Off to Crete

JohnGalway

Really nice place. Interesting too if your interested in ww11 as the germans launched a massive airborne assault in 1941 to take the island. if you look around there are plenty of signs of the german occupation with old bunkers scattered around.

Some of the old antique shops have some interesting military memorabilia. :lol:

The Raki is lethal too tastes like warmed up jet fuel!!

I went there some years ago, infact we got engaged there.

It is a great island and lots to see, WWII stuff is worth a look, the Cretans hate the Germans because of the atrocities they committed.

The North and South of the island are very different, the south has great small beaches but they can be stony, the south has larger bays and sandy beaches on the whole.

Hania is one of the main towns and has a fantastic market, I believe it is every day of the week except Sunday.

If you have time and like a walk book a cab to take you up to the top of the Samaria gorge. Arrange for the cab to pick you up at Hora Sfakion later. Take a day sack with a picnic and then walk down the gorge to the coast, takes about 4 hours. At the bottom it is a short walk to Agia Roumeli where you can have a swim to cool off before catching the ferry to Hora Sfakion where your cab will be waiting for you.

Fantastic scenery and view:

vallee-vallon-montagne-crete-gorges-11725.jpg

gorge%20samaria01.jpg

White%20Mountains1.jpg

Food is great out there as well, must go back one day!

Jerry

I visited Crete last August with my fiance on a last minute booking, ended up in Horsonnisos in a hotel FULL to the brim of Irish lads and lasses; it's apparently an Irish home from home so you should be alright pal. We had a fantastic craic, especially when drinking the illegally exported Irish purchine (sp) :lol:

We got chatty with a local living next door to our hotel who arranged for us to go for a day up in the mountain villages, absolutely stunning.

Avoid Malia though, it's full of beered up English idiots :lol: And the bar & club touts there do not take no for an answer.

All in all, beautiful place that I will most definitely return to.

Marc

i think you have to put your toilet paper in a bin in the bathroom rather than flushing. Dirty devils.

Jim

Very true , but dont let that put you off. I stayed in a resort called Stalis , alot of Germans , which the locals hate. Its one of the few places you can go were the locals genuinely like us brits.

i think you have to put your toilet paper in a bin in the bathroom rather than flushing. Dirty devils.

Jim

Same in Faliraki the sewer pipes can't cope with toliet roll so you have to put it in the bin. One of my bad boys blocked the toliet for two days, the apartment manager wasn't to happy, he was there for an hour with a stick trying to unblock it :good:

Went to Stalis 2 years ago was great resort , not very big , loads of bars and restaurants. Dont hire a quad as they are all 50cc rev and go rubbish and you will have to try and race the 12 year olds who are allowed to ride them. Car hire is cheap and driving over there is fine . On main roads if there is a sign saying radar speed detectors then you can guarentee they are there, as i found out to my peril .But best of all you dont get points for speeding only a 17 euros fine. So i nailed it the rest of the way back too. As said before stay out of Malia full of drunken kids. Its fine in the day but not after dark.