Carts for Foxes????

:good: I have just been offerred some more land to shoot on provided i take out some resident foxes that are bothering the lambs. I know that several people on here use 12g to dispatch them, i have a some 30g no 5, is that enough? What do carts do the others on here use to kill foxes?

Its good land, lots of pigeons, bunnies and less that 2 miles form home!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a some 30g no 5, is that enough?

Not unless you are 15-20 yds away MAX !

If your gun is chambered for 3" magnums, then use 42gm+ of 2`s, 1`s or BB`s. I have a real passion for Win XX mags in American 2`s(just a bit smaller than our BB`s).

i have a some 30g no 5, is that enough?

Not unless you are 15-20 yds away MAX !

If your gun is chambered for 3" magnums, then use 42gm+ of 2`s, 1`s or BB`s. I have a real passion for Win XX mags in American 2`s(just a bit smaller than our BB`s).

Agree with HD on this, give it justice, I use 1-5/8th oz No-1's Express, these arn't Mag, but Charlie doesn't like them, Mag will give you a better edge,

BJ.

:good:

f your gun is chambered for 3" magnums, then use 42gm+ of 2`s, 1`s or BB`s. I have a real passion for Win XX mags in American 2`s(just a bit smaller than our BB`s).

My bettinsoli is chambered for 3", but i didnt think you could buy that kind of cart without a variation for it?

Im not a big fan of shooting them but the land is too good a carrot. I want to kill them cleanly. :good:

:good: I have just been offerred some more land to shoot on provided i take out some resident foxes that are bothering the lambs. I know that several people on here use 12g to dispatch them, i have a some 30g no 5, is that enough? What do carts do the others on here use to kill foxes?

Its good land, lots of pigeons, bunnies and less that 2 miles form home!

Would agree with all the lads comments and add it would be advisable to use your guns tightest choke for Fox, personally I have always used BB,s these are standard issue on our Fox drives.

:good: D2D

:good: Thanks for the advice, i have been offerred some bbs, sgs and no2 42g's. I certainly intend to earn my land!

but by the sound of it you dont have the savy mate or experience

Thats very nice of you to say......Not! I have years of rough shooting experience and have stalked foxes close enough to spit on them, i got within 20 yards of a black fox quite recently, but i dont eat them so why shoot it? i just usually choose not to shoot them. And as for the savy..........2 degrees says otherwise :good:

Ah the fox / cartridge debate continues...

Barry, I have found a spare box of Gamebore Buffalo SGs you are welcome to.

Mind you, I wouldn't sweat it - provided it isn't too rangey and you have 3 x 5's lined up in the semi then plug it. Hell, 32gs of 6's will do the job but again no one here would do that or take that shot because everyone here is Peter Perfect... :good:

Think im going to get a box of mag bb's, just incase i get fox trouble with my chickens again this year, wheres best to aim for, head or chest???, as i bet fully choked at close range should be pretty accurate, info appreciated as I am pretty new to shooting :good: and dont want to cause unnessary suffering ect

I'm with Kirky on this one,

The fact you can't eat foxes should have nothing to do with the subject, that saying went out with the ark- its all about vermin control and preservation of other occupants of the land.

As for my choice of cartridge saga 3" 50g No 1's are my choice- less than fiver a box.

As for a clean kill -Do your self a favour ask the farmer for permission to let you gain a firearms cert - Get a 22/250, or .223 and you will see it for sure.

:/

I am an experienced rough shooter of many years, I have chosen not to shoot foxes until now, i have done my research and now i intend to gain experience, and in doing so help a farmer that has a problem. I have also stalked muntjac and got within 35-40 yards so i am no novice.

How else am i supposed to gain experience? Im not without actually doing it am i?.(Kolb's theory of experiential learning ....practice!!!)

I am in the process of getting my Fac, the other farm i shoot on has okayed it, but the farmer wants the job done now and I want the new shooting land!!!! (selfish...yes shooting land down here is like rocking horse poo and if a fox has to die to make that my shoot then c'est la vie!)

:good:

With a shotgun always be aware..Pattern kills - not a pellet!!!

Thanks dude, i am going to use full choke, and put 3 shots in the engine room with my semi :good:

Im not a big fan of shooting them but the land is too good a carrot

you could still stand by your principles and keep the shoot.

ask a shooter of here who has the appropriate rifle to give you a hand,

that way no foxes would suffer. a shot gun for my first fox would not be a gun i picked.

The cart I prefer for foxes is Remington Express 3.5" 64gm BB. Patterns well in my gun and holds 115 pellets. Am out of them at the moment so the next best for my shotgun is the Remmy 3" 50gm Magnum 0's. I wouldn't go below 0's if you're going out after foxes specially. Smaller shot will kill them but there'll be an amount of luck involved and you'll need to be a lot closer. Never hesitate to give a second or other barrel if you have even the slightest feeling the fox needs it.

I've not fully read this thread but as has probably been said get as close as you can, don't be shooting over 40 yards. The best position for the fox to be in is sideways to you, that way the pattern has as much of the fox available to hit as possible. The worst way to shoot a fox is when he's moving away from you, I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. Anytime I've seen it done it's never worked.

If you can lip squeak (I can't to save my life) it'll be handy for any fox that's sitting behind something looking over it at you. If not, something that sounds like a mouse squeek may be handy, or a cheap caller like the WAM.

Mark has a good point, get a mate to nail it with a rifle if you know someone. Most shooters are pretty helpful if asked nicely. If you can't find anyone, then I have Express supergame 42g #1 in my 12g for anything big. I've not shot a fox yet but from the mess they make of my thick timber pattern board no fox is going to take that in the chest and run away :good:

I am an experienced rough shooter of many years, I have chosen not to shoot foxes until now, i have done my research and now i intend to gain experience, and in doing so help a farmer that has a problem. I have also stalked muntjac and got within 35-40 yards so i am no novice.

How else am i supposed to gain experience? Im not without actually doing it am i?.(Kolb's theory of experiential learning ....practice!!!)

I am in the process of getting my Fac, the other farm i shoot on has okayed it, but the farmer wants the job done now and I want the new shooting land!!!! (selfish...yes shooting land down here is like rocking horse poo and if a fox has to die to make that my shoot then c'est la vie!)

With a shotgun always be aware..Pattern kills - not a pellet!!!

Thanks dude, i am going to use full choke, and put 3 shots in the engine room with my semi :good:

If your not sure of how your gun will pattern with BB,s, before you encounter a fox, get a couple of 5 ltr oil cans, imagine these to be the size of the engine room, pace out your expected range and have a go at med and max range, you might be surprised at the result...... better to do this now before you possibly leave a fox crippled :/

:good: D2D

:good: Thanks for all the positive replies. If I cant get it or dont feel confident, i will ask someone. The land is only cleared with the police for 12g and at the moment, while its fresh and hes getting to trust me, i dont want to hassle him.

I have taken d2ds comments on board and will try the carts that i have on targets before i try the real thing, there is a pattern board on the farm itself.

The advice about no more than 40 yards is sound, i fully understand the limits of my weapon in this situation. :good:

If your not sure of how your gun will pattern with BB,s, before you encounter a fox, get a couple of 5 ltr oil cans, imagine these to be the size of the engine room........

A foxes vitals side on will be no more than 4" x 4" and nothing like a 5 ltr oil can !!!!!!!!