Medical fee again

Got my renewal through last week with no hassle. Just opened the post to find a nice letter off the Drs asking for £39 to produce a medical report so I can get my renewal. If I don’t pay it they won’t produce the report which is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Are we still not paying these fees? There’s nothing to report about me, other than a few broken bones which I’ve visited hospital for rather than the Drs I haven’t been to the Drs since 2015 which was for another Medical for racing so frankly I’m a bit p’ed off about them trying to charge me for a report they haven’t even produced yet. 

26 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Got my renewal through last week with no hassle. Just opened the post to find a nice letter off the Drs asking for £39 to produce a medical report so I can get my renewal. If I don’t pay it they won’t produce the report which is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Are we still not paying these fees? There’s nothing to report about me, other than a few broken bones which I’ve visited hospital for rather than the Drs I haven’t been to the Drs since 2015 which was for another Medical for racing so frankly I’m a bit p’ed off about them trying to charge me for a report they haven’t even produced yet. 

Ben, it's not a medical report, it's to add a marker to your records that you are a firearms owner. Guidelines are that if the issuing force does not hear from you GP within 21 days they will issue your cert. Advice from the shooting representative bodies is not to pay.

If a medical report is required (e.g. you mentioned on your application form that you have a condition of concern, i.e. mental health issue) your issuing force will then ask for a medical report via letter.

My wife is going through this process so I know.

Edited by Penelope

33 minutes ago, Penelope said:

If a medical report is required (e.g. you mentioned on your application form that you have a condition of concern, i.e. mental health issue) your issuing force will then ask for a medical report via letter.

There was a TV report (Countrywide?) where Lincolnshire police are now requiring a medical report for all grants and renewals - if I understood it correctly.  The Lincolnshire FEO was on - the basis of his case being that he - as the deciding authority - could only be reasonably certain of a person being suitable if he had a full medical report in front of him.

It would be wrong of me on here to post what I thought of his attitude.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

There was a TV report (Countrywide?) where Lincolnshire police are now requiring a medical report for all grants and renewals - if I understood it correctly.  The Lincolnshire FEO was on - the basis of his case being that he - as the deciding authority - could only be reasonably certain of a person being suitable if he had a full medical report in front of him.

Countryfile - I saw it, my thoughts about his attitude would be similar I guess.

16 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It isn't his job to decide, it's his job to follow what his employer tells him! The guidelines from the home office are clear enough! They say there is no charge for the initial process of the GP putting a marker on your medical records!

Im sure some police officers (such as the one interviewed) see themselves as the investigating officer, prosecution and judge!... but as far as I'm aware this is not in their job description..........yet?

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Private medical issues that have nothing to do with someones suitability to own a firearm are none of his business. 

I hope BASC are taking it to court to legally challenge his approach through the judicial system? 

I wont hold my breath. 

It was Countryfile (as has been pointed out to me) and should be available on iPlayer as it was only broadcast a couple of days ago.  there were two sections in teh programme, one near the beginning and another (with the Lincolnshire FEO and the Doctor about half way through.  I would suggest you have a watch because;

1. It shows the type of mentality of person who is running this (in Lincolnshire anyway).  I'm not going to say more as I will get into trouble.
  2. It did make clear that the Home Office guidance says in one section "no fee' and in another section "reasonable charge".  There was a Doctor on who said that whilst some cases took him a few minutes, others might take "several hours" where complex medical issues have to be assessed. 

I leave you to form your own opinion on that