Got two questions

30-6

Not experienced as you lot, i have a question as i have just got a .223 ( Sauer 100 fluted barrel and a Dpt moderator ) and an Icotec caller with British calls. The odd fox i have shot i used a .17 hmr or shotgun. Used to go with a beagle foot pack and shotgun long time ago, but not really a "foxer". But learning all the time.

Question 1 - For anyone with the 350 model Icotec caller with British calls, what calls are you finding best ?

Question 2 - I normally start last hour of light, and go into the dark. After reading about some people starting pre dawn, how long do you then go into daylight ? Do you call or just watch for any moving ?

Cheers in advance.

Done almost no night time foxing , although I have a night vision add on that I spend more time watching the wildlife than shooting with.

Shoot most of mine (not a lot though) from just after dawn to noon,but can see them into the afternoon sometimes.

That does not mean I wouldn't get more at night, daytime suits me better though..

I usually watch for a spell and then call if no activity seen.I most often use rabbit distress call or Vixen on heat.

Or more often the back of my hand to attract.

Edited by Good shot?
Spelling +

All my foxing these days is from pre positioned high seats on known routes.  This snow has helped as I have found two exits from the woods I didn't know of so a new seat location needed.  I rarely call and most foxes we shoot because often there will be two or three of us sat up, are just leaving the wood at dusk to do their rounds. It is interesting that after over twenty years of shooting this area, foxes still use the same routes, tend to cross fields on the same line.  I stopped calling twenty five years ago when everyone was at it and call/lamp shy foxes became prevalent.  Back of the hand or polystyrene on a glass bottle was my call team back then.   Used the glass bottle/styrene on coyote, grey fox, feral hog and bobcat, in the States as well, with great success.  Works on truck windows as well and you can make numerous different squeals and squeaks.

• 4 weeks later...

The last two I’ve had have been after dawn buy several hours, using a caller. With the colder weather they seem to be a bit more active in the morning plus that time year for mating so need the extra food. Vixen calls at night are good animal distress in the morning. Oh and I have found that not having the caller to loud for the distress calls esp in woodland seems to make a difference. So use the caller and stand off and watch.

Hope this helps.

Mick