as he'd given the heads up about the fox i'd just shot (he saw it night before)Lovely big Vixen in excellent condition...until the dogs had a play with it .. hence no picture :lol:

That was no80 for me with my previous best being 46 last year...lots about this year for sure.