Union Men/Women

Davyo

Possibly there is more one union in the workplace so both would have their H&S rep.There two in my work and both have reps,time and again they have to push management to get things done including getting the fire alarm system functioning fully.This took over a year with the local manager putting his fingers in his ears shutting his eyes pretending the problem didn't exist.

I don't have a vote as not a member of the Union

So presumably you will refuse to take any benefits in pay, terms and conditions the recognised workplace trade union negotiators secure on behalf of their members?

Or are you happy to take the benefits the union win for their members without paying your whack and playing your part in supporting your co worker union colleagues in their ongoing struggle for better pay and conditions for all employees?

If you think the trade union is toothless and ineffectual, the biggest reason is because people like you do not support it!

If your not in the union..............the law stipulates you can take all the workplace benefits it wins........but you ain't got the moral right to critisise it or the conduct of their elected officials!

I'm not denying a lot of it is needed but some stuff is pure silly.

If you spill something or if the floors dirty , clean it up. Simples

I also believe in machines stopping in time etc but my mate has to fill an assessment before each hole he digs for the highway and this is with a shovel . He's digging 60 holes a day and using piles of paper.

I enforce dust masks and ear protection but it's common sense. We use hardwoods that damage your breathing but H&S says we are ok without in our shop.

I do believe some places take the Micky tho

Hope you face fitted them for the type of masks you issued.

The reason for rams before any groundwork is due to the high amount of cock ups going through services or not shoring up the excavations,lots have been buried in collapses.

I do agree some is unnecessary to a point.

Hope you face fitted them for the type of masks you issued.

The reason for rams before any groundwork is due to the high amount of cock ups going through services or not shoring up the excavations,lots have been buried in collapses.

I do agree some is unnecessary to a point.

We supply the correct masks to suit the material used , P3 and of a good quality ;)

Im talking holes for the likes of trees and posts :)

Common sense needs to take over at some point .

I have been a shop steward for 24 years with my present company during that time myself and my fellow shop stewards have achieved above inflation pay rises for most of those years taken health and safety levels from 0 to levels that would be the envy of a lot of companys negotiated a length of service related reward scheme and also we were heavily involved in setting up the present pension scheme which pays way above the required government limit as well as helping to introduce a generous sick pay scheme .On the health and safety area I have been a qualified first aider trained by the local para medics for 30years and apart from the usual cuts burns and broken limbs I was involved in helping a severely injured man who had fallen from the top of pipe gantry on to a concrete floor so perhaps we are not all useless bone idle union people as some on here might think we have generated good relationship with the company sure it has not been roses all the way but I think that we have achieved quite a lot and are not as described by some of the above.

Well said, the Union at my workplace have been very useful to me over the years.

I wouldn't be without my membership.

I do wonder at the thinking behind some of the posters in this thread, slating genuine Union guys but happy to accept the benefits won through hard work.