Sometimes it just works

GingerCat

Yesterday I drove round my permissions. The likely places were devoid of birds. Any birds. Nada. Nil. Zip. If it had feathers they weren't to be seen. 

Knowing i had a days shooting before being tied up on family duties I went so far as to check every last field, my heart sinking and visions of putting up fences appearing I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw 300 or so birds lifting off some rape. 

This morning with neither of my shooting buddies available I loaded up my kit and made my way to the exact spot. Now as we all know a few hours may as well be a few years as to the pigeon behaviour and today was no different. They were now fighting from an 80 acre wood,  over where they had been feeding and crossing to the far side of the field some 200 yards away. There they did a sharp left turn, followed the hedge to the bottom of the field and then dropped into a corner of the field by strip if thick bushy hawthorn.  

This corner was a good 600 yards away and I wasn' going to walk it.  I decided to set up under the flight line and the birds should be coming from behind. I hoped to shoot a couple for the rotary and then I was sure it would be a good day as some would decoy and others could be shot as they passed. 

The birds flew over in groups of 10 or so and the occasional loner. 

Within 20 minutes I bagged the first 2 and had the rotary going to join my 8 shells (freshly painted) and 6 fud''s. 

The strong wind kept the birds low, popping over the hedge and screaming into the pattern. Given they were under 30 yards I changed to an open choke and then throughly enjoyed the next 3 hours. 

I picked 25 and really could have done with a dog to find the few I missed in the rape. Really I should have doubled that bag but to my defence they were truly sporting birds and weren'y hanging about on their approach. Fingers crossed to more days like that...

We had the same problem today ( me and Lakeside1000 ), on one our farms there is a large block of rape surrounded by trees and with the edge of one of the Broads running around the outside , throughout the Winter there were 100s of pigeons going on the rape but due to game shooting we couldn't shoot it till February , Alan had been getting a few tidy bags with a 45 day on his last visit earlier on during the week .

Well today , apart from putting a few out of the trees the area looked completely empty of pigeons , overnight they had found greener pastures  and now the next job is to find where there gone , one of the joys of trying to outwit the humble Woodpigeon .

Nice day Ginger Cat a good detailed report , I would be very happy with 25 at the moment and with the land dying out I don't think it will be long before we do some shooting on Spring drillings .