Ruger 10/22 defo gonna have one

Slipster

I have just collected my ticket from Lincoln Police after having another .22 rf added and i am looking at the Ruger. Just wondered what thoughts any owners had on these and what mods you would recomend bearing in mind im going for a 14" barrel cos my Landy seems to be getting smaller (or is it me getting fatter :blink: ) Also silencer advise please

MAny thanx

Slipster

I have just collected my ticket from Lincoln Police after having another .22 rf added and i am looking at the Ruger. Just wondered what thoughts any owners had on these and what mods you would recomend bearing in mind im going for a 14" barrel cos my Landy seems to be getting smaller (or is it me getting fatter :blink: ) Also silencer advise please

MAny thanx

Slipster

Hello mate im just up the road from you :blush: Ive just sent payment off for a hogue stocked 10/22 custom with modified hammer/extractor and bolt. Its also got a walther heavy barrel and venom mod cant wait for it to arrive at my local RFD. ive never owned one before but will let you know how i get on with it.

I had a SS target barrel with a laminated stock, it looked the dogs, BUT man it was heavey so I px it for another 10/22 with walnet stock and a blued barrel, almost half the weight. What a gun, I would recommend one, get a moderator. It does jam perhaps 1 in 50 bullets but keep it clean and no problems. Do not waste your money on 25 shot mags I have 2 and there are a complete waste of time. Gets lots of armo because on the range you fire 100's (great fun).

The 10/22 is what it is it will shoot very well if you invest time and money in it but if you were looking for a .22semi to buy and shoot rabbits with ruger wouldnt be the way to go imo.

10/22 are made to be customised if your not intending to do that not the best semi to be buying.

The 10/22 is what it is it will shoot very well if you invest time and money in it but if you were looking for a .22semi to buy and shoot rabbits with ruger wouldnt be the way to go imo.

10/22 are made to be customised if your not intending to do that not the best semi to be buying.

I've had a 10/22 heavy stainless this past 10 yrs shot 1000's rabbits love it :blink: yes it jams now and again but i can live with it, i have shot 7 rabbits in about 2 mins ONCE

everybody is different

Bry

Hi,

I also have a custom 10/22 with a SAK moderator. The first thing you have to do (unless its the target model) with any new standard 10/22 is modify the trigger, cos straight from the factory its between 6-8lbs. Several kits are available to bring it down to around 2.5lbs and they are a straight forward DIY job. A SAK Mod will reduce the noise to a reasonable level and you have a very usable rifle. After this point you can customise just about everything using a huge array of after market parts.

I'm very pleased with my 10/22 I only get the odd jam when I stick 2-300 rounds through it on the range. It cycles well with subs, standards and HV's. However like everyone above has said keep the action and mags clean and it will be reliable. They are very simple to strip down and doesn't take long to clean out the gunk from the action.

So a thumbs up from me, :blink: great fun to shoot and cheap to buy....

The majority of 10/22 users have positive views .You'll find the majority of negative comments are made by either shooters who've fired one once or twice or have never used one . :blink:

I've had one for five years, I spent hundreds getting mine to a reasonable condition and I still wouldn't have one as an only .22lr.

My advice - don't get one unless you've also got a bolty. Mines just a range tool and a plinker, I wouldn't use it for bunnies.

Ive is right ( I have never owned one, but have shot one on many ocassions) as Lurch says they are great second guns or projects, but I wouldn't want to rely on one.

But if you want one let me know, there is bloke in my office who has fully tricked up one he has being trying to sell for a while :blink:

Guys

Many Many thanks for all the replies.

I have just returned from my local gun shop, ordered the 10/22 complete with SAK moderator Trigger upgrade and some other bits. Should be here tomorrow :lol:

Just SOOOOO excited

Will post to let you know how i get on

PS this is my second .22 on my ticket my other one is my Marlin underlever, not everyones cup of tea but its a gun that i just love and its will be with me for ever :lol: Awwh

Regards

Slipster

The majority of 10/22 users have positive views .You'll find the majority of negative comments are made by either shooters who've fired one once or twice or have never used one . :lol:

Owned two (as i've said before)

Both were ****, with constant miss-fires.

Most enthusiasts own an action and all the rest is custom bought. Says just about it.

Don

i had a basic model for 5 years and just sold it the only thing i put on it was a 6 power bushnell scope and i shot remington yellow jackets out of it i put over 100,000 rounds through that gun and killed hundreds of varmints and small game mine shot 1 inch grops at 100 yards on the day i sold it they are alot of fun :lol:

The most adaptable or rimfire rifles.

