Machine Mart

Walker570

Just ordered two packets of small saw blades for my scroll saw from Machine Mart on checking the price on delivery I found a postage cost of £4..99p . Now, the blades fit neatly into a standard size envelope and having called in at my local

post office I asked the clerk to weight them and suggest what it would cost to mail them anywhere within the UK. He said

they would not quite go through the standard slot and would be classed as large envelope at 96p. Hmmmmmmm ???? ?????

Now, in the plastic delivery envelope with the blades was a thick catalogue which I had not ordered or required. The rating on the delivery slip put the weight as 1kg and I realised that Machine Mart were actually charging me to send their

catalogue, even though I didn't order or ask for one. Rip Off, Scam, call it what you like, but they just lost a future

customer. Just a heads up, hopefully to save you getting ripped the same way.

Their website makes it very clear that the minimum delivery charge is £4.99.

If you ordered online, then that charge would have been clearly listed on the invoice before you confirmed the order. I know that to be the case, as I've ordered from them previously too.

If you don't pay attention and actually read what's on the screen in front of you, then there's only really one person you can blame ...

Yep well that's my FLAT RATE support for the future. They're OUT OF BUSINESS as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately in this situation, I feel you're being unreasonable. You could have bought the blades locally, but you bought them on line. The delivery charge was clearly displayed, and you chose to pay it.

Did you consider your costs if you had to go and get them, petrol, time, car parking etc.

There was a good prog on tv only 2 nights ago about on-line purchasing. There's a company in inner London who guarantee delivery within the hour. One person had ordered a printer cartridge which cost something like £3 and then paid £8 delivery. At precisely the same time as the guy delivered the cartridge another delivery person, from his same company, delivered a carry out to the same person.

Did you consider your costs if you had to go and get them, petrol, time, car parking etc.

There was a good prog on tv only 2 nights ago about on-line purchasing. There's a company in inner London who guarantee delivery within the hour. One person had ordered a printer cartridge which cost something like £3 and then paid £8 delivery. At precisely the same time as the guy delivered the cartridge another delivery person, from his same company, delivered a carry out to the same person.

You can now buy Haagen Dazs ice cream on line from Amazon. Gets delivered within 2 hours free with Prime.

Maybe £4.99 is a little too much, but you are paying for P&P, not just P. Postage AND Packing/Packaging. You're covering the cost of paying for a guy/machine working in a warehouse, picking the part you want, putting it in some kind of packing, the actual packing itself, then getting it into the mail service.