Lawn

Ade1971

Hi all, ok Wilko weed and feed/moss killer is down. I bought a spreader to be sure it was evenly laid, wasn't sure what number to put the spreader on so went for number 4 (half way). My front lawn is around 35m2 and have used around just under a 3rd of the box (100m2 per box) so may have to use number 5 or 6 in future....let's see what happens first .

I will water it tomorrow evening if we have no rain.

It is called 'lawn sand' which is a misnomer. It is ferrous sulphate.

What does it do? I'm plagued with clover this year, and old grass that is left from not being able to cut it over the winter.

What does it do? I'm plagued with clover this year, and old grass that is left from not being able to cut it over the winter.

It kills moss but not broadleaved weeds nor grass obviously.

If anyone should use it they should remember not to rake out the dead moss but to leave it in situ. By raking it live spores could be transferred to areas of lawn not affected by moss.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilko Weed and Feed, 10.5 Kg bag about £15:00 that will sort it out!

don't buy the bag, a box 3.5 kilo is only £4.00. 3 boxes = £12, bag, £15.00 for same amount.

Hi all, ok Wilko weed and feed/moss killer is down. I bought a spreader to be sure it was evenly laid, wasn't sure what number to put the spreader on so went for number 4 (half way). My front lawn is around 35m2 and have used around just under a 3rd of the box (100m2 per box) so may have to use number 5 or 6 in future....let's see what happens first .

I will water it tomorrow evening if we have no rain.

what spreader did you buy? im looking for one as well.

I bought the Evergreen Easy Spreader - £18 inc. del on the Bay, cheap and cheerful but seems to work OK.

That's the one I got, I was really careful and followed the instructions, but now I've got yellow stripes in the lawn. It seems I forgot to take into account that it doesn't spread its full width, so running the wheels in their own tracks leaves a 2 inch strip not covered!

Advice I've had since Is to do the lawn at half rate but go over it twice. So first spread across the lawn, and second up and down. That should prevent stripes occurring

Raising the ph will help stop moss which is pretty much what the lawn sand helps with, sea sand or lime will do the same thing, watched gardeners world in the autumn and the guy spread a fair bit over the grass and gave it a good raking in, looked cut up and a right mess but it came back looking amazing in the spring

It kills moss but not broadleaved weeds nor grass obviously.

If anyone should use it they should remember not to rake out the dead moss but to leave it in situ. By raking it live spores could be transferred to areas of lawn not affected by moss.

How interesting. I did an Evergreen application a fortnight ago, and I'll be interested to see what the results are when I'm there at the weekend.

LS