Oops! project in the garage

foxbasher

I've started using Imgur for photos. They even have the option to change sizes, I find huge thumbnail works best.

Good luck with the bike, a mate of mine restores vintage English and Jap bikes, I think he has about 36 in various states of repair.

Here are a few before and after pics:

QgMLaZol.jpg

ddCt4vCl.jpg

qpb5mw8l.jpg

Lovely restoration job. I take it from the last picture he's not married.

Hi All

I use the following on my computer to reduce the file size of the photos http://www.imageoptimizer.net , and to use it as follows

Select optimize another photo

Browse you computer to locate original

select Small file size and siz 400x300

Optimize

the download back to computer

This works for me and I email the photos from my phone to myself to get them on laptop

post-60674-0-32204400-1502983002_thumb.jpgpost-60674-0-58489800-1502983002_thumb.jpg

This is my project found in a barn, been standing since 1999. It is a Honda CB350sg and now just needs hydraulic brake sorting and some side panels reparing.

Rebuilt Starter, carbs, brakes ect and quite pleased with the results

• 3 weeks later...

post-19613-0-76114200-1504729339_thumb.jpgit must be the season, I've just picked up an old vf1000 from a gent in the village, he sat it outside his house with a sale board, thought i'd missed out but he just got tired of wheeling it out everyday, yours looks a lot cleaner than mine foxbasher, have you thought about an ultrasonic cleaner? don't know if they make them large enough for a bank of carbs but might be worth a look.

Paddy

That's fantastic and I'm very jealous.

Reason being, in 1987/88 just before I obtained my motorcycle licence and was into photography/home developing.

We were at Snetterton and I happened to take a picture of an identical VF and printed it as a 10x6 if I recall.

Always lusted after that bike with the picture on my bedroom wall for several years

Enjoy it and if you wish for help restoring im game

Paddy

That's fantastic and I'm very jealous.

Reason being, in 1987/88 just before I obtained my motorcycle licence and was into photography/home developing.

We were at Snetterton and I happened to take a picture of an identical VF and printed it as a 10x6 if I recall.

Always lusted after that bike with the picture on my bedroom wall for several years

Enjoy it and if you wish for help restoring im game

Thanks Jay, these old Hondas seem to gravitate towards me, that's the second v4 honda in the shed now, I might start a collection, always fancied the nr750 but I don't think the bank balance will ever stretch to that, I've got a few bits left to do but it's mostly paint and prep, I managed to get the stickers off eventually and i'm just waiting for good weather and a break in work to coincide. it's going hrc red white and blue when I get round to it, and not so many stickers this time :lol:

not bad for 700 notes though is it, still got some mot left too.

so far it's had tyres, fork seals, new thermal fan switch, (that was a real ahole to find) thermostat, oil and coolant flush, looking for needle roller bearing and spacer for clutch/layshaft, until then it'll just have to rumble a bit, new seat, new screen, I've got my eye on some stubby yoshimuras instead of the original cans, at a glance they look ok, but the hard to reach places are rusting with a few pin ***** holes that are currently plugged with Q bond, I don't know how long they'll last but as long as it gets through an mot I don't care much.

Edited by Paddy Galore!

I had a VF500 f11

Hankered after one as a customer had one and I thought in Rothmans colours that it was the dogs.....

Day after my test I purchased a A reg job, motad nets or something were the OE look exhaust or something like that ( well it was 1988).

Went everywhere on it but was always having problems with fuel evaporation/starvation with it being a sod to start when hot.

Eventually booked it into CJ Ball where they found a typical of the era valve problem.

Replaced them myself and then it just sat in the coal shed until 1990 when I brought the first ZZR600 that Tinklers had in- now that was good and wouldn't mind one again for some nostalgia.

Had Kwaks ever since ( ok, that's a little lie as I had two variants of VFR400's and a CBR400 too)

Enjoy it when it's done- personally I prefer the wine red of the original

I've started using Imgur for photos. They even have the option to change sizes, I find huge thumbnail works best.

Good luck with the bike, a mate of mine restores vintage English and Jap bikes, I think he has about 36 in various states of repair.

