Central heating power flush

Albert 888

I seem to be like others, I'm having problems with my heating.

Boiler is a valiant 12 year old. I have 5 rads and it's a bungalow. Rads are warm- hot at the top and warmish-cold at the bottom. I took off the condensate pot as my condensate pipe was constantly dripping,it was full of rust and copper bits and the remains of fibre washers by the look of it,large size egg in size.im going to remove all the rads in one hit and flush the out the best I can with a hose pipe.

My question is how much for a power flush with the acid and a boiler service. Depending on the price I may have a new boiler installed in the loft as the old one is in the way. Or any other advice would be great.

British Gas £600.00 for powerflush and the service is unlikely to be offered on a boiler of your age, but if you get a local gas safe engineer expect to pay £300-£400 for the flush and £60 for the service plus any parts required, i'm unsure why you have fibre washer bits etc in your condense trap as its not connected to the pipework and rads

I have just been quoted £780 for a power flush by BG. Thats for 14 rads.

Apparently you can hire the gearbfrom hss and buy the flushing chemicals and preventative fluds from screwfix etc.

It takes a long time to do though but if you feel confiddnt enough it could save a fortune.

Our boiler is ancient so we'll get it replaced and they flush the system as part of the install anyway.

Edited by Paul1440

If you only have five radiators just replace them and renew the radiator valves. You can flush the pipework out yourself after removing the old rads. When you refill the system put cleanser in and follow the instructions then drain and refill with inhibitor. Should not come to anymore than cost of power flushing which very rarely works that good.

spend the money towards new rads and a boiler service, I had a flush, it was a waste of money, the system can be washed through when changing the rads, power flush is a modernish idea, I saw no noticeable difference.

my new rads are red hot, my boiler was serviced by Worcester on a plan, they took it on with a fault, all the major components in the boiler were renewed, and an external electrical fault located and corrected by an electrician.

New rads stats and valves it is then. Will look at the cleaner-conditioner then add the inhibiter and a service . Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

I changed all my rads myself last year,the only problem I found was the old rads were imperial and

the new ones metric.

I didn't want to move the pipework so I got some telescopic valves (from wickes)these allow you a couple of inches of

movement at either side.

Some years ago my mother had a 'Power 'Flush' of her heating system,

Took hours and the chap went round all the radiators + pipe work with some sort of vibration device fitted in an SDS drill ?

The colour of the water being flushed was in all fairness awful and would run clear, then he'd bang away some more on the rads/pipe work and it would go an awful colour again.

I don't know if the heating worked anymore efficiently for all that, I do remember mum having to have a new circulatory pump just a few months later - coincidence maybe ???