When to report aggresive dogs

Badgerpig

Weren't ridge backs breed to stop people? Why are they letting thier dogs behave like that anyway I would not tolerate my staffy behaving like that towards people and because of the breed he is he would get put down so what's the difference. Like has been said before if it was a child on thier own or you weren't there what could have happened doesn't bare thinking about just so someone can have a pet. Ridiculous

I know what luckyshot means by no one was bitten & its not the dogs that are to blame but the owners.This was aggressive behavior by two large dogs,that in itself can be very upsetting especially for a young child where a big dog to an adult looks big but to a child it must be like facing a bear. Irrespective of the breed or size,what i find disturbing is the fact they where not content with barking at passers by, but felt the need to clear the fence to confront the passers by.Is this not an infringement of the dangerous dogs act (not taking reasonable control of your dog)or do ridgebacks not come under this title?

Edited by Davyo

Mmmm, not quite - but well done for the input.

The worrying thing here is that the owner seemed freaked, and they hadn't jumped over to have a tummy tickle had they...

Ridgebacks are fairly stubborn in my eyes, high prey drive... if the OP's daughter had of ran, it could have ended in a lot worse than an apology from a embarrassed and in controlling owner.

For a woman to control 2 large dogs on her own with no injuries caused these dogs were not dangerous. Yes they may have looked it and I agree it was probably frightening for a young child but it certainly doesn't warrant the dog to be put down/shot.

It's difficult to come up with a black/white answer when the dogs or the dog owners temperament isn't known. Granted the dog owner should've made sure the dogs couldn't get out. When there's more than one dog they can be a bit more bolshy than they normally would be but barking isn't a reason for destroying a dog.

One of my Westies has a thing about things moving fast like a runner or especially a bike rider. She'll bark like anything but she wouldn't know how to bite anyone.

Granted the dog owner should've made sure the dogs couldn't get out.

That's the key issue. The dogs' and owners' behaviour once they were out thankfully didn't result in anyone being injured or worse but if they couldn't have got out in the first place the situation wouldn't have arisen.

I've had ridgebacks for years. Yes they are territorial and prey driven, but it's up to the owner to train them properly. You couldn't come in my house without an invite, but you could walk past the house all day long and the dog wouldn't even look at you.

Failing that, put up a taller fence.

It's the poor dogs I feel sorry for ax it's ultimately them that end up getting destroyed.Their should be more vigorous vetting on the owners and breeders.I mean there seems to be a fashion for dogs (designer dogs) at the moment.Mate recently paid a lot of money for a ...... wait for it..... Sprocker doodle or Cocker doodle,Mmmm 'a mongrel' "no it's a Spanial and a poodle"he will argue. Yeh that's what I said "it's a heize 57,a mongrel"

Putting that to one side what's with the dressing little dogs in clothes and carting them around in handbags all about or dressing bullmastifs up in what can only be described as 'Horse Brasses

The muppet dog owner next door to me who bought a spaniel that has never left the garden.It barks all day while they are both out at work.Again irresponsible as don't have time to be with the poor dog.I have yet to see it being walked and the poor thing must be knocking on 10yrs old.Then to top it off they have just gone out and bought a CAT that sits in the window all day.

I would of loved a dog when I used to shoot,but at the time I was only part retired so felt it wasn't right.Now that I retire in October I've gone off the idea altogether,can't see me having the stomach to pick up **** in a bag.I mean what do you do when it's like soup?

Rant over,

Don't know about Boerboel's but ridgebacks are very territorial and prey driven, definitely a handful if improperly trained.

I would be pretty worried about one that viewed beyond their fence as 'their territory'.

Boerboels bred specifically to be territorial originally methinks?

It's the poor dogs I feel sorry for ax it's ultimately them that end up getting destroyed.Their should be more vigorous vetting on the owners and breeders.I mean there seems to be a fashion for dogs (designer dogs) at the moment.Mate recently paid a lot of money for a ...... wait for it..... Sprocker doodle or Cocker doodle,Mmmm 'a mongrel' "no it's a Spanial and a poodle"he will argue. Yeh that's what I said "it's a heize 57,a mongrel"

Putting that to one side what's with the dressing little dogs in clothes and carting them around in handbags all about or dressing bullmastifs up in what can only be described as 'Horse Brasses

The muppet dog owner next door to me who bought a spaniel that has never left the garden.It barks all day while they are both out at work.Again irresponsible as don't have time to be with the poor dog.I have yet to see it being walked and the poor thing must be knocking on 10yrs old.Then to top it off they have just gone out and bought a CAT that sits in the window all day.

I would of loved a dog when I used to shoot,but at the time I was only part retired so felt it wasn't right.Now that I retire in October I've gone off the idea altogether,can't see me having the stomach to pick up **** in a bag.I mean what do you do when it's like soup?

Rant over,

When its like soup you sprinkle settng crystals on it. Wait briefly for it to set then pick up.

If the dogs diet is good you don't need them very often.

http://www.contain-er.co.uk/best-selling-solidifi-er-absorbent-granules-solidify-blood-urine-vomit-all-body-fluids-cream-oil-water---10g1l-absorbency-1130-p.asp