Passing geese

kitchrat

What ammo should I use for "pass shooting" geese? Steel isn't much good at any reasonable range (35 yds+?) and the other non-toxic loads don't appear to be available in shot size bigger than No3. so what's the answer? I have a 3in chambered gun but no 10 bore or 31/2 inch gun?

Many thanks

Pigeon "Kitchrat" John

Since when has steel nit been much good?

I use Steel 1s and BBs out to well beyond 35yds with no problems as do many many others on the shore

I have a 3" chambered 20bore that throws steel at geese and it kills them!

Eley did do bismuth BB loads

But gamebore and rc BB steel do the same job

Edited by AberFowl

Accepting steel as the lightest shot type ignoring nickel and tin as its not available in shop bought cartridges AFAIK, between steel and lead you have copper Bismuth and ITM all close together on density Bismuth is the most available then above Lead you have Hevi shot which i think you can still get in Shop bought ammo from Lylevale Express.

Other denser shot is available but for reloading.

So your most dense shot is Hevi shot buying cartridges, That is if you can find it.

This will in theory increase your range but no amount of density of shot will make up for the shortfalls in a persons marksmanship or perhaps gun specifications as in the chokes.

Tighter chokes and steel will suffice with Steel but you indicate its not working for you this makes me feel you perhaps need to look at other aspects of you and your equipment some where before going for a denser shot which in its self wont sudenly transform into instant results, steel does Work and i wold start by getting that functioning first then look at progressing to heavier shot in due course/

What ammo should I use for "pass shooting" geese? Steel isn't much good at any reasonable range (35 yds+?) and the other non-toxic loads don't appear to be available in shot size bigger than No3. so what's the answer? I have a 3in chambered gun but no 10 bore or 31/2 inch gun?

Many thanks

Pigeon "Kitchrat" John

Harsh fact is John you are not hitting Geese in the right place.

Without wishing to come across as a Hero Steel will kill well I've killed 7 for 7 foreshore Pink's so this season heaviest load 32grm Steel 3'shot.

I've shot a lot of flighting /pass shooting local Greylag and Canada let's say up to 50yrd high and used mostly 1oz Steel 3's with the odd B's from my 20ga.

My advice condition your head to Shoot at the Goose head eg blot the head shoot and stop shooting at the Big bit eg Body.

You don't need Big bored Guns 3.5" chambered Guns or big shot to consistently kill geese

Many thanks

Pigeon "Kitchrat" John

As has been said - steel 1's should be good for 40-45 yards. Gamebore Mammoths in 3inch are good

Beyond 45yards you need to look at learning to load your own shells - Powershot or HW13 will push your range further.

Beyond 45yards you need to look at learning to load your own shells - Powershot or HW13 will push your range further.

Totally disagree.

If you can't cleanly kill Geese with steel at 50yrd then you have no right to be loading PWS etc to Wack at geese further 100% irresponsible so the only learning should be to shoot better.

PWS HW Hevishot etc are not miracle wonder shot that turns a average shot into Digweed 👎🖓

Totally disagree.

If you can't cleanly kill Geese with steel at 50yrd then you have no right to be loading PWS etc to Wack at geese further 100% irresponsible so the only learning should be to shoot better.

PWS HW Hevishot etc are not miracle wonder shot that turns a average shot into Digweed

:good: Good post. A Theme which seems to be common in many posts on guns and cartridges is that of Steel being inferior the poor relation even of Lead when in reality Steel is just going about achieving the same end results as other shot types which have superior Theoretical abilities. Steel will work at ranges into the 60s in yards so in 12bores or 10 bores it is not ten yards down in the theoretical range of top of the line lead ammo which often needed more skill to use this extra ten or so yards than many shooters had then and now.

I remember hearing lots of excuses for missing in the days of lead in wildfowling could be feet stuck in mud too much choke in this gun and many more when what really went wrong was the shooter either could not shoot anything for toffee or if he or she had ability they had just bought the biggest cartridges they could find in the shop and done no patterning or anything and some thing was just not performing to its best, usually the shooter. :)

:good: Good post. A Theme which seems to be common in many posts on guns and cartridges is that of Steel being inferior the poor relation even of Lead when in reality Steel is just going about achieving the same end results as other shot types which have superior Theoretical abilities. Steel will work at ranges into the 60s in yards so in 12bores or 10 bores it is not ten yards down in the theoretical range of top of the line lead ammo which often needed more skill to use this extra ten or so yards than many shooters had then and now.

I remember hearing lots of excuses for missing in the days of lead in wildfowling could be feet stuck in mud too much choke in this gun and many more when what really went wrong was the shooter either could not shoot anything for toffee or if he or she had ability they had just bought the biggest cartridges they could find in the shop and done no patterning or anything and some thing was just not performing to its best, usually the shooter. :)

👏👍

Love it 🖒🖒🖒🖒 Edited by Kraai

Totally disagree.

PWS HW Hevishot etc are not miracle wonder shot that turns a average shot into Digweed

I didnt say steel i said steel 1's (which i would use up to 40-45 yards in the 36gram factory load mentioned above)

Personally if i am loading my own I would rather use a ballistically superior substance like HW13 then use larger steel shot (which also work). I find they work very well.

As has been said - steel 1's should be good for 40-45 yards. Gamebore Mammoths in 3inch are good

I'll take your advice, Gambore Mamoth No1,s sound as though they should work, then be conservative with respect to range. 45 yards sounds enough (I hope)