Vodafone Sure Signal

steve_b_wales

After having problems with signal strength, we were sent, free of charge, a Sure Signal 'plug'. At the moment, we have a NETGEAR plug connected to a mains socket in our living room, with an Ethernet cable going into the computer. Another NETGEAR plug is connected to a mains socket in our hallway, with another lead connected to our router.

We registered the Sure Signal plug online first, as per the instructions.

Instructions for the Sure Signal state to plug supplied ethernet cable into the broadband router, and the other end into the Sure Signal plug, then connect it to a mains socket.

The NETGEAR plug can be connected to the Sure Signal plug,but then we have no internet access. I've tried different ways of connecting the leads but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Steve don't want to alarm you but check on VF forum regarding these sure plugs overheating and catching fire

My old company had one sent to me a couple of years back as Vodafone signal is naff by us and I stopped using due to it getting very hot. Never Googled it but I've never had any plug top get as hot as it - plus it was so temperamental working it was ridiculous.

Is it another con

The Vodafone signal here was good but now is rubbish .

Perhaps I need the latest/newest thingamebob plugged in .

Vodafone was the best of the bunch for signal quality, especially as we live in a valley. But 6 months ago there was a problem with one of their masts, and, despite them saying it's been repaired, we have problems with the signal while inside our house. Outside is okay. We have complained to them time and time again, and they apologise. The only good thing about all this is that both my wife and my accounts with them have been credited to the tune of £160 so far, so we haven't paid anything for the past 5 months,(we only pay £19:00 per month) as this is taken out of our credit.

The old sure signal were great, not used the new type

The sure signal is phemtocel and sends voice traffic over your network plug sure signal direct into the router and leave the power line units switched off to try it direct to router in hall router should have 4 Ethernet ports on it

Edited by HDAV

Our older sure signal has worked for years stuck away in the loft.

Leave your Netgear plugs alone, they are moving data from the router in the hall to your computer.

Plug the sure signal into a normal plug socket or even extension lead near to your router in the hall.

Plug a new Ethernet cable (there should be one in the box the sure signal came in) into your sure signal and the other end into router in the hall in one of the sockets next to the one that goes to your Netgear Ethernet plug.

that should be it.

Edited by Simonc_here

Leave your Netgear plugs alone, they are moving data from the router in the hall to your computer.

Plug the sure signal into a normal plug socket or even extension lead near to your router in the hall.

Plug a new Ethernet cable (there should be one in the box the sure signal came in) into your sure signal and the other end into router in the hall in one of the sockets next to the one that goes to your Netgear Ethernet plug.

that should be it.

I'll give it a go. The only reason we had Netgear plugs fitted was because we had very poor wifi signal in the house. The Sure Signal plug has the facility to plug something into the back of it, so could I plug the Netgear plug into that?

Steve,

I live in a brand new house and can't get any mobile signal in the down stairs area due the cavity wall insulation. Upstairs it is 'iffey' at best.

Got a Sure Signal back in February. After much problem sorting it is now working superbly well and I get a signal all over the inside of the house.

First I couldn't register it myself due the website playing up. Then when they registered it for me they entered the wrong postcode and screwed that up.

Then they said my computer speed was carp so I upgraded that. Then, when it still wouldn't work, they said send it back. I did and they replaced it.

I couldn't register it again as their website still was not working correctly. They did it and this time got it right.

Now - three months later - it is working OK.

You should only need the Sure Signal device itself. Signal comes via your computer router by ethernet cable to the Sure Signal and is then sent by 3G signal to your phone.

Don't have any other thing working, or trying to work, as well.

Perseverance paid off in my case.

I'll give it a go. The only reason we had Netgear plugs fitted was because we had very poor wifi signal in the house. The Sure Signal plug has the facility to plug something into the back of it, so could I plug the Netgear plug into that?

No

Netgear direct to mains in wall

The netgear plug should be direct into a wall socket as it uses your house wiring to pass the internet signals to the other netgear plug.

If it fits, there would be no problem in plugging the router's plug into the sure signal plug and then the whole lot into the wall socket.

What's that then? Please.

Some newer phones and some providers allow you to use your wifi connection from your phone to make and receive normal phone calls.

Some providers you have to use an app on your phone like O2's TuGo app.

Basically if you don't have a phone signal, but you do have wifi, your phone calls are sent over wifi instead. It's not the same as the suresignal box.

I got out of Vfone after a long battle with this sure signal con.Always has a strong signal,then all of a sudden when Vfone brought out this sure signal plug everyone started to get a weak signal.Vfone then conned you into buying the plug (£76) to resolve the issue.

Look on the Vfone forum loads of complaints re their service.For me it was a simple case of presenting a complaint where they never met the obligation set out within their contract.So although I kept to my part (paying ontime) they never met theirs and that was to provide an acceptable level of service.

Edited by Davyo

No

Netgear direct to mains in wall

:good:

I'll give it a go tomorrow. We didn't pay for the Sure Signal box, as we complained to Vodafone so many times about the poor signal. My wife is with Vodafone too, so is having the same problems. She has escalated her complaint to the Ombudsman, who are now investigating it.

Black ash mortar? My living room is like a faraday cage, fortunately Vodafone can propogate through the house, EE couldn't so after being an orange customer since 2000 I moved to vodaphone, then got a works EE phone and they wonder why hey can't get hold of me lol......

Edited by HDAV

:good:

I'll give it a go tomorrow. We didn't pay for the Sure Signal box, as we complained to Vodafone so many times about the poor signal. My wife is with Vodafone too, so is having the same problems. She has escalated her complaint to the Ombudsman, who are now investigating it.

Tape all your calls to them (advise them) and copy any manuscripts from web chat as they have habit of making you constantly repeat yourself and deniying you called.They have no idea each each other are,its quite comical at times.Had one young chap refuring to me as 'son' and another calling me 'mate' they are an absolute disgrace of a service with customer care to match.I had to pay for my sure signal but was reimbursed by a credit to my account,but only after I kicked off.Eventually after I had conclusive evidence of being fobbed off (tapes call and web chat manuscripts) they settled with settling my 3 accounts plus compensation. Edited by Davyo

that should be it.

Update:

I did as above, and all is now working. I have full signal, as does my wife. The only issue now is that I can't manage Sure Signal online, despite being told by two 'team member's (online chat) that I can. There's a drop down menu under 'My Vodafone' that gives an option to buy or manage Sure Signal. When I click on this, I only have an option to buy. According to the 'team member's' I can do this by clicking on Sure Signal on the left hand side of the page (which is not there!) After online chatting for an hour to 2 different 'team members' and them refreshing my account, I've given up. I only want to register a few more numbers.