For vehicle use consider a 12" barrel (+ short silencer if req.) and folding stock from Butler creek. Sits nicely on the passenger seat and doesn't touch the roof when picked up to shoot off you drivers door mirror. I find mine excellent.

And yes it is legal - by a couple of millimeters

• 2 weeks later...

Well it finally got here after a week of waiting, so much for "It will be here tomorrow Sir" :blink:

Put about 20 through it to line the scope in

No bunnies so that was it I put another 160 through just because you can :yes: Decided to go home and clean it like the manual says after every 50.

Im sure it was just excitement. :lol:

Hopefully next weekend bunny will be about

Slip I am sure you will have as much of a hoot with your 10/22 as I have had with mine, they are OK just keep it clean, and the Mag !!

Make sure the barrel is fully floating, some of the wood stock models will pinch at the fore end. That will do your groups in well and proper, stick to genuine Ruger mags and use subs. try to steer clear of hyper velocity rounds, not good for the Ruger 10/22.

I have a Parker Hale and a Sak, both much the same.

Slip I am sure you will have as much of a hoot with your 10/22 as I have had with mine, they are OK just keep it clean, and the Mag !!

Make sure the barrel is fully floating, some of the wood stock models will pinch at the fore end. That will do your groups in well and proper, stick to genuine Ruger mags and use subs. try to steer clear of hyper velocity rounds, not good for the Ruger 10/22.

I have a Parker Hale and a Sak, both much the same.

I used Winchester hollow point subs and they seemed to cycle ok.

With regard to cleaning what would you advise ?

Im in the throws of dismantling the stock to check that it is not pressing on the barrel.

Im still waiting to pick my custom 10/22 up! Due to a mistake by the firearms department ive had to send my fac back again.. They forgot to put on it that i could aquire a moderator as well as the rifle :lol:

Hia mate that heppend on my FAc Air rifle :lol: a real pain

Where abouts in Lincolnshire Mate if you ever fancy a few clays Just off the A16 towards Grimsby Let me know :lol:

I use a bore snake on the barrel, I was advised to as crown (The last bit of the barrel the bullet touches) can be damaged by the cleaning rod,

damaging this is bad news.

I use napier stuff to clean and oil, a big can of gun cleaner, great for getting all the **** out, and napier gun oil to lube. I got a couple of those air cans from a stationers to blow out dust from the trigger mechanism,

I have just started using napier Gun grease on the block, it seems to work well.

A stiff tooth brush is a good start, when its all **** free I use a cut down good quality paint brush to put a smear of oil all around the moving parts, keep the front of the block (Firing pin area) oil free.

I strip the mag every now and again this link will show how easy it is

All the best

Picked up my custom 10/22 today and after a few hours this afternoon and around 250 rounds later i have to say im very impressed! All the ammo i tried was subsonic .. First up were eley subs which were atrocious. Wouldnt group and wouldnt cycle more than 3 rounds at a time without getting a stoppage. Then tried cci's which grouped well and only had 1 stoppage. but the best were winchester subs which grouped great at 50yds produced groups not much bigger than a pound coin and i didnt have one stoppage in 150 rounds :rolleyes:

Just to add magazines used were standard ruger..

Im still waiting to pick my custom 10/22 up! Due to a mistake by the firearms department ive had to send my fac back again.. They forgot to put on it that i could aquire a moderator as well as the rifle :good:

Hia mate that heppend on my FAc Air rifle :good: a real pain

Where abouts in Lincolnshire Mate if you ever fancy a few clays Just off the A16 towards Grimsby Let me know :lol:

Hi mate,

thanks for the offer :lol: Never been clay shooting before.. Im on the a158 between Lincoln and skeggy..

I use a bore snake on the barrel, I was advised to as crown (The last bit of the barrel the bullet touches) can be damaged by the cleaning rod,

damaging this is bad news.

I use napier stuff to clean and oil, a big can of gun cleaner, great for getting all the **** out, and napier gun oil to lube. I got a couple of those air cans from a stationers to blow out dust from the trigger mechanism,

I have just started using napier Gun grease on the block, it seems to work well.

A stiff tooth brush is a good start, when its all **** free I use a cut down good quality paint brush to put a smear of oil all around the moving parts, keep the front of the block (Firing pin area) oil free.

I strip the mag every now and again this link will show how easy it is

All the best

Good info, thanks :good: