How do i start shooting

smokinbarrels

Evening Gents,

I'm a fresh out the box shooter looking to take up pigeon shooting. How do i go about obtaining land to shoot and what equipment do i need? If anybody has any imformation on DVD's or books that i can read, please shout up!!

I live in north yorkshire and would like to shadow a few people to learn the ropes, if anybody would like to take me up i'd be very gratefull.

Many thanks Q

Welcome!

Have a look around, there is loads of info here!

Gaining shooting permission is worth reading for an hour, you will go from "I don't have a clue" to asking farmers in no time.

Where you live there is a "group" called NPPC (and a section on here for them) - an organisation you can join and you get a bunch of farms to shoot over.

Pigeon decoying isn't a science, its an art :stupid:

There are loads of good books, DVD's and other material to be had. Join in, don't be afraid to ask questions in the sections appropriate!

Most of all, learn to shoot. Get on them clays first, pigeon shooting isn't easy! :)

welcome the best advice i could give you is get some clay busting done first and probably get a few shotgun lessons from a shooting coach first they give you some really good advice and tips especially on gun safety which is paramount. you never know you might actually find some one at the shooting grounds willing to take you under there wing good luck Diesel30

Get yourself Archie Coates book.

Its magic I tell thee :good:

:good: definitely the way to go!

oh and welcome :P

hi -- i,ve got shooting pigeons by john humpreys , foreword by Archie coats , old-ish book 1991 , but a v.good read

£10 posted if interested .

Darren .

Hi Waldini,

I'd love to take up the offer of a days shooting over at Hovingham. I know the area, my grandparents were farmers over at Malton. Just name the date and i'll be over like a flash.

Once again, thanks for the offer Q

p.s you can contact me at qeaton07@aol.com :angry:

Hold on guys don't you think that as he's not shot before (from the sound of it) he should get himself down to his local clay bustin' club and have someone intro him to the art, the etiquette and most importantly the safety aspects of the game. It scares the hell out of me that people can simply get themselves a gun and go shooting without any lessons, intro etc. After all you can't go driving without a licence or an instructor why then let someone loose with a lethal weapon. To my mind it's just barmy given all the problems gun owners face in todays oh so PC world!

get yourself down the clay shooting ground for a few lessons. you must be accurate in order to kill your birds cleanly. But more importantly you must be safe :angry:

i am sure most people agree it doesn't matter if you are poor shot to start with accuracy comes with practice however you must be a SAFE shot from the start a shotgun blast at close range is terribly destructive and the consequences do not bear thinking about. read everything you can on pigeon shooting, though a little dated archie coates book on pigeon shooting still has a wealth of info in it for the novice and is cheap as anything to pick up anywhere.