Here are a few before and after pics:

QgMLaZol.jpg

ddCt4vCl.jpg

qpb5mw8l.jpg

That is a lovely little bike you have made a smashing job of doing it up why is it that whenever someone puts a post up like this it ends up in a willy waggling contest look at my bike it so much bigger than yours.

Hi All

I use the following on my computer to reduce the file size of the photos http://www.imageoptimizer.net , and to use it as follows

Select optimize another photo

Browse you computer to locate original

select Small file size and siz 400x300

Optimize

the download back to computer

This works for me and I email the photos from my phone to myself to get them on laptop

Optimized-P1010001.JPG Optimized-P1010002.JPG

This is my project found in a barn, been standing since 1999. It is a Honda CB350sg and now just needs hydraulic brake sorting and some side panels reparing.

Rebuilt Starter, carbs, brakes ect and quite pleased with the results

I once bought a cb350sg project! Engine mounting bolts were seized, the rear drum was oval, and the swing arm was rotted through. I sent the frame away to be shot blasted and powder coated in metallic purple, the panels were painted in Porsche yellow and the engine rebuilt. I never did get around to the rebuild. ☹️

Wow

What were you on, and what happened to it

I just wanted to street fighter it as it had good potential with the style. I involved in a pretty bad bike accident, and basically made a promise to my son I would never get on another. So sold the bike I was riding, AND the project. I loved old bikes. Had an RD50, TS50, FS1E, superdream, CB350SG, GSX600R, GPZ400R, GPZ600R, C90, AP50, Aprillia RS50, CB500, sure there will be one or two I forgot :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

That is a lovely little bike you have made a smashing job of doing it up why is it that whenever someone puts a post up like this it ends up in a willy waggling contest look at my bike it so much bigger than yours.

been awhile since I visited this thread, no one is waving their cock about, so why all the pee and whinge? some of us just like old bikes fella, and have a genuine interest in how others are getting along.

Apologies for the lacking input over the last week or so but it's been manic here trying to get the last of my building work done so that the mrs can get her business up and running. Just a downstairs cloakroom to do now. Passed the bike in the garage the other morning and couldn't resist. I had already drained the carbs and tank so I put about a litre of fuel in it and slapped the battery on.

ITS ALIVE!!! it started and ran well on tickover with full choke without a problem. As soon as you try and back the choke off or give it some throttle it dies but will restart strait away. I'm guessing the carbs are propper crappy and it's only running on a bit of fuel through the idle jets. I'm gonna have to get this cloakroom crapper finished so that I don't get moaned at for hiding in the garage working on it.

Edited by foxbasher

nice one, it'll get there in the end, I've always tried not to set any targets as I end up rushing and something goes wrong, which sets the project back even further, all the body work on mine is in primer, and will probably remain so until the good weather and some spare time coincide again, using water based top coat this time so it'll take some time to dry, the bodywork on yours seems pretty tidy, are you keeping it the same?

I must be blessed with an understanding missus, she's quite happy to see me out there pulling stuff about instead of doing all the oddjobs that are mounting up. I have a feeling though that it's all going on a mental list in her mind, ready and waiting for the right moment :lol:

just a word of advice if you need it, the last time I had a bike that behaved like yours it had air leaking in through the manifolds and a split diaphragm, just something to look out for...

Apologies for the lacking input over the last week or so but it's been manic here trying to get the last of my building work done so that the mrs can get her business up and running. Just a downstairs cloakroom to do now. Passed the bike in the garage the other morning and couldn't resist. I had already drained the carbs and tank so I put about a litre of fuel in it and slapped the battery on.

ITS ALIVE!!! it started and ran well on tickover with full choke without a problem. As soon as you try and back the choke off or give it some throttle it dies but will restart strait away. I'm guessing the carbs are propper crappy and it's only running on a bit of fuel through the idle jets. I'm gonna have to get this cloakroom crapper finished so that I don't get moaned at for hiding in the garage working on it.

Yeah it sounds like your idle jet may be a bit choked up! I used to use a bristle from a wire brush to clear mine out! If it's real bad though, they are normally cheap enough to replace!