Cartridge size query

Hello, I've recently bought a old Joseph braddell and sons 7263 side by side, not sure how old it is possible 1930's-1940's and the barrels are stamped nitro proof 12g 21/2". The chap I bought it from said he shot 2 3/4 cartridges out off it no problem, is this safe? I also told him I wanted to take it out Wildfowling as well as clay shooting with me and he said steel shot would be fine through it just avoid big size loads as it would kick more. Would you chaps recommend this or just keep it as a pigeon gun etc? It's my first old gun so I'm not quite sure, apologies if this has already been asked I trawled through the old posts but couldn't see one.

Kind regards

Iain

Never exceed the specified cartridge length for the chamber as when the cartridge is fired the end opens up allowing free passage of the shot and wad. If you run a longer cartridge the area in the chamber that is there to allow for the cartridge to open up has gone so the bore diameter is reduced possibly causing the wad to jam and in the worst case barrel damage can happen.

I have never used steel shot and on a gun that old I would not know if it can be used or not, consult a gun shop, or some of the people who are experienced with steel shot could advise you.

Edited by BerettaSV10

More advice of the same. It says 2 1/2 use 2 1/2. They will do the same job as 2 3/4 if you do. Steel would be a complete NO! NO! in a gun of that age. Great pity a ) to wreck a nice old gun and b) injure yourself in doing so. I would certainly take it to a friendly gunsmith who has the ability to check the viability of the barrels.
If someone is so stupid as to suggest you can use steel through it, they might just have had/done something to the barrels which invalidates the proof. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Don't know what happened there . This did not come up when I posted and then both came up. Can't find how to delete either.

Edited by Walker570

More of the same advice. By all means have the gun checked over by a reputable gunsmith to see if it is still in proof and safe to shoot. If the idiot who suggested you shoot steel had shot steel he could have caused irreversible damage. Way back when before 2 3/4 inch cartridges where available I shot a BSA 12 gauge sbs which was my grandfathers. It had 2 1/2 inch chambers. He and I shot hundreds , maybe thousands of partridge, pigeon, rabbit, hares, ducks, snipe, woodcock and the occasional fox too with that gun which I still have. A time came when Eley brought out the Maximum, a 2 1/2 cartridge with a touch more umph but could be fed through a standard gun. I shot a lot of ducks with those Maximum 5s and I know my grandfather used them specifically for the occasional fox as it slipped into our hen pen area. I don't know if Maximums are still made, if they are then they are ones to use for that extra range and hitting power. Lots of other 2 1/2 inch shells made which will do the job. Enjoy your gun. Nothing like going shooting with an old one, just thinking of the tales they could tell if they could talk.

Thank you walker for the advise that is great, I will keep my eyes peeled for those. I've been after a old gun for a while and really looking forward to shooting it, that's a nice story about shooting your old one good memory's I bet. I think I'm going to get it checked over first tho like you said to be on the safe side. The bloke I bought it off was late 60's, he said he shot it at 15, it was his uncles before that. I felt sad he wanted to sell it, I would have kept it being a family gun/ memory's but hey hoy I get to treasure it now! Atb Iain

If a gun is chambered for 2.1/2 inch cartridge then never exceed that , lets not for get that if your gun is old then 99.9% of cartridges used when the gun was made would have had a rolled turnover. Today 2.1/2 inch cartridges come in two sizes 65m and 67m and most have a crimp turnover, on the latter the crimp opens into the forcing cone and will make extra recoil ,my advice go for the 65m

Feltwad

Thank you feltwad for your advise, I didn't know that so that's good to know. I looked last night gamebore do some regal ones for game that look ok, just need to do some research of a good 65mm clay cartridge. I expect to pay more of a premium for these but that's the price you pay for having something old I suppose.

Guest cookoff013

If a gun is chambered for 2.1/2 inch cartridge then never exceed that , lets not for get that if your gun is old then 99.9% of cartridges used when the gun was made would have had a rolled turnover. Today 2.1/2 inch cartridges come in two sizes 65m and 67m and most have a crimp turnover, on the latter the crimp opens into the forcing cone and will make extra recoil ,my advice go for the 65m

Feltwad

Feltwad

the cip have a statement that 67mm and 65mm can be used with 2.5" chambers.

why will the crimp opening up, increase recoil? makes no sense.

Hello, I've recently bought a old Joseph braddell and sons 7263 side by side, not sure how old it is possible 1930's-1940's and the barrels are stamped nitro proof 12g 21/2". The chap I bought it from said he shot 2 3/4 cartridges out off it no problem, is this safe? I also told him I wanted to take it out Wildfowling as well as clay shooting with me and he said steel shot would be fine through it just avoid big size loads as it would kick more. Would you chaps recommend this or just keep it as a pigeon gun etc? It's my first old gun so I'm not quite sure, apologies if this has already been asked I trawled through the old posts but couldn't see one.

Kind regards

Iain

Won,t be proofed for steel. Seek professional advice from gunsmith/armourer as to safe loads to use.

Guest cookoff013

It seems you donot understand my answer given when the crimp enters the forcing cone it causes more restriction this increases the recoil

Feltwad

increased pressures yes,

recoil ? recoil is because the shot goes at speed.

i dont think more restriction means more recoil.

Won,t be proofed for steel. Seek professional advice from gunsmith/armourer as to safe loads to use.

Thanks I won't be putting steel through it after all the helpful advise and only be using the correct 65mm cartridges. I'm glad I checked on here first some people would take it as per say and could end up in tears or damage gun.

Eley First Select 2 1/2" (65mm) 7.5 > 9. 21 - 28g, plastic and fibre wad c. £40 for 250. Pigeons, crows, partridge and pheasants have all succumbed to these too in the 7.5 flavour.

Thank you feltwad for your advise, I didn't know that so that's good to know. I looked last night gamebore do some regal ones for game that look ok, just need to do some research of a good 65mm clay cartridge. I expect to pay more of a premium for these but that's the price you pay for having something old I suppose.

Edited by Penelope

Good discussion. Just spotting the Braddell name on the gun. Joseph Braddells closed for good this year. There was a small fire as the shop was opening and it never reopened. Pity, as it was the last gun dealer shop left in Belfast city. Plenty of others outside the town though.

Hi, I was doing a bit more research and I saw the same, sad as it was going in the late 1800's, I've just sent some images to Birmingham proof museum trying to find the date, I got to 1924 but there's a few I cannot desipher so hopefully will find out if there kind enough to reply. I'd put some pics up but cannot work out how to do it on the iPad ( tried before but it wouldn't let me ). Thank you tho for the information tho.

Eley First Select 2 1/2" (65mm) 7.5 > 9. 21 - 28g, plastic and fibre wad c. £40 for 250. Pigeons, crows, partridge and pheasants have all succumbed to these too in the 7.5 flavour.

Just to be pedantic, although designed for a minimum chamber length of 2&1/2" (65mm), these are actually 67mm and as such are perfectly acceptable. Any increase in recoil is only perceived in the mind of the individual shooter.