LI-ION 18650 Batteries

wymberley

A multimeter.

:good: A good quality multimeter (Fluke multimeter).

I put on for a full charge and an hour later test the voltage and mark it on the battery, anything bellow 3.7v I recycle. The rest I check 24 hours later to see if anything has lost any charge, any that have dropped 0.3v or more go for recycling too.

Of these 9:

7 charged to 4.20v and two charged to 4.19v all held the charge and 24 hours later are all identical voltage readings :):good::good:

So am up 9 batterys for my single battery T38 and T50 :yahoo:

Edited by salop sniper

Just be very careful when using the laptop batteries.

The reason these cells are so much cheaper than buying the proper ones is they have no charge/discharge protection built in to the cell.

This stops them overcharging or discharging at too high a rate normally.

With the laptop battery where the cells are strung together, the protection circuitry is in the case and protects all the batteries but that will now be in the bin.

Make sure you use a proper charger capable of monitoring this type of battery and not a generic cheap battery charger.

You don't want this kind of battery overheating and setting on fire as it gets very scary!

Edited by ChrisPCarter

It's good advice Chris. The first time I charged mine I used my torch charger. I placed the loaded charger inside a large Pyrex casserole dish and then periodically checked the batteries for heat. I think I will put them in this dish every time I charge as it separates them from anything else combustible.

Ian, I'd be tempted to charge unprotected cells outside. Under a car port or other cover, if they go Tonto for whatever reason the gasses aren't very pleasant to inhale. Personally, for the sake of a few quid, I'd always use a quality, protected, cell like Panasonics.

Perhaps I'm just over cautious?

+1

I've had a similar discussion elsewhere about Chinese Cree LED torches and dubious batteries and chargers.

Personally - for piece of mind (my missus has made it very clear the dogs/house come first) - I've decided it's not worth the hassle as I want batteries and chargers that work that don't need to be observed 24/7, put in Pyrex or charged outside.

I just don't think it's worth the risk. I'll keep running red diesel though.....

I have been using Ultrafire 5600mah 18650's for a year or so in my lamps and NV set up and they are about as good as any of the big label brands I've tried and according to my charger they hold 4600mah or there abouts.

batteries 190975348871

Charger/discharger 262293163356

Battery holder to charge/cycle two at a time 331617679656

The charger will charge, discharge or cycle the batteries and leave them full ready to go and tell you how much charge it managed to get into them. As I say I have been using this for over a year and the difference you get when you cycle the batteries is quite surprising and what you think is a knackered battery is suddenly brought back to life.

Hope this helps

I have been using Ultrafire 5600mah 18650's for a year or so in my lamps and NV set up and they are about as good as any of the big label brands I've tried and according to my charger they hold 4600mah or there abouts.

batteries 190975348871

Charger/discharger 262293163356

Battery holder to charge/cycle two at a time 331617679656

The charger will charge, discharge or cycle the batteries and leave them full ready to go and tell you how much charge it managed to get into them. As I say I have been using this for over a year and the difference you get when you cycle the batteries is quite surprising and what you think is a knackered battery is suddenly brought back to life.

Hope this helps

Ouch - sorry to wee on ya chips but there are no 5600 mah 18650's, The current very best are 3400 to my knowledge.

I also rather suspect that balance charger will not balance charge two batteries in that type of battery holder. They need to be connected and charged separately unless charged in a pack that are wired in with a balance charger so each battery's circuit gets an individual charge/analysis.

Ouch - sorry to wee on ya chips but there are no 5600 mah 18650's, The current very best are 3400 to my knowledge.

I also rather suspect that balance charger will not balance charge two batteries in that type of battery holder. They need to be connected and charged separately unless charged in a pack that are wired in with a balance charger so each battery's circuit gets an individual charge/analysis.

Not interested in what is or is not available, they are labelled as 5600mah, and from testing them individually on a discharge/charge cycle both my Imax charger (Cheap but not so nasty!) and my ProPeak Prodigy charger put around 4600mah into them. That's not to say that you'll get 4600 back out though.

I also have some Sanyo 18650's that I purchased new and 4 x Efest and I can confirm that in use and when tested with the chargers the Ultrafires last longer. As an aside, the Ultrafire batteries weigh more than the other two brands I have tested.

Please don't tell me that nice man from China was telly me porkies.....

post-20848-0-49884700-1473264443_thumb.jpg

:lol::good:

• 2 weeks later...