Rav4 Gearbox

Mr.C

Just when I thought I'd got away light on the Chrimbo front up jumps 5th gear and decides its had enough. So this is the longest of long shots, if you have a gearbox for a 2000-2005 lying around in perfectly serviceable condition pm me please as I've been quoted silly money.

Cheers lads done some more homework and HDAV it is a known issue. You can buy repair kits and according to youtube it can be done in situ by taking off the end cover of the gear box. Kit is 200 plus 2-3 hours. Cheaper than te thick end of a grand I was quoted, would have just about written it off. Fingers crossed.

Cheers lads done some more homework and HDAV it is a known issue. You can buy repair kits and according to youtube it can be done in situ by taking off the end cover of the gear box. Kit is 200 plus 2-3 hours. Cheaper than te thick end of a grand I was quoted, would have just about written it off. Fingers crossed.

This.

Luckily, 5th gear is at the outside of the gearbox. You go in through the passenger wheel arch, take the end case off the 'box and the cog/assembly to replace is right infront of you.

As you say, it's a known problem. Take it to a independent garage if your not confident/able to do the job yourself... Toyota dealer 'by the book' procedure is to take engine and gearbox right out of the car, which makes it a massive job and they charge ££££ for it.

My nephew's RAV4 is limping with a dodgy gearbox at the moment. It does appear to be a weakness.

In the past we have found getting a gearbox rebuilt by a local and very trusted place near where I live has been a very successful and cost effective option compared to the "needs a new gearbox mate" attitude of some garages.

• 2 weeks later...

Its sorted. Cost £200 in bits for a pair of gears and a split needle roller bearing. However there are several variations in terms of number of teeth so would advise you find out which you need.

N/S wheel off, plastic guard off, gearbox end plate off and your in. Had to make a puller but with the right equipment it's a 1-2 hours work.

We've a rav and it appears they actually have another flaw worth checking. The fuel filler pipe that goes to the tank is metal and is under a guard in the wheel arch. This gets mud trapped and rusts and starts leaking..... ours has gone already on an 09 plate. Well worth having a look and cleaning once in a while

We've a rav and it appears they actually have another flaw worth checking. The fuel filler pipe that goes to the tank is metal and is under a guard in the wheel arch. This gets mud trapped and rusts and starts leaking..... ours has gone already on an 09 plate. Well worth having a look and cleaning once in a while

Whilst that's a good 'heads up' to check for, it is a different model vehicle. Yours, on an 09 plate, is the vehicle which replaced my Rav, a 55 plate, which is the model with 5th gear issues.

• 2 weeks later...