Oops! project in the garage

foxbasher

So I have a bit of a weakness when it comes to buying "projects" that I tinker with for a bit, restore a little, throw a bit of paint at and then sell on (most of the time making a little profit) I bought a new one home today and the look on my good wife's face was priceless and my 8 year old motor mad sons reaction was even better.

I rolled up on the drive in the van and got "the look" from the good lady when I unloaded a 1989 Suzuki gsx600f that's been rescued from a shed after sleeping for 5 years.

........what have I done!!!!!! Advice please

Probably an impulse or miss guided buy being that I don't even have a motorbike licence. Haha

Edited by foxbasher

Checked fuel yesterday when I got it home and it smells like the wine that my grandad used to keep in demijohns in the loft. Tank is rust free and I don't mind rebuilding the carbs. The whole bike only cost me the same as what a set of carbs are going for on evilbay.

Have a look at carb refurb kits there are people that do them as a set, like http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/

Having been down a similar road with a 70's bike just recently I would recommend some carb cleaner and getting all that goo out of them.

You may well find after that things start to look a lot rosier

Keep us posted on your progress

Only got a car battery to hand and didn't want to fry anything, I know it's still only 12v but what about the ah

Dont worry there is no risk of frying anything, AH is storage capacity. You can have as big a battery as you want the starter motor/bike circuits will only pull as much power as they need and rated to.

So curiosity got the better of me, turns out my deben lamp uses a 12v 3.3ah battery. It needs to be charged after last week's outing but I rigged it to the bike anyway. Turned the key and.........

Oil light came on with neutral gear light. Head light and tail lights work and indicators work on the front. I gave the starter a quick dab and it kicked over once but the battery didn't have enough juice to do any more than that.

Roll on carb stripdown and fuel flush 🙆

I don't know about" throwing a bit of paint at it."

I think you'll have carbs off it first along with changing the inlet rubbers, jets, diaphragms etc etc.

It will keep you occupied through the winter and next years as well !!!

Got to agree there. Some 10 years back i bought a 1980 Honda CG 125 for £30. It had been stood for 10 years under a tarp in a work colleague's s back garden. The idea was to just get it running fine, so i could ride it to work, 5 miles from home. (We only had 1 car at the time), so my main mode of transport was a 2 year old Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja. And obviously, i couldn't possibly ride it if it was raining!.... Anyhow, a new head gasket, along with the items mentioned above, and cleaning the carb out 4 times and she run sweet as a nut! Even had a rear top box for pizza's! Sold it a few years later for £300 or £400, i forget....

Women just don't understand the love most blokes have for mechanical items and tinkering!

Fair play to you i say! :good:

I was having a chat to our mechanic at work today and told him about "the project" at the end of it he sent me on my way with two cans of carb cleaner, a set of jet prickers and a small bunch of mini bottle brush things. Only instructions was "start with the carbs boy and don't drop any small bits on the floor" lol game on when I get five minutes 🏍😱

I've started using Imgur for photos. They even have the option to change sizes, I find huge thumbnail works best.

Good luck with the bike, a mate of mine restores vintage English and Jap bikes, I think he has about 36 in various states of repair.

Here are a few before and after pics:

QgMLaZol.jpg

ddCt4vCl.jpg

qpb5mw8l.jpg