Storing rimfire ammo

flyeruk

I am about to apply for my FAC. I have two gun cabinets. I was going to store my shotguns in one cabinet and the rifles in the other. Neither of the cabinets have a separate ammo compartment.

My question is,can i store the rimfire ammo in with the shotguns or do i still need to get a separate ammo safe?

Edited by flyeruk

My FEO asked me to get a lockable petty cash tin type of thing and keep it in my cabinet.

A small cheap safe did the job, fills the bottom of my cabinet and the rifles sit on top of it.

this is another case of the feos making it up as they go along again. A. if someone has gotten into your gun cabinet, how safe or how much resistance would that little tin box provide. B. ammo should not be kept in a metal container becase in the event of a fire it becomes a potential bomb. it should be in a wooden box. this is all in the guidlines somewhere. like powder storage.

ammo should be kept in a metal container.

Black powdershould be in a wooden box or plastic container.

Reason being black powder is an explosive if contained.

bullets are not an explosive .they do not prose much risk unless in a breech and a metal box actually offers protection in the event of a fire

this is all in the guidlines look up hse storage of black powder for pdf also some info here

http://www.bristolmuzzleloaders.co.uk/Muzzleloading/blackpowderstore.htm

A bullet is a projectile which will not be in a chamber.the brass may rupture but will not fire outside of the metal box the pressure will release in all directions .

so

store your rimfire rounds in a secure metal box as the British army have done for a 100 years.it's safer that way..secure and safe the box will offer protection in the event of Fire and this is the recommended storage for rounds

Edited by psycho

Section 414 of that info states >>> 414. Metal boxes, including ammunition boxes, are not

suitable and must not be used. This is because, firstly

while metal is fire resistant it also transmits heat very

well and secondly, because the metal container adds

additional containment that significantly increases the

explosive power of the powder.

This is stated in somewhere in the home office guidance. I can't be bothered to go hunting for it. I know that the article is mainly about Powder but I'm this equally applies to metallic ammunition. If ammunition is confined it becomes a bomb. Although the risk of house fires involving ammunition is very limited the potential is still there.

Section 1 ammo should be kept in a metal container or safe. That's why ammo safes are metal.

As far as the guidance for storing S1 ammo goes, it needs to be locked away separately from the S1 guns. Whether that's in a cabinet of it's own or in with your shotguns, makes no difference.