network adaptor ????

69chris

hey guys,

been donated a Dell inspiron lappy to use as a stand in till i sort something else out, but it wont connect to the internet and comes up with...................

'windows did not detect a properly installed network adaptor, if you have a network adaptor, you will need to re-install the driver'

what does that mean ? what is a network adaptor ?? what is a driver ??? why does the world hate me ????

its running windows 7 btw incase that makes any odds

please help the simpleton ......

A network adapter is how a computer connects to a network. It can be wireless (WiFi) or wired (ethernet).

A driver is a bit of software that sits between the physical hardware and your operating system (in this case Windows) that tells your computer how to talk to your network adapter.

What model inspiron do you have and are you trying to connect via a physical wired connection or over wifi?

You can use this guide to find your laptop model http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/SLN298441

EDIT: Sorry didn't see you already said it's running Windows.

Edited by MonkeyKong

cheers for reply mate :good:

on start up it comes up with ...windows 7 ultimate......

i tried an ethernet cable - same message as above, i then bought a plug in 'thingy' which goes into a usb connector, ran the disc as per instructions and still same message

what model ?....its old........inspiron N5030........a sticker on bottom gave the game away !!

its testing me now :lol:

Edited by 69chris

cheers for reply mate :good:

on start up it comes up with ...windows 7 ultimate......

i tried an ethernet cable - same message as above, i then bought a plug in 'thingy' which goes into a usb connector, ran the disc as per instructions and still same message

what model ?....its old........inspiron N5030........a sticker on bottom gave the game away !!

its testing me now :lol:

First and easiest thing to try is to update the drivers to the latest versions. Download and install the ones for 'chipset' and 'network':

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-n5030/drivers

Then reboot. It should automatically hook out the updated driver once it's installed but if not you may need to go into Device Manager and point it to the installed driver.

First and easiest thing to try is to update the drivers to the latest versions. Download and install the ones for 'chipset' and 'network':

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-n5030/drivers

Then reboot. It should automatically hook out the updated driver once it's installed but if not you may need to go into Device Manager and point it to the installed driver.

I'm no Computer genius but if he can't connect it to the Internet isn't he going to have issues downloading the latest drivers onto it 😂

Since he's posting on PW I assume he has access to the internet?

borrowing a mates lappy at home to try to sort this........his has no trouble connecting to b/band box.......typical :lol:

Now you know why it was donated to you. :yes:

indeed...............it may have to go to severnside with me tomorrow for a bit of punishment if it wont play ball :lol:

Have you had a look in device manager? It will give you an idea of what may be fubar.

CLICK on START at the bottom of the screen

then CLICK on CONTROL PANEL

then CLICK on SYSTEM and SECURITY

in this window you will see a tab called SYSTEM and in that group there will be DEVICE MANAGER, click on that and you will see a list of the various devices installed on your laptop. If you look down the list there will be one for network adapters, if you click on it then the group will open and list all network adapters installed. If you see anything in the device manager with an exclamation mark then there is a problem with it, right click on it for some , usually, useless info on what is wrong with it. Has it had a fresh install on it? If the usb ports are working you could try downloading on your mates laptop and transfer across on a usb stick