Plastic printing for parts

Jaymo

Can't for the life of me remember who on here can replicate plastic parts

Rang Seadoo yesterday for 3 hard plastic 'bumpers' and the reply made me think again.

They are literally 3.5cm by 1cm by 1.5 lozenge shape but slightly tapered from bottom to top.

Any idea please ( would need to be black btw)

Brill

Will pm them

And now you have jogged my memory I do believe I have very small percentage stake in LG's printer

That's news to me :hmm:

I had a very heart warming response to the post about chris' money being stolen. I think pretty much 30 or more people offered to contribute toward funding his printer.

But I humbly refused all the offers and think it actually annoyed some members that I was so stubborn.

Together we got there, the thing was a nightmare to build. And since I built it he has perhaps printed a handful of parts. I am getting to grips with modelling programs as there are a few bits I would like to learn too.

If you have a pic of the part and the dimensions for it send them over. I can see what I can sort. It won't be quick. And I also need to order the filament as we were using white pla and I am guessing abs or nylon would suit your part better!

Sorry Martin

I actually couldn't/can't remember the exact details? Know we were all pestering you at the time to donate something towards it.

So, please accept my apologies.

But, to the task in hand - they need to be black, there are currently three of the ******* on the boat at the moment and they don't seem to serve any real purpose except maybe if your transporting water skis on the back?

So, black and go on a boat- as to the specific type of material I don't know.

How much for three - you would need an original to scan in or however it's done and that's no problem, they are drilled, once again no problem as I can at least do that!

Now after them and a new air vent that's on its way only leaves me to get a crack in the seat sorted out- try and find a trimmer in Norwich area next week ( could get away without doing it but to me it's not right) ( will in future need a paint sprayer too for the rear deck lid that has some sun induced crazing)

Thank you to you and Mick

Sorry Martin

I actually couldn't/can't remember the exact details? Know we were all pestering you at the time to donate something towards it.

So, please accept my apologies.

But, to the task in hand - they need to be black, there are currently three of the ******* on the boat at the moment and they don't seem to serve any real purpose except maybe if your transporting water skis on the back?

So, black and go on a boat- as to the specific type of material I don't know.

How much for three - you would need an original to scan in or however it's done and that's no problem, they are drilled, once again no problem as I can at least do that!

Now after them and a new air vent that's on its way only leaves me to get a crack in the seat sorted out- try and find a trimmer in Norwich area next week ( could get away without doing it but to me it's not right) ( will in future need a paint sprayer too for the rear deck lid that has some sun induced crazing)

Thank you to you and Mick

If you could furnish me with pics and dimensions I can see if I can make a model. We don't have the 3D scanner just yet! But it is on his list :rolleyes:

I would need at least on original part to hand of each to stand a chance of matching the size, shape and style. It would be almost impossible to work from a photo.

As for fittings, you really need to design in holes for the screws. Printed items are not solid, they have a solid shell of a few layers but the core is a honeycomb. So if you drill into it you substantially weaken the structure, whereas designing in holes provides a strong key for a screw to bite into.

I would say ABS would be a good choice, but it would ideally be vapour bathed post printing to give a smooth finish.

Edited by mick miller

Selective laser sintering from nylon would be the best choice as opposed to FDM (fused deposition modelling) used by most domestic 3D printers.

Can it make use of stl files Spandit?

Yes it can. The machines at the company I use cost £300,000 each so you'd expect fairly decent results!

Jaymo what seadoo boat have you got. Went out on a 230 challenger twin engined jet drive one couple months ago,it flew topping out at mid fifties knots,acceleration was rapid too and great fun.

Tried racing a lad on a seadoo jet ski with three on it as one broke down,jet ski pulled away after a while, seen it coming out of water the jet ski had one of the boats engines in it Rotax 115 bhp in something so small.

How strong are home 3D printed parts? Seen some mechanical moving engines made but looked flimsy.

Edited by figgy

Thanks to Mr Spandit for arranging something soon...

Mr Figgy, it's a Seadoo Speedster 4-TEC four seat boat- indeed powered by a 155hp Rotax jet ski engine/drive

And boy do they have some get up n go, magazine tested at 51mph.

Once the bumpers are printed and have had one seat base re-upholstered ( was in direct sunlight and it caused the vinyl to crack in one small place, but as I knew it was there it had to be tended to) we plan to try it out on the Broads /coastal, but have a feeling it's going up for sale at a bargain price as I have my eye on something else.....

Sorry jaymo cocked up the bhp of it it's 430bhp two 1.5lt supercharged Rotax engines and the seadoo jet ski we raced had one of the 215bhp supercharged engines in it. Lad said it pulls your arms out.

The fuel consumption is eye watering 50 gallons of petrol don't last very long hooning around.

What boat you wanting next.

Figgy

Ours is the same engine, but not supercharged.

They do have some 'go' in them don't they- know how ours is, yet alone the twin engined supercharged version.

Really not sure what to get/ for the Broads it really only needs to be a little day boat- but maybe I will just use the money on a new Enduro bike or rifle?