HOME CCTV

NickB65

Anyone set-up there own CCTV using WI-FI CCTV or similar?

When it comes to networks, computers and stuff I know my stuff but there seems to be a plethora of CCTV cameras and I just wondered if anyone else has been down this road and can advise?

A number of car thefts and strangers wondering around gardens has lead to this little project :-)

We have HIKvision POE setup on our place in France but is of course not wireless, but excellent nevertheless.

Here I have just purchased the Arlo system by net gear- what can I say apart from brilliant and so simple.

The cameras are totally self contained running of batteries which last several months.

If you search back recently on this forum there are some more details about it

I personally would use a HikVision IP POE setup, if you can run cables (hardwired is always the best option) HikVison is used widley though out the security industry and are good quality and reliable, the only down side is the support, what with Hik being in china, but they are relatively user friendly and the mobile app is good, with lots of how to on YouTube.

As for wifi cameras they are out there, but generally in the industy we tend to cable to cameras so I couldn't give my opinions on them, as I have never installed any.

Also don't scrimp on storage, you'll need it for recording the cameras to their full potential. As a general rull of thumb 1TB per camera should give around 30 days but there are CCTV storage calculators on the internet (I think Hik have 1 to download).

IP POE cameras only need 1 cat5e or cat6 cable to each camera and the Hik NVR is plug and play.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Forgot to add about the Arlo

They don't record all the time but are motion triggered- as soon as this happen then a snapshot is taken of anything from 10seconds to two mins.

It's is automatically uploaded to the Arlo server so even if the cameras are stolen the footage is there.

You get 7 days free storage but it's constantly 'rolling' and even if you were away for longer then as in our case- the app lets you know instantly of a 'trigger' and you can view that footage and save it as 'evidence'

Of course there are other 'non free' storage options

Well that all sounds great as I have three HIKVISION cameras from work so I shall try these out. They are POE based so I just need to set-up a POE router and run some cables to the front and side of the house :-)

Thanks for all the replies

Well that all sounds great as I have three HIKVISION cameras from work so I shall try these out. They are POE based so I just need to set-up a POE router and run some cables to the front and side of the house :-)

Thanks for all the replies

If you're using a new HikVision NVR (network video recorder) the POE switch is built in.