iOS storage increase????? Help

WinchesterDave

I use my iPad for my photography and upload ALOT of images to it... I've therefore bought additional iCloud storage and all was well... However... Sometimes, like today when uploading pictures from my sd card, it's says storage full cannot download... So I clear old images off my iPad... And it makes no difference because they're on the cloud and not the tablet.... -_- however it says 0 bytes available.

I've looked at what's taking the space and apparently my mail app is using 1.3Gb of storage!? So deleted email accounts and restarted then Reinstalled accounts.... Email still taking 1.3Gb of space??? However my iPhone, with the exact same accounts on is using 234mb? What.... How's that work?

I've tried downloading 3rd party apps to upload my images to; flikr gives you 1TB free storage!!! Great I thought.... Well yes but it'll only download the images that are currently on the iPad and not in the cloud and I can't download them from the cloud because I have 0bytes available on the tablet??!! See my frustration -_-

I consider my self relatively technical minded but not a wiz kid lol! Can any one relieve me of my stress! I'm off to London tomorrow and envisage many a picture will be taken....

Help!!!

Cheers,

Dave

An ipad is not a photo storage solution, nor is a cloud based setup. The cloud is a good backup and the ipad is useful for viewing, but you need to have an actual computer and hard drive as your primary storage.

have you restarted your ipad since deleting the email accounts? That usually does the trick for freeing up recently deleted space.

rick

Not sure if it would be the same but with iPhone's when you delete a photo it sits in a sort of `deleted items` folder the same way a PC does and it doesn't fully remove until 30 days (just in case you made a mistake). You won't get any free space until after the 30 days or you manually tell it to delete everything.

Some info here if you want to trawl through it:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/181991/my-ipad-camera-roll-says-it-is-using-7-5-gb-after-all-pics-have-been-deleted-for

Your mistake is using your iPad to manage, store and transfer images. I'm not saying that using an iPad is bad, as I use a couple for my photography, basic editing and uploading. Just the act of transferring gigabytes of data through this and relying on it for storage isn't worth risking. Furthermore, you have the added risk of the device being lost or stolen, with potentially sensitive data on the device.

You're using the iPad to store HUGE amounts of data and upload them to iCloud, which isn't what I would call a safe or professional means of managing your images. I've seen iPads wipe themselves and even had the misfortune of deleting someone's only copy of their wedding photos, as they didn't know how to get them off of there, or how to back up the device. The pure irony of it was that I was trying to help save their photos in a better place, but the full iPad and total lack of updating the iOS caused a meltdown and all was lost...

If photography means a lot to you, you need to take care in how you store and transfer your information. You should be saving your data to a PC or laptop, which is then synced to a service, such as Dropbox, iCloud or Google Drive. These services upload and sync your data and do not 'Optimize' storage, which usually means compression (Never ever compress your images). If you do this as a job, or to make money on the side, you also need to be registered with the Information Commissioners' Office. Using an iPad as photo storage and syncing for commercial purposes would probably be a breach of the Data Protection Act, as you wouldn't be taking sufficient steps to protect the identities of the people you photograph (if that's what you take pictures of and do not have a Model Release Form for them).

About the iPhone/iPad storage and Mail issues:

Don't ever let your iDevice get below 1GB of free space. Things start to get a bit slow and unresponsive once you dip below this. The device uses the storage as virtual RAM and you'll notice it really begin to slow and struggle at <300MB. Certainly playing with fire at this stage if you're running anything processor intensive.

Your mismatched mail will be down to a potential couple of issues -

Caching: When you view emails on your device they're downloaded from the server and the data is saved on the device. This allows you to quickly view the email again and often saves data. The cache may not have cleared when you wiped the accounts. Somewhere in the settings you can clear your cache, but I think it only applies to Safari data.

Deleted items/dates: Mail has a setting to purge deleted/old mail after a given time. The default is a week, but you may have yours set to longer on one account over the other.

IMAP/POP: Potentially you've set one account up as POP and the other IMAP. The latter will only download the headers for emails and on-the-fly download data for mail as and when you open the message. POP tends to download everything to the device for offline viewing and ease of access. The downside to POPO is that there is no syncing between devices, so IMAP is always the best setting to use for mobile email.

Chaps, cheers all for the great replies!

Billy - much to consider there certainly with some stuff I didn't even know... Thank you. I know I really need a laptop considering the amount I'm photographing recently possibly next purchase I think...!

The annoying thing is, I've got a hard drive but the family laptop died a death and hasn't been replaced :/ and I bought my iPad to view my images and take to uni bit annoying really!

I'll look into it, because I'm at the stage now where I need a proper setup for editing, managing and storing my images. My iPads done well but I think with what I now do its reaching its limit of capability!

Thanks again all!

David.

If photography means a lot to you, you need to take care in how you store and transfer your information. You should be saving your data to a PC or laptop, which is then synced to a service, such as Dropbox, iCloud or Google Drive.

Prodcuts such as Dropbox or Box have IOS connectivity so you could sync directly from your iPad. You can then access them from either laptop or iPad, edit and replace.

Edited by MrM

Prodcuts such as Dropbox or Box have IOS connectivity so you could sync directly from your iPad. You can then access them from either laptop or iPad, edit and replace.

I'm aware of this. However, the mobile versions of Dropbox ever so slightly (0.5-1%) compress your images. There are forums full of people who have commented on the fact that Dropbox are in denial about this. Also, the EXIF has a mystery tracking code added, which people are seriously questioning.

Again, if you take your photography seriously, don't use mobile Apps to process, transfer or store your photos.

https://blog.night-shade.org.uk/2015/06/dropbox-iphone-camera-upload-changes-photos/

Edit: I mean, all this is completely pointless to worry over if you shoot in anything but RAW.

Edited by Billy.

giphy.gif

I now realise that commenting on posts the moment you wake from a night shift is probably not the best idea.

Note to self, only post when fully awake and read whole thread, and say nothing if you know nothing.

I need caffeine.

Love the gif by the way 😅😅😅

Edited by belly47