Home network advice

spready

Ive run a 100m network cable down my garden in trunking to a Cat5 face plate to our summer house and plan to put wifi down there. I'm after some advice whats best device to use to add wifi down there? would it be a wifi access point or a wifi extender?? can't seem to find anything that allows me to plug an Ethernet cable into it and output as a wifi?

Get a decent wireless router. It will take (as an input) the line you've just laid down and will also give you normally 4 ports that you can plug other devices into as well as the wireless network.

Something like this should sort you out https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DIR-615-Wireless-300Mbps-wireless/dp/B000Y9PAXY/ref=sr_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1494223972&sr=1-14&keywords=d-link+wireless+router

Edited by iano

Any wifi access point should work - you don't need another router though most routers can be down rated to function as an AP.

Make sure it has an rj45 port to take your CAT5 cable but prices start from £20.

Try and get one the same brand as your main router if possible as makes for easier setup.

See amazon

NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS 300 Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Wi-Fi Booster) with Smart LED Indicators for High Wi-Fi Coverage

Coredy N300 Mini WiFi Range Extender/ Access Point / Router with External Antennas (Coredy E300) Edited by Stonepark

easiest way router in house cable to shed plug cable into a network switch (not another router) then plug extender also into switch if wireless wanted most extenders have a single rj45 port some have more than 1 depends what you get if its got more than 1 rj45 you wont need a switch as long as its got enough ports. I have never got any real sense out of those extenders over the mains and when i go to peoples houses that are having problems i just recommend a wireless solution set it up and never hear from them again about it not working

As people have said, you either need a wireless access point or a second wireless router... BUT if you choose the router option, you'll need to remember to turn off its "DHCP server" capabilities in the settings of the new router, and tell it to "obtain IP address" otherwise devices on your network could get confused (you only want one device to be trying to provide IP addresses to your network and, unless you have more advanced network set up, your current router will be doing this straight out of the box).

You can get "power over ethernet" access points which, if your current router has PoE output ports (often shown in yellow), would mean that the new AP wouldn't need it's own power supply in the summer house (it would take it from the Cat5).

As people have said, you either need a wireless access point or a second wireless router... BUT if you choose the router option, you'll need to remember to turn off its "DHCP server" capabilities in the settings of the new router, and tell it to "obtain IP address" otherwise devices on your network could get confused (you only want one device to be trying to provide IP addresses to your network and, unless you have more advanced network set up, your current router will be doing this straight out of the box).

You can get "power over ethernet" access points which, if your current router has PoE output ports (often shown in yellow), would mean that the new AP wouldn't need it's own power supply in the summer house (it would take it from the Cat5).

a yellow port does not mean POE

Save your time.and money and get a devolo set up, I have two ethernet ports and also WiFi all sent through my mains wirin

Have similar (TP-Link) plug them in press the 'pair buttons and Bobs yer wotsit. Must go direct to a mains socket and not an extension cable. cost about £12 from PC World around 10 months ago and works a treat.

(I have no commercial connection with PC World (or any other connection) and am a little embarrassed I bought something from there).