Can't tax my car

Lloyd90

I bought my new car from my brother in law.

He yesterday notified DVLA online that he is no longer the owner, so as of yesterday the tax is gone.

I have gone online to pay my tax but do not have a new logbook in my name yet, I do have the V5C/2 green slip that's for the new keeper to use.

So I put the code in and the DVLA say the code is invalid, and I need to use the code on the new logbook in my name (the one they haven't send me yet and apparently can take 4-6 weeks to come).

Before he changed ownership my brother in law applied for a new log book as he had lost the old one. Although this book is in his name, not mine, so under the impression I can't use that?

At present I have no bloody road tax 😐

I bought my new car from my brother in law.

He yesterday notified DVLA online that he is no longer the owner, so as of yesterday the tax is gone.

I have gone online to pay my tax but do not have a new logbook in my name yet, I do have the V5C/2 green slip that's for the new keeper to use.

So I put the code in and the DVLA say the code is invalid, and I need to use the code on the new logbook in my name (the one they haven't send me yet and apparently can take 4-6 weeks to come).

Before he changed ownership my brother in law applied for a new log book as he had lost the old one. Although this book is in his name, not mine, so under the impression I can't use that?

At present I have no bloody road tax

All you need to do is drive round a posh area, find the same make, model and colour of your car and which has tax and insurance, and then get a fresh set of number plates made up using that registration number.

Job jobbed.

Edited by Mungler

Did he declare the old log book lost and apply for a new one and has then subsequently found the lost one and you have that?

If he did then the one you have is useless and he (you) will need to wait for the new one - You can then transfer the car to you online straight away and then tax it using the green slip reference.

The few log books i have done in the last month have all been on the mat after about 5 days

Edited by ph5172

I went to the post office and filled out a V62 I think.

I had to pay £25 to do this.

The other option was to say I hadn't yet received the new V5 and it said next to it (please wait atleast 4 weeks before filling out this form in this case).

So basically they wanted me to go 4 weeks with no tax?

I don't think they have thought this through.