VERY novice recipes wanted

Old farrier

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are both very greasy cuts Nigel, but very tasty if cooked well done! I haven't cooked either for years, but they are best (Especially lamb breast) cooked until the fat is crispy, serve simply with mashed potatoes, veg and gravy!

I was only being "tongue in cheek" contrary to amateur........we were both guessing!........he's right though, it's difficult to tell when the meat is still frozen and bagged up........so if it ain't either, we'll be in trouble Lol!

Pretty much - both need slow roasting. You can tell which is which when fully defrosted because the lamb will be a redder meat

So here's my recipe for belly pork/breast of lamb with onion and mushroom gravy.

Ingredients:

Piece of belly pork or breast of lamb. (if it is already sliced, no probs)

​1 onion

​1 stick of celery

​Alcohol - some cider if pork, red wine if lamb. - if you have neither, a little water

​Six or so mushrooms

​Salt and black pepper.

​A little olive oil

​Sage (for pork) Rosemary (for lamb)

​A tablespoon of gravy powder

​Potatoes, carrots, beans (whatever veg you fancy)

Method:

​Peel and finely slice the onion. Wash and finely chop the celery stalk, greenery and all

​Take a large roasting tin (If your wife was anything like mine, that will be lurking in the bottom of the oven). Anyway, a large metal tin about 3" deep.

​Switch the oven on to its highest setting and let it reach that temperature

​With a very sharp knife, score the skin and fat down to the meat, so that you have 1/2" stripes on the skin and fat, but not so deep as to penetrate the meat. Rub the skin with a little oil and salt and pepper

​Put the meat in the oven, skin-side up for 15 minutes. After that time the skin should have crisped up - if not, leave it in a little longer.

​Take the pan out and turn the oven down to 150 degrees

​Lift the meat out of the pan on to a plate. If the meat is lamb, pour off any fat, if pork, don't bother

​Put the onions, herbs and celery in the pan and place the meat on top of the vegetable base, again, skin-side up

​Add a cup-full of cider/wine/water.

​Return the pan to the oven and let it all cook for about 2 hours.

​At about 1.1/2 hours put a pan of water on the hob and boil your spuds. In a separate pan boil your carrots and other veg at about 1.3/4 hours

​After 2 hours the meat should be very soft and the skin still crispy.

​Take the meat out of the pan and put it on a plate, covered with a tea-towel to rest (this allows the juices to permeate the meat and improves the flavour)

Put the pan on the hob on a medium heat, and holding it with an oven glove or tea-towel heat it up, whilst scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. There should be enough fat in the pan for you to fry the mushrooms - if too much fat, pour it off before you put the mushrooms in. Add a teaspoon of gravy powder and another cup of the appropriate alcohol. Keep stirring, the gravy should thicken up nicely.

​Serve with the boiled spuds, veg and alcohol

Edited by amateur

Pretty much - both need slow roasting. You can tell which is which when fully defrosted because the lamb will be a redder meat

So here's my recipe for belly pork/breast of lamb with onion and mushroom gravy.

Ingredients:

Piece of belly pork or breast of lamb. (if it is already sliced, no probs)

​1 onion

​1 stick of celery

​Alcohol - some cider if pork, red wine if lamb. - if you have neither, a little water

​Six or so mushrooms

​Salt and black pepper.

​A little olive oil

​Sage (for pork) Rosemary (for lamb)

​A tablespoon of gravy powder

​Potatoes, carrots, beans (whatever veg you fancy)

Method:

​Peel and finely slice the onion. Wash and finely chop the celery stalk, greenery and all

​Take a large roasting tin (If your wife was anything like mine, that will be lurking in the bottom of the oven). Anyway, a large metal tin about 3" deep.

​Switch the oven on to its highest setting and let it reach that temperature

​With a very sharp knife, score the skin and fat down to the meat, so that you have 1/2" stripes on the skin and fat, but not so deep as to penetrate the meat. Rub the skin with a little oil and salt and pepper

​Put the meat in the oven, skin-side up for 15 minutes. After that time the skin should have crisped up - if not, leave it in a little longer.

​Take the pan out and turn the oven down to 150 degrees

​Lift the meat out of the pan on to a plate. If the meat is lamb, pour off any fat, if pork, don't bother

​Put the onions, herbs and celery in the pan and place the meat on top of the vegetable base, again, skin-side up

​Add a cup-full of cider/wine/water.

