Roman coin

winnie&bezza

The Romans used to toss small denomination coins away 'for good luck' . Much like the Northern Europeans would drop money down a well. It was a gift, an offering to appease the spirits. It was a common thing.

Metal detectorists used to target the fields along side old Roman roads or ancient tracks because it was often done at the start of a journey like a form of travel insurance for safe passage.

I used to work with a serious metal detector hobbyist who had bags full of them, He said they were worth peanuts so what he used to do was clean them up, put them in a plastic case and sell them to the gift shop at the Roman museum at St Albans who sold them to the public at about 1000% mark up .

The Romans used to toss small denomination coins away 'for good luck' . Much like the Northern Europeans would drop money down a well. It was a gift, an offering to appease the spirits. It was a common thing.

Metal detectorists used to target the fields along side old Roman roads or ancient tracks because it was often done at the start of a journey like a form of travel insurance for safe passage.

I used to work with a serious metal detector hobbyist who had bags full of them, He said they were worth peanuts so what he used to do was clean them up, put them in a plastic case and sell them to the gift shop at the Roman museum at St Albans who sold them to the public at about 1000% mark up .

Back in the draw it goes then haha. Interesting info. Cheers

hello, if you can magnify the picture both sides i can let you know on your coin, i have a roman coin book, to give you an idea i have the same type by the roman NERO 27 BC to 69 AD i found this by the old roman road that follows part of the M4 then up to gloucester

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello vince, they are called grotts

hello, if you can magnify the picture both sides i can let you know on your coin, i have a roman coin book, to give you an idea i have the same type by the roman NERO 27 BC to 69 AD i found this by the old roman road that follows part of the M4 then up to gloucester

hello, it has a distinct likeness of my coin NERO

Morning mate, are the pics in the links I posted not magnified enough?

It looks like it's a Maximinus II, Bronze follis, (it may be silver washed), mint Antioch. AD 309. Obv; GAL VAL MAXIMINVS *** CAES, laureate head right. Obv; GENIO CA-ESARIS star, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera from which liquid flows, and cornucopiae. Mintmark dot ANT.

http://rogers-relics-uk.com/index.php?topic=36044.0