Satellite broadband

herby

Hi all

Firstly hope everyone has a good festive period or the best it can be ha

I have Sky broadband and the landline and T.V

My download speed is 0.3 average 1mb at best very occasionally just not good enough to do anything.

I want to get a decent speed and possibly ditch Sky all together.

I have a Humax 1000 box somewhere but I can get a new TV/Box/Broadband/ whatever to make life a lot easier. I don't watch football just documentaries so to get Discovery (I don't have it now) would be good.

So what would you do in my shoes?

I know there are many threads on here and I have read them all but none really have such poor speeds as I get and I am very rural so no cable.

Thanks in advance

Thanks Crowman.

I am downloading that now Martyn but may take a few hours haha

How do you find the broadband? I heard its bad in bad weather? I wouldn't think I use a lot but might go up if I watch tv over broadband so could become expencive just for bradband

hi I had this in lot in my house http://www.quickline.co.uk

It was good for me with 4 kids on Xbox iPads but dose cost a lot

Thanks Crowman.

I am downloading that now Martyn but may take a few hours haha

How do you find the broadband? I heard its bad in bad weather? I wouldn't think I use a lot but might go up if I watch tv over broadband so could become expencive just for bradband

With regard to the satellite service - its the same service whatever the weather.

I find the 20gb does my wife and I fine(general searching, fb, instagram etc) You have to ration TV programs a bit. Maybe a 2 or 3 a month. I think you can get unlimited for about £75/month. Even if you go over you're allocation, it just throttles the speed to 1mb.

Edit - I thought you were replying to me sorry!

Edited by Highlandladdie

Some sat packages are unlimited downloads over night, so you can download content without it killing your allowance. It's not cheap and the set up isn't usually free!

Have you looked at 4g have had amazing download on EE in some very rural areas...

Read you post and got me thinking.....I've just hotspot with my phone and the fire stick is in full flow no lagging.

Merry Christmas 🎅🏻🎅🏻

BT were only able to offer around 1meg where I live, when I would have eventually been connected, close by waited 12 months, BT wiring in the house, with all the hassle I have had in the past with them decided they were not a viable option.

so looked at the alternatives, decided in the end on an EE dongle, £25 odd a month, 16 gig, just checked my speed whilst typing this 13.4, best I've seen 27+

Go on BT web site and see what they recommend your broadband line speed should be, if it's lower than that chances are you have a fault on the line. We had satalite to start was very good ( had a 60gb package ) but after the first month they slowed us down because we was using to much, and with the ping witch was over a second. Web browsing became very slow by this time we was tied in to a two year package, even done a test and when your not using it the mb counter was going up. In the end we moved to BT and eventually they sorted the line problem, but before when we was with aol is was one blaming the other.

If you do sign up just be careful of their far usage policy.

Thanks for replys.

I am on EE with my mobile and I have a EE booster connected to my wifi as signal is not very good inside. Would there be a mast I can put on my roof to get a better signal?

Yes you can get an external antenna for mobiles not sure how well they work with 4G I'll dig you a link out for a supplier of such things

Give these guys a call in the new year

http://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-xpol-a0001.html

Edited by HDAV

We're in the middle of nowhere, .3mb landline broadband, which struggles to do anything, so we use an EE 4g SIM in a Router and get 50-60 mb speeds, 32 gig package for about 25 quid

4G! 3G would be nice..........come to think of it, signal would be nice. Seriously wondering why even I have a mobile phone, total waste of money.

4G! 3G would be nice..........come to think of it, signal would be nice. Seriously wondering why even I have a mobile phone, total waste of money.

You can get a signal 3g thing that connects to your wifi so at least you can get a mobile signal in the house using your satellite internet.

Best just move house Herby it's the only way you are going to get decent speeds without paying a small fortune each month. If your in a village see if you can get fibre optic brought in, some other rural places have.

I know. The village down the road to me has had a fibre duct put into it but 8 mile away at my friends house they have had the fibre cable dangling from the telegraph post outside his house for the past three month while he sufferes poor speeds too so I am still going to be waiting about a year anyway

Our router is similar, but not exactly the same as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B593s-22-Unlocked-Wireless-Router/dp/B009QW3ZG4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1482783040&sr=8-10&keywords=4g%2Brouter&th=1

It's really good, gives a good, constant speed, never drops the signal and doesn't need an external antenna, used with EEs wifi calling system you'll get mobile service where you normally couldn't.