B725 Top Lever Sticking - Warranty or Gunsmith..?

rich_morris

I have had my B725 just over 3 years. It has never been serviced, but has not been shot heavily. The last few times I have shot, I have noticed that the top lever seems to be binding when opening the gun, making it quite stiff.

The gun is well cleaned and maintained, and the lower bolting/bite greased with good quality gun grease.

I have read a few issues of Browning top lever issues, and that they can usually be solved by a competent gunsmith doing a bit of fettling in the right areas around the barrel/action bolting?

As the gun is still in warranty (actually this is a gun that has already been replaced once under warranty!), would you send it back to Browning, and wait a month for it to come back, possibly with a "no fault found" or let a gunsmith look at it?

If the latter, can anybody recommend somebody trustworthy local to mid Bedfordshire??

Thanks

Rich

I've just read the warranty, after reading your question, panoma1, and the warranty issue may be a non-issue.....

The Gun is covered by a 3 year warranty - now passed.

The "action frame" is covered by a "special" 10 year warranty, which doesn't cover "wear and tear" or "surface treatment" - so I guess only if the main action lump/casting/forging cracks due to a flaw... not worth much then! I didn't pay much attention to that then when I bought the gun.

So, I think I've just answered my own question - A decent Gunsmith is needed....

Thanks..

Rich

Cannot believe that people still do not understand their statutory rights - 3 years for an item as expensive as a 725 is about as relative as my inside leg measurement in these cases and the fact that the fault has occurred once before adds fuel to the fire and gives you more oomph to your argument. Take it back to the dealer that you bought it from-it has NOTHING to do with Browning - your contract is with the seller of the item. 3 years is NOT a reasonable amount of time for your gun to have lasted - for your own sake read the Law's regarding your rights and act accordingly - don't let the seller get away with costing you money when you are protected by the strongest consumer rights in Europe.

Hi bruno22rf,

I make absolutely no claim to understand the law in this case, and not wishing to start an argument...

Just what is an appropriate length of time for something the cost of B725? And following the logic that price relates to waranty should my car have a warranty of 50 years (being 10-20 times the value)

The original warranty claim was not for this issue.

Again, admit I don't know the laws, but my experience is that most retailers would only warranty something for 12 months.

Incidentally, the original purchase is closer to 4 years.

My main issue here is less the warranty, and its cost, more the hassle involved with the process for a fix on a gun that might only cost £50, rather than weeks of backwards and forwards with a shop or browning...

I'll try and read up on my statutory rights in respect of this issue..

Thanks

Cars are a different kettle of worms but you would be amazed at the power of your rights as a consumer - it's peoples lack of knowledge that causes the majority of problems. As for the usual 12 months warranty - this is over and above your statutory rights and has little importance in the real world. Your Gun has NOT lasted a reasonable amount of time considering the purchase price and the amount of use that you have had from it, therefore you are covered under the Consumer rights act ( they may have changed it's name over the last 3 years) and can demand that your dealer does something about it. Contact citizens advice and they will help you out or if you don't want the hassle try Douglas Burton in Westcott if you want a top notch gunsmith. If you are feeling feisty you could ring the JVS Show on 3 counties Radio and they will sort you out.

People seem to like to cherry pick certain sentences from the consumer rights act and apply that to their particular gripe.i would ask as there seems to be many on here who are either an rfd in their own right or work for one how many guns they have taken back for a full refund after a few years of use and nil servicing as all engineered products need some attention to keep them in prime working order.also the problem the op has is a relatively minor one that I would say will be rectified by a competent gunsmith in a very short time and at minimal cost.

Edited by bostonmick

While others cherry pick sentences from posts and then apply their own understanding of what is being said? I certainly have made no mention to a full refund but no matter, the fact remains that a gun of such quality and of such price should not experience the same problem in 4 years of light use so whether you are an RFD or not the Consumer act protects you . Biggest problem is that people simply assume that a Manufacturers warranty is all they have.

While others cherry pick sentences from posts and then apply their own understanding of what is being said? I certainly have made no mention to a full refund but no matter, the fact remains that a gun of such quality and of such price should not experience the same problem in 4 years of light use so whether you are an RFD or not the Consumer act protects you . Biggest problem is that people simply assume that a Manufacturers warranty is all they have.

Then I do not understand what your point is.any retailer of any product that is still under warranty is obviously going to send it back to the importer/manufacturer.if this is not good enough for the purchaser in their opinion then as far as it goes they are releasing the vendor of any responsibility. As for a gun of quality I think this range of guns are just ordinary.you might need to go a lot higher up the scale to find true quality.just mass produced machine made items.if you think about it in a sensible manner if the retailer had to stand by the product on the basis it should last beyond the warranty period then any rfd who was selling the early hatsan would by now be out of business with the amount of failures they had.unfortunetly life is sometimes hard.

And out of interest just what period of time would you expect the retailer to stand by this gun.and what is your sliding scale for other guns of higher and lower price ranges.

Edited by bostonmick

Not sure what all the anger is over this simple problem. If, as stated, there is no problem with the top leaver when the barrels are not fitted, it will probably be the Locking Bolt sticking on its nose radius. Had it on my A1 skeet when it was new, 40 years ago, and sorted it myself with an oil stone. A smidgen of engineers blue determined the location. It did not enter my mind then to ship it all the way back to the shop being in the engineering trade. In this case pop the gun to your nearest dealer or gunsmith and have them do it. If you cannot locate one have a day out to F J Wiseman Birmingham.

B25modelman, I think you are 100% right, and if I had the time and patience, I might do it myself too. I am also in engineering, but not so "hands on". If I was talking about a £300 gun, I'd have taken a file to it already.

Right now the hassle of arguing over warranty or not with either browning, or a gunshop, is probably much greater than the cost of the work, so thanks for another recommendation on a gunsmith!

Thanks

Rich

Regarding fit for purpose

I brought a new Land rover freelander 2 in June 2010

In may just coming up to 50,000 miles there was a whine from the rear diff

Took it to the dealers who confirmed it was rear diff but would do nothing if i did not pay £770 for repair

Looked on web and found out LR changed the diff about 3 months after i brought the car, told dealer this but refused to do anything

Contacted Trading standards who gave me a letter and sent it off to dealer & LR as obviously unfit for purpose when brought

Land Rover accepted and fix for free

Trading standards said 6 years was reasonable maximum period for this so scrapped in with one month to spare

Very strong law , time period seems to be dependent on price and expected life of product, Refund is only a relatively short time but repair or exchange for longer period

Edited by ChrisAsh

No anger on my part :no: . As for a dealer sending an item back to the importer that may well be the case - but time also has an effect on this situation, for example if your £2k gun failed to work after a month and the dealer has to send it away for a repair that could take another month, then you are within your rights to demand a replacement. There are no sliding scales or hard and fast rules - it all depends on what would be deemed "reasonable" should the case end up in court but the vast majority of people in this country simply do not know their rights nor how to fight for them. BTW - had my Samsung washing machine repaired back in the spring - 4 years old this August but was repaired "as a good will gesture" free of charge when I threatened legal action, we have strong consumer rights - what we lack is the desire to use them.