Treating shed mould

hedge

Dear PW Knowledge base,

My other half has a wooden clad stables that seems to have black mould/mildew all over it.

We treated it maybe 2 years ago with a spirit based wood preserve, either Cuprinol or Ronseal and it looked really good. It has obviously weathered a lot and it's time to treat it again.

Now it has the black mildew type spores sort of on the surface but also ingrained in the surface of the wood.

I've had a good Google and can't find a conclusive solution.

Some suggest bleach, scrub and rinse - dry out and use wood preserve.

Others suggest something like Lumberjack treatment that should do everything in one.

So - what's the best way to treat the mould/mildew and then a decent preservative to keep it protected and looking nice? Is there an all in one solution?

Thanks in advance.

This stuff is brilliant. I use it on my patio stones, wooden fencing and wood shed. Shop around for the best price. I bought 20 ltrs (4x5) for £35 via Amazon.

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/simply-spray-walk-away-concentrate-patio--decking--fencing---mould-algae-moss-remover-5-litres/p-3254185-6996640?gclid=CL293MqYlM4CFQgSGwod8FMLAA

Thanks for the quick answers.

I've done a small test patch tonight with bleach to see how that goes.

Not keen on Creosote (can you still buy it?)

Ideally I'd like to treat it and then maybe whack Cuprinol on again. I'm having a look at the stuff suggested by Steve B as well.

The cause? I don't know. Sweaty pony? PC could be right. Maybe I should clarify that this is on the OUTSIDE. I think it needs a spring clean every year to keep on top of it.

Still open to ideas!

Why's that? You can still buy creosote, and creosote treated fencing timber is still readily available.

I came across this:

In July 2003, it became an offence for the general public to purchase and apply Coal Tar Creosote. However, the product is still available for sale to trades-people. This means the traditional user such as the agricultural community, builders, etc. are still able to purchase Coal Tar Creosote, providing they do not resell to the general householder.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that only genuine trade’s people/professional users are supplied.