Kids and Christmas.

team tractor

It sounds as though he has made it clear he does not like shooting so regardless of the different disciplines he probably wont be that interested. Unless he has other kids going with him then its just a boring day tagging along with you and your mates. Also as an 8 year old would you really like to sit on a cold river bank for hours on end fishing?

Has he tried joining cubs/scouts as a kid i loved being part of this and opened up a lot of other hobbies and interests for me including shooting, archery, sailing, kayaking, camping all stuff i still enjoy doing now.

Find out what games he likes as may give you an insight into his interests.

He's in cubs . He liked archery so I bought him an archery kit. He said it's dangerous :/

We go camping but it's a bit cold currently ;)

Games ? Stupid computers that I'm trying to drag him away from . He hates other games unfortunately so gets bored easily.

It's a blooming night mare :/

Cheers tho

Edited by team tractor

Games ? Stupid computers that I'm trying to drag him away from . He hates other games unfortunately so gets bored easily.

Not saying buy him more computer games but find out which ones he is playing and see if there is a common theme, such as if lots of superhero type games then maybe get him some marvel figurines or spider man stuff. Or if all his games are space based shooting up aliens maybe something to do with that.

My 9-yar old son plays FIFA on the Playstation and funnily enough it was his main way into playing football for real. He now plays for a local team and was the top goal-scorer last season.

In fact I tell a lie, it actually started with him collecting Match Attax cards (before he discovered FIFA), I did wonder at the time because he'd never shown any previous interest in football.

Now if asked, he'll say he would rather be playing for real than playing it on the PS. If I offer a kick about in the garden the controller gets put down immediately.

If your lad is into sports games.. just a thought.

Not saying buy him more computer games but find out which ones he is playing and see if there is a common theme, such as if lots of superhero type games then maybe get him some marvel figurines or spider man stuff. Or if all his games are space based shooting up aliens maybe something to do with that.

I didn't mean it in a horrible way ;) but I know what you mean tho :)

My thought exactly. Might lead to a father son trip to watch your local team or something.

Oh the joys, mine is 4 and I think I have it hard.

The joys of split parents is as bad as it gets. No say so what's so ever

My thought exactly. Might lead to a father son trip to watch your local team or something.

Precisely. He likes Man City and he he saw his first game last week (West Brom).

I'm also learning to play FIFA with him too. It's tricky (and I'm not bad at video games) but worth it to play together.

Theres no easy answer and if you and the ex arent both pulling in the same direction then its up hill.

But hes 8, not 18.

At 8 Id be dead against him having a tv let alone an x-box in his bedroom.

Now Im no Victorian parent but with 3 boys I know that if you let them have a tv / pc / Xbox in their bedrooms then you wont see them again :lol:

Sad but true.

Trying anything to get him off them

Totally understand why you are doing that, but is there a danger that in trying too hard that you will build resentment?

Do you embrace the gaming with him to build the bond in a different way and then it becomes more of a choice for him to want to spend time with you doing other stuff too?

Sounds like your in a no win situation with the ex and you not playing by the same rules,

Have you got a bmx track near you? Might be different if you book him some lessons there is one near us you can use for free other than on race days and book lessons, might be a lot more fun than just a ride and get him outside.

Another option get a Wee if you can still get them? But have it down stairs, we have had some great evenings at my brothers and they regularly play family tournaments, so at least everyone is joining in?

Totally understand why you are doing that, but is there a danger that in trying too hard that you will build resentment?

Do you embrace the gaming with him to build the bond in a different way and then it becomes more of a choice for him to want to spend time with you doing other stuff too?

I let him on his pad but for 30 minutes then try to get him outside.

We play on my PS4 together but for small amounts of time as I get headaches and I notice him change.

He starts talking like an American and doing a comentry on everything. He changes :/

The ex has promised to get him out more so let's see.

Metal detectors looked into and ill order one.

Sounds like your in a no win situation with the ex and you not playing by the same rules,

Have you got a bmx track near you? Might be different if you book him some lessons there is one near us you can use for free other than on race days and book lessons, might be a lot more fun than just a ride and get him outside.

Another option get a Wee if you can still get them? But have it down stairs, we have had some great evenings at my brothers and they regularly play family tournaments, so at least everyone is joining in?

We have a track and a skate park you can ride on . I've had him down the skate park but both are full of gobby 13 year olds. We normally ride to my mums 2 miles away but the ex left the kids bikes out and the brakes have rusted solid :( she's lazy .

I buy gloves and she looses them and it doesn't change unfortunately

Great idea, best yet.

When I was about 9 or 10, I really really wanted a PlayStation1 and went on and on about one for Xmas. I was certain Id get one but on opening my presents I was greeted with my main present which was........ drumroll.... a metal detector! I was pretty gutted to be honest. It was a proper c-scope one too. I look back and think it was a better present than any console.

On-line gaming and social media is a big issue for all children, and many adults, today. With kids there is a condition called FOMO - fear of missing out. If all of his friends are doing it and he isnt then he will not be one of the in crowd kids and you banning him could make his life a misery. Accept that he doesnt want to do the things that you want him to do. Set some rules over how much time he can spend gaming but be prepared for massive sulking during that time. Dont fight it too much.