Combo boiler question

Wiggum

We have a Glow worm 100e combo fitted and recently we've noticed that the hot water isn't as hot as it used to be it's especially noticeable when having a shower and if we run a bath you can't run the hot tap full bore or the water is luke warm, after doing abit of research online I think I've narrowed the cause down to the plate to plate heat exchanger but wondered if we have any heating engineers on here who can think of another explanation?

I'm considering maybe replacing the boiler with another combi in the summer can anyone suggest anywhere that supplies Combi's cheap looking at a 30kw ideal or similar thanks

Had the same with my.old.combi and it was always scale in the heat exchanger, whipped it out and bathed it in acid a few times which helped a little but the best bet is to swap it out, either buy a pattern part which is cheaper or look at the manufacturers website, most manufacturers of all things electrical.and mechanical will do a fixed price repair, I think our old one cost £130 and that was all labour and parts from.a trained engineer who carried spares, that was a few years back but it's worth a look

It's one of the downsides of modern more fuel efficient boilers - they're simply carp

We had our boiler changed for a new Carlos fandango Combi and lost our hot water cylinder, Now you can't run a bath coz the water in the bath goes cold whilst running the hot water tap slow enough to be heated properly :mad: and we can run the shower full chat on just the hot water tap alone.

Edited by TaxiDriver

Clean out the heat exchanger.

Fit a water softener - by which I mean a proper ion exchange softener that uses salt, not one of the snake-oil magnetic or electronic jobbies.

Set up the softener to give 10-20ppm hardness, and make sure you keep the salt topped up.

No more problem with blocked hws heat exchanger.

Edited by CaptainBeaky

It's one of the downsides of modern more fuel efficient boilers - they're simply carp

We had our boiler changed for a new Carlos fandango Combi and lost our hot water cylinder, Now you can't run a bath coz the water in the bath goes cold whilst running the hot water tap slow enough to be heated properly :mad: and we can run the shower full chat on just the hot water tap alone.

Your boiler is not set up properly then

I would get a competent engineer in to go over it and check things like thermistor resistance in Ohms to see if it correlates to the temperature it's sensing. Also, gas pressures will have a bearing. They need to be checked at min & max and set accordingly. I'd do these before swapping out the plate heat exchanger. The fault needs to be proved before throwing parts at it hoping it will sort it.

We have a Glow worm 100e combo fitted and recently we've noticed that the hot water isn't as hot as it used to be it's especially noticeable when having a shower and if we run a bath you can't run the hot tap full bore or the water is luke warm, after doing abit of research online I think I've narrowed the cause down to the plate to plate heat exchanger but wondered if we have any heating engineers on here who can think of another explanation?

I'm considering maybe replacing the boiler with another combi in the summer can anyone suggest anywhere that supplies Combi's cheap looking at a 30kw ideal or similar thanks

i find the same with mine.

I would get a competent engineer in to go over it and check things like thermistor resistance in Ohms to see if it correlates to the temperature it's sensing. Also, gas pressures will have a bearing. They need to be checked at min & max and set accordingly. I'd do these before swapping out the plate heat exchanger. The fault needs to be proved before throwing parts at it hoping it will sort it.

Most sensible advice posted, if boiler diagnostics could be solved by forum guessing , we'd be out of a job