Profiteering

Provided lead is universally priced in dollars like oil.

My point remains that when the cartridges were manufactured there wasn't the premium on lead or the exchange rate, the extra £20 is pure profit.

But the stock has to be replaced, by the manufacturer and the RFD.

As you buy these cartridges there are more being made at the higher costs.

I'm not saying that I agree with it but I see how it goes.

I was told last week that my cartridge supplier ha's put up their prices up by £10/1000 across their whole range!

Edd

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Selling an item at the new cost is not profiteering , it is business. It has always been like that and it always will be like that the reason there are more failed businesses than successful ones is most people don`t really grasp how a successful business works.

From the English dictionary

profiteer
a person who takes advantage of a situation in which other people are suffering to make a profit, often by selling goods that are difficult to get at a high price:

When I first left school and worked at a garage, part of which had Petrol Pumps.

My boss was on at me in an instant to get the higher prices up on the board and pumps ( even though we hadn't had a delivery), yet he was a lot slower when the prices decreased????

Hmmmm, I wonder why

( even though we hadn't had a delivery)

Another person not getting it.

Just take a second to think about the value of the stock when prices increases. If you own a petrol can and it has £10 of fuel in it, but overnight the price of petrol doubles, your can is now worth £20.

I just checked and it looks like some petrol stations hold over a million litres of fuel, so for every penny the price goes up for them, their stock is worth £10,000 less, until they move their price.

Edited by Billy.

I have a small IT business and you'd be amazed how many times people tell me my products and support should be free.

I've chased unpaid monthly bills for web hosting and had people tell me "it doesn't cost you anything, it's just a bit of disk space in a data centre, you don't actually do any work for it each month".

They don't see that I have costs and wages to pay, that I am renting space in a multi-million pound data centre, running 24/7 with very expensive ultra-reliable servers, backup systems, huge energy bills, standby generators, multiple power and internet connections into the building, staff there 24/7 to support it etc etc

They don't see me working at home (right now at 2am) updating web servers and websites and installing software out of hours to avoid disruption, doing my invoicing that's already late this month.

No it doesn't cost anything does it?!

I just mention their website and email will be switched off and as if by magic the service is suddenly of great value to them.

In business you have to make money at every opportunity just to keep afloat, doing things cheap for people just devalues your skills and you end up busy making no profits.

Some people just don't get it and if they moan about paying a £10 bill then they can go elsewhere.

Oh Billy-- I fully 'get it'

It's called 'Business' or put another way--- if someone offered you more for say a gun you had for sale and their offer was more than you paid, would you turn it down and say " no no, I only paid x for it so have it at what I paid"

Based on your analogy, I really don't think you get it.

Edited by Billy.

Billy

Should you be utilising LIFO, FIFO or one of the many ways of determining the 'on the day' ,cost of the stock that you have!

Which ever method has an influence in determining at what point you apply increases or reductions in pricing.

But, as stated- Business who hold stock are effectively loosing money be it from sales or interest /investments.

So if the opportunity comes along to sell your £10 can of fuel for £20 then I'm sure that ALL business's would do so.

Returning to the original topic, I have noticed that Italian Fiocchi cartridges have not gone up in price but Gamebore, which are manufactured in UK have.

Defeats the theory that it's all down to exchange rates. If it is can we now expect prices to drop as the UK pound has improved against the dollar and euro.

Returning to the original topic, I have noticed that Italian Fiocchi cartridges have not gone up in price but Gamebore, which are manufactured in UK have.

Defeats the theory that it's all down to exchange rates. If it is can we now expect prices to drop as the UK pound has improved against the dollar and euro.

Nope.

Then we should all buy the fiocchi shell. Market forces et al, and after all we are the market.

They may be old stock etc. (trying to give UK manufacturers the benefit of the doubt).