Urban Exploration

Doc Holliday

Anyone here in to UE? I used to do it some years back, before it had a name, just because we wanted to be nosy parkers as to why nobody would want anyone walking around a dilapidated old building. Unfortunately my exploring buddy now lives in the West Country and haven't done any proper exploring in years. I'm thinking of getting back in to it in some way.

There were reports of tunnels under Tunbridge Wells common, one in particular that led from King Charles the Martyr church but I haven't had the opportunity to verify this. If anyone knows of any good or interesting sites/places to explore I'd be keen to learn of them.

There are sites/forums that detail sites and have had a look at a few places but I'm curious if their are any on here that have done it.

1 hour ago, Me matt said:

Exactly, not the kind of thing your FEO would be impressed with... 

How would he find out? Trespass is a civil wrong not a criminal offence. If you ever read any of these UE reports you would see that even if they ever get 'caught' by private security guards they are simply asked to leave.   

I have known the police to be called for trespass several times.... once for myself many moons ago while retrievng some of my own property. 

If a memeber of public calls it in- you wont find them calling the (probably unadvertised) private security firm.

Tbh I couldn't give a two bob bit what you or Doc get up to, mearly offering some advice from previous experience. 

Edited by Me matt

19 minutes ago, Me matt said:

I have known the police to be called for trespass several times.... once for myself many moons ago while retrievng some of my own property. 

If a memeber of public calls it in- you wont find them calling the (probably unadvertised) private security firm.

Tbh I couldn't give a two bob bit what you or Doc get up to, mearly offering some advice from previous experience. 

Yes they do occasionally get called but when they arrive simply ask the individuals to leave. Experience UE'ers are very careful not to cause any damage and hence can't be prosecuted for criminal damage. My understanding is that it is a low risk 'hobby'.  

Yep. As previously mentioned, trespass is a civil law and not a criminal law. Basically means that the company or individual having trespassers on their property need to take it to court. Old bill won't really be interested unless damage or theft has been reported. Usually most UE-ers will leave when asked as they are not confrontational and are willing to accept responsibility for their own actions. 

PW is a strange place sometimes. We have a thread where someone is annoyed that there are dog walkers bumbling about their permission, many express how it shouldn't be allowed etc. Then we have this thread where it's almost advocated that people should just 'explore' other peoples properties, land etc because it's only a civil law breach not a criminal one.

Saying that there are some fantastic videos and pictures of places people have 'explored' and I can certainly see the draw to do it. I found pictures and video of the insides of an old coking works near where I grew up. It was operational then and the constant stream of trains, lorries and the flames poring from the stack provided hours of entertainment to a young mind. To actually see some of it was quite interesting.