​Return the pan to the oven and let it all cook for about 2 hours.

​At about 1.1/2 hours put a pan of water on the hob and boil your spuds. In a separate pan boil your carrots and other veg at about 1.3/4 hours

​After 2 hours the meat should be very soft and the skin still crispy.

​Take the meat out of the pan and put it on a plate, covered with a tea-towel to rest (this allows the juices to permeate the meat and improves the flavour)

Put the pan on the hob on a medium heat, and holding it with an oven glove or tea-towel heat it up, whilst scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. There should be enough fat in the pan for you to fry the mushrooms - if too much fat, pour it off before you put the mushrooms in. Add a teaspoon of gravy powder and another cup of the appropriate alcohol. Keep stirring, the gravy should thicken up nicely.

​Serve with the boiled spuds, veg and alcohol

Thanks for your reply and I will give it a try when I've got a couple of hours to cook it

I've put it on one side thanks :-)👍

My guess for the plastic tub would be a rump steak if it's about 3/4 inch thick.

If it is, put your newly forged pan on the hob (top of the dalek), add a little butter, let it get very hot, place the steak in the pan for 30 seconds each side and eat it blue. For rare 60-90 seconds each side. Medium 90-120. Well done, don't bother it will be tough as old boots.

Just my thoughts and I may be totally wrong with the contents of the tub :lol:

All the best mate

Well

What to say 😊

No point in asking for advice if you don't take it

So

Tonight was the night

Took Sabs advice went to the local whitches coven (wi) and asked for a lesson or two

In my kitchen so I familiarise myself with the stuff that I've got 👍

Got my ingredients ready and they arrived 🙄

Chicken pie well more a casserole with a lid on

Bit of guidance and instructions and I'm away 😊

Well apparently I'm a walking environmental health hazard and you definitely DONT wipe your knife on your jeans

Every day is a learning day

So I fried my chicken and unyins and mushrooms a bit well quiet a bit in oil and put it in my pie dish with a tin of soup stirring it a bit so far so good

You're not supposed too put your hot frying pan into water 😮

Then pastry from the freezer 👍

Thawed out rolled out and over the pie brush with egg and into the oven

And about 1/2 hour it's done

This gives time to do you veg and washing up

Did I mention the 3 bottles of wine 😙 Apparently they have to drink when they teach 😂

Anyway Sabs thanks for the advice 👍

All the best

Of

IMG_1579.jpg

host gifs

Edited by Old farrier

My guess for the plastic tub would be a rump steak if it's about 3/4 inch thick.

If it is, put your newly forged pan on the hob (top of the dalek), add a little butter, let it get very hot, place the steak in the pan for 30 seconds each side and eat it blue. For rare 60-90 seconds each side. Medium 90-120. Well done, don't bother it will be tough as old boots.

Just my thoughts and I may be totally wrong with the contents of the tub :lol:

All the best mate

Or goose breasts

I'll let you know when I thawed it out

😂😊

All the best

Of

Clearly, lessons from the ladies of the WI is the way to go.

Nothing like a helpless man to bring out the nurturing instinct from ladies of a certain age :).

Get them to id your freezer contents with appropriate recipes and you are there.

You may need a larger wine cellar though

Nothing like a helpless man to bring out the nurturing instinct from ladies of a certain age :).

Get them to id your freezer contents with appropriate recipes and you are there.

Only PW could advise on where to get free cooking lessons, in your home, with the possability of a "happy ending"!! :yes:

And if you think PW members argue about everything

Try

Half a dozen wi ladies and a recipe for chicken pie

And that's when they were sober

six mature ladies , arguing over your generous portion , just has to be a good thing , ooohhh yes.

Sitting there licking his/her genitals afterwards, sort of puts you off......and as for letting the dog do it!........Well!.......Lol!

:lol:

Cheers for that mate 👍 IOU 1

What a nightmare arguing over what it is and what to turn it into

Only room for three heads in the freezer at once that caused another strong debate was it age experience or size that dictates who's first in

anyway they identified some stuff so good news is

Sorted a bit of beef Sunday dinner

Coupled with

recipes from the war and a copy of Latisha cropleys cook book

Game on

Many thanks

Of

Oh and none of them have a sporting estate or trout river