Rifle bedding

Lloyd90

@ £250 on some sites. Personally I would see how the rifle shoots before spending loads of money on a bog standard CZ, as it may not be worth the cost if you are only shooting vermin with it.

The best thing would be to simply pillar bed the rifle yourself using pillars that you can buy from Brownells. Once you have set the pillars in place then you can remove wood from around them and then glass bed the action, as you will then have a stable base (the pillars) to tighten down onto.

You must remember to use a release agent though otherwise you will glue your action permanently into the stock :oops:

Don't stress, who cares in many instances, and the difference in the field (unless you start with a dog) isn't worth worrying about.

What is the problem?

Is that posted on the right thread? I'm unsure because you mention a dog and it wouldn't be the first time someone posted a reply to the wrong thread lol!

If so, no real problem, just a bit of a project really.

I'm considering trying to do it myself, but unsure what size pillars I need or how to measure them currently. Have a friend who says he would be able to make me some if I can get the length, hole size, groove width and pitching.

Is that posted on the right thread? I'm unsure because you mention a dog and it wouldn't be the first time someone posted a reply to the wrong thread lol!

If so, no real problem, just a bit of a project really.

I'm considering trying to do it myself, but unsure what size pillars I need or how to measure them currently. Have a friend who says he would be able to make me some if I can get the length, hole size, groove width and pitching.

A very good friend of mine, who I was Deer mentor for and now shoots for Team GB, doesn't have his guns bedded.

As I said, it is VERY seldom required and unless you have a dog I wouldn't bother, if you do have a dog I would suggest trading it for something else rather than embarking on this route.

Bedding is commonly overrated and results minor.

Doing it for yourself is not for the uninitiated, take the pictures before and during the process if you do.

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

A very good friend of mine, who I was Deer mentor for and now shoots for Team GB, doesn't have his guns bedded.

As I said, it is VERY seldom required and unless you have a dog I wouldn't bother, if you do have a dog I would suggest trading it for something else rather than embarking on this route.

Bedding is commonly overrated and results minor.

Doing it for yourself is not for the uninitiated, take the pictures before and during the process if you do.

ATB!

Thanks Dekers,

I'm currently tinkering with different powder weights, I'll see how they shoot before considering anything!

Thanks Dekers,

I'm currently tinkering with different powder weights, I'll see how they shoot before considering anything!

It may seem obvious but maybe worth taking the stock off and checking fit, sometimes a bit of adjustment or stock easing can solve all the problems!

Finding the right cartridge recipe is useful as well of course!

:good:

I've bedded 1 of mine and it's improved it considerably..

It was a poor fit before though. I know it has improved.

If you want to bed your rifle then do it.

When I originally bought it the stock was further to one side than the other, I took it back to the gunshop and they swapped the stock with one they had of the same model.

Despite the swap I wasn't confident it was as well fitted as it could have been and I sanded a bit of wood out of the channel to make sure it was fully floated.

What kit did you use to bed yours mate?

Have a new Rem700 sitting in the shop awaiting 1:1 Variation.

As soon as its home, a new floor plate, possibly pillars and most certainly a dremel for the fore-end awaits.

Sheet of A4 to check interference fit whilst its mounted in a gun vice to check for stock flex and also with it on a bipod too.

It probably can shoot better than I can already, but this cant hurt.

Full glass bedding I will leave to the true experts

I would agree that bedding is not guaranteed to provide dramatic accuracy improvement. However, if the source of accuracy problems IS the stock-action fit, results can be significant.

I'm no expert- I've only bedded two rifles. Both had poorer accuracy than I expected, both improved post bedding. I also wanted to change the Tikka bottom-plastic for metal to use different mags, so that was another reason to tinker with that one.

There are ways of testing fit (barrel deflection on loosening action bolts) but to detect small movements you need special kit.

I believe some rifles are easier to bed than others (I didn't like the look of my Sako 75: the front action bolt is right next to the recoil lug, making siting the pillar tricky.)

One of things I noticed on my T3 was the uneven interface between the recoil lug and the slot in the action (using soot on the lug to show witness marks).

Checking contact/engagement on recoil llug in Boys stock (Tikka T3, so lug is in the stock)

163_BC144-_A768-4499-_BA83-8_EB239_E437_

There are some definite pitfalls to be aware of when doing your own bedding. The release agent is an obvious one, as is sealing-off areas you don't want to get compound in.

It's important to get mag height right, to avoid feeding problems. I bedded new bottom metal to allow use of 10-rnd AICS mags:

2_D3_CD957-_B2_C5-4065-9_FFA-_D4_F94_EF7

63_BB613_A-2_BD3-4947-83_A5-_E9_BE0923_D

A pro would do a much neater job but all I care about is how it shoots.

I don't have a "pre-bedding" photo but it was about 1-1.5 moa for the T3 .243 and 1.5-2MOA for the Howa 7WSM:

IMG_6344.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

Before considering bedding, I'd see how your CZ shoots, play with loads, check torque of action screws, check barrel is free and no "hot spots" where action might be tight on one side in the stock.

Don't be afraid of doing your own bedding but read up on it first, if you do. I did my secondhand Howa first- not too much money lost if I totally screwed the pooch!