squirrel control

Mice!

Brilliant and very exciting. I had similar the other day when I missed out on a squirrel coming down the rotten tree right alongside me about 4ft from the window slot in the IBC hide.  It obviously saw saomething different and retreated up the tree and started to berate me and then was joined by a second up the same tree. I kept very still as the second one came down the tree and looked into the IBC then scuttled back up.   After about ten minutes of these two swearing at me it went quiet and a few minutes later a squirrel came down the ash tree by the pheasant feeder 20yrds away and sat nice and still to receive the Mossy .22 pellet. It didn't twitch and a minute or less a second came down the same tree to receive the same treatment.  Then it went very quiet.  I am pretty certain the two I shot where the same as those swearing at me but had gone via the tree bracnches rather than across the ground, their first choce. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out this morning, what a difference a day makes>

6 down in 3 hours, thanks mainly i think to Mr walkers magic potion?

All shot on the tree heading for the feeders, They are certainly aware of where the food is now. Other than one standing off as a big boar rocked up all headed to the food.

They are so desperate to feed that one feeder had a 2" hole where it wasn't armoured up.

Thanks again Neville, super stuff and a good day for you too.

Yes Mice, same location after my location move, 2 feeders one above the other so they don't run dry. The GK a bit pleased.

Edited by old man

2 hours ago, old man said:

Out this morning, what a difference a day makes>

6 down in 3 hours, thanks mainly i think to Mr walkers magic potion?

All shot on the tree heading for the feeders, They are certainly aware of where the food is now. Other than one standing off as a big boar rocked up all headed to the food.

They are so desperate to feed that one feeder had a 2" hole where it wasn't armoured up.

Thanks again Neville, super stuff and a good day for you too.

Yes Mice, same location after my location move, 2 feeders one above the other so they don't run dry. The GK a bit pleased.

Superb mate 👍

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

@Mice! An excellent morning out, glad you are finally making yourself comfortable with a chair- but where is the cup holders and arm rests?!!

By the way, I notice the new improved long lasting feeder has been improved with a loft conversion!😂

Ha ha, the feeder has always been like that mate, at least the lid has, it's still never got damp in there yet 😉 

One hand was holding the brolley as the wind was pushing it and the nets across the scope! The bonus of that little bit of extra height is the sticks are much easier to use, still had my bag and padding just in case 😀 

21 hours ago, Sciurus said:

@old man An even better day for you! 

I use pheasant attractor but a lot of bait gets thrown out, so I must now try Mr Walkers recipe using some cheap cooking oil- if nothing else, it will stop my cement mixer going rusty!

For info, I didn't have any oil but just put a teaspoon full of Mr Walkers dry powder in the seed and nut mix and turned it in by hand. They are mad for it now.

4 hours ago, sam triple said:

Topped up Friday by my mate , not much out of them yesterday , he reckons they’re still mating , been 2 weeks since I last shot the woods I thought they would be off that by now 

I haven't seen a lot of chasing this year really, only one pair. But I've only been seeing squirrels at my feeders, nothing anywhere else. 

I’ve got no feeders out at the moment so I’ve just been picking the odd one off while mooching around. The mosquito pellets that Neville sent me seem to be of good quality, they work well in my hw99s but I’m still searching for a replacement for the original eley wasps for my old British .22’s. Thank you Neville, I’ll be getting some of the mosquito’s in the future, they are a good pellet 👍

C1B51E56-4441-42D8-B246-73AA18EE14A0.jpeg

Pleased they worked for you. I found them purely by accident when I could not get what I normally used.  Do not use anyhting else these days and went for the 177 version but unfortunately they will not work in the magazine of my bullpup so turned to 4.5 FX..... the 3.5 mossies just rattled around in the mag and snagged up.

Screenshot_20220216-075720_Gallery.jpg.44cb92e51bfaf66a3f4f4fcd08ffa198.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-082005_Gallery.jpg.c44088c16daff88040a6cf4b8485756e.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-091617_Gallery.jpg.553ec6cbf9136c216e469c3d6a89b023.jpg

It was a touch windy in the wood this morning 😳😳,  but I'd set up yesterday afternoon and tied everything down, so I was in the wood just after 7 with it getting light fast. 

I was shocked that the first squirrel came down the trunk given how windy it was, sat up on the feeder and took a pellet to the head.

The wind was really picking up so I figured I'd give it till 8:30 then pack up, but around that time the birds started singing and a pheasant arrived so I thought I'll give it a bit longer, and at 8:40 two more squirrels showed up going straight to the feeder.

I was trying to time my shot between the gusts but aimed as if for a body shot, and took it clean through the head.

two males, one huge again,  no idea what these big critters have been eating but there coming into the feeder.

15 hours ago, old man said:

Gave up after 3 1/2 hours of seeing nothing other than 3 long tailed tits.

That is strange,  I might not see any squirrels walking the woods, but I'm seeing loads of birds?

I had a walk yesterday afternoon,  nice sunshine cold wind so I only saw birds, but I did fill a feeder on my walk.

I was in two minds this morning where I should go, it was quite windy with rain forecast?

I risked the feeder at the golf course I filled yesterday,  I set of at 645 and was shocked to find it was already pretty light.

I was in the wood and set up for ten past 7, and the first squirrel came past me from Behind about 750, it had to have seen me, it was only 5 or 6mtrs away,  but I just kept still and waited as it went towards the feeder.

Few minutes rooting around then it went up onto the feeder,  Pfft Whack boing boing flipping around so I gave it another Pfft. 

Twenty minutes later and another comes from the opposite direction,  very twitchy and nervous,  I'm guessing it can smell the other.

It messed around going up and around,  down and back up with the tail twitching the whole time, it kept stopping on the branches of the pine for a look down and managing to have a twig or something covering its head, it was only a thin twig each time  but you just know you'll hit it 🙄

Then she stopped on a branch with a clear view, Pfft Whack boing, and landed out out sight, so I got up to find her very dead with a hole in the forehead and an exit behind the ear. No idea what caused the flipping around today. 

I gave it a while, the tits arrived in force but no more squirrels showed up, the wind was picking up and the rain was starting so I packed up and headed for home.

Large female and a male.

Screenshot_20220223-092740_Gallery.jpg.61ee1c4aa38b79369556d7c41f2d5b6f.jpg