Speculative letter to potential employer

Wb123

My better half's employer have an unexpected vacancy. I know on a work night out two weeks back they mooted the idea of contracting me in for the odd days work here and there with some positivity, so now I am trying to write a speculative letter to the appropriate director to try and put forward my CV.

Any tips for writing these? Most of my usual job applications go through computers designed to turn us into numbers to avoid discrimination. No letters or even interviews are often included, so my skills are somewhat lacking for this task.

There are lots of templates and advice on the web these days. Tailor the CV for the job role you are applying for, don't just fire off a generic one. Write a good cover note, highlight your experience in relevant areas. That's what I was told/found out when I updated my CV not long ago. Didn't need to send it off in the end, a good exercise though. I'm sure someone with more experience will chip in with some more hints/tips.

So far a bottle of red has failed to help as much as usual. It feels like applying for university again. I will sleep on it, cringe at what i have spat onto paper, and rehash it tomorrow.

It seemed like it would be an easy five minute job, i was profoundly wrong.

In the first instance you could make a less formal approach rather than send in a CV unsolicited. Smaller companies often like to bring people in who are more of a known quantity and can be less rigid in their recruitment procedures.

"Dear X

I understand from AAA that there may be a vacancy in BBB department for a CCC. She has a very good opinion of the company and I would be very interested in learning more about this position. (Optional - you could mention briefly what you are doing now) If you feel that it would be useful, I shall forward my CV.

Yours sincerely, (if you are writing to a named person, otherwise "Yours faithfully" if it is to "Dear Sirs" )

Joe Bloggs (probably better if you use your own name!)

Dear Sir

I am lead to believe you have expressed an interest in offering me occasional work within the XXXXX Department of XXXXXXX Ltd.

I would be very happy to discuss the matter and can be available for an initial interview with a little notice.

I can either forward my CV or bring it with me.

Yours Faithfully

Wb123

All you need to write is :-

I understand there is a vacancy

I am interested

I enclose my CV for you consideration

Thank you

Flesh this out with appropriate detail

This - but make sure you tell them why you're ideal for the job - i.e "I have the relevant skills X, Y and Z" .Make it easy for them to understand why you are suitable and make sure it stands out on your CV.

Since the possible appointment was previously discussed, can't you go straight to the relevant person and cut out the formal approach?

Is it possible to just wander in and have a chat with the person on an informal basis, most likely if they already toying with the idea of contracting you in the will make it easy for you and take you on or if you need to go through the system help you along with what you need to put.

A thought. Don't put all of your earning eggs in one basket?

It would likely be a few days a month around my main employment, a Saturday job as i explained it to the current boss prepping him incase he is asked to provide a reference. I will be keeping my full time job elsewhere.

The only potential problem may be finding indemnity that makes such small volume work cost effective.

She had a chat, they didn't even look at our work, and the director has asked me to contact with availability to be shown around and discuss a potential contract post.

Now I need to try and work out what I might be asked and what sort of financial arrangements are the ballpark to negotiate.

If you do need to fill in a cv make it a little more interesting than the 8 I read this morning. We have 3 coming for interviews out of the 12 we recieved.

I hate CV filling. Some say make it as long as you need but write a good cover letter, others say short and sweet but perfectly tailored to the post. Mine is about 20 pages but for most jobs i do i expect someone would read the table of contents and look only at one or two pages, but would want to know the rest was there.

If you do need to fill in a cv make it a little more interesting than the 8 I read this morning. We have 3 coming for interviews out of the 12 we recieved.

That is a good rate of return!

I used to explain to the lads that if a chap in an office receives 100 letters containing CVs, 10% probably wouldn't be opened because of poor handwriting on the envelope.

Once opened the remainig 90 would be glanced at and any untidy ones would be binned, now down to 80, they are read and probably another 20 go to the bin because they waffle on a bit.

Now we have 60 CVs to consider, a closer look reveals spelling mistakes and another 10 go to the bin.

Of the remaining 50, possibly 12 or 15 might be worth calling for an interview.

I know the chap that interviewed me later told me that another candidate had sniffed throughout her interview and that was enough for her to fail.

When you have to spot quality from a CV or in a short interview first impressions count.

• 2 weeks later...

My better half's employer have an unexpected vacancy. I know on a work night out two weeks back they mooted the idea of contracting me in for the odd days work here and there with some positivity, so now I am trying to write a speculative letter to the appropriate director to try and put forward my CV.

Any tips for writing these? Most of my usual job applications go through computers designed to turn us into numbers to avoid discrimination. No letters or even interviews are often included, so my skills are somewhat lacking for this task.

If you were speaking to them two weeks ago,then surely contact them direct for an informal talk,which would then lead onto you submitting a formal application.