28 Bore reloading

Looking for some advise on reloading for the 28 bore. I have previously reloaded  for rifles.

I have done a quite a bit of research on the subject and ended thinking, this is going to get complicated, with different case types, wads powder primers etc. So can anyone help point me in the right direction with refrence to a good powder wad combanation. I am looking to load for mainly game/ pidgeon I am  looking 26-28gram with plactic wad

I will be purchasing a mec 600 jr as soon as my bank balance allows.

Cheers in advance

You will need a slow burn powder so me personally will be looking towards maxam ssb150 or vecton ao or if you have deeper pockets Hodgdon lilith gun if you can get it. Wads I would use B&P wads primers cheddite Cx2000. As for data I can't help on that sorry but you won't go wrong with vecton or maxam powders and B&P wads

On 19/04/2018 at 19:57, hatsanmad said:

You will need a slow burn powder so me personally will be looking towards maxam ssb150 or vecton ao or if you have deeper pockets Hodgdon lilith gun if you can get it. Wads I would use B&P wads primers cheddite Cx2000. As for data I can't help on that sorry but you won't go wrong with vecton or maxam powders and B&P wads

Many thanks. I noticed that the ssb150 powder feature in qiue a few articals.

On 19/04/2018 at 17:38, cervusman said:

I have a Mec 600 28b conversion kit that I don’t use for sale if that’s any help 

Hi Cervusman thanks you for the offer, it is certanly food for thought. How dificult are the presses to convert from the 12?

6 hours ago, Salopian said:

Why would you need 26gram -28gram loads for a 28 bore ???????????????????????

Have you heard of a 12 bore shotgun ? They seem to be popular and cheaper to buy than 28 bores.

Many reasons. Lighter to carry comfortable to shoot, I find them easier to swing through, and above all personnel preference. 

If you get a chance to try one, give it a go it might surprise you. 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried 28gram in the 28 when i had it and found 23 or 24 gram about the best for pattern in size 6, if 7 shot 21g was sweet to shoot. I Found the 28g no better and cost more than smaller loads gave a bit of kick. 25g pure gold were a good cartridge too. If i was going  for a mooch around with the dog i'd take 19g Hull or at most a 21g every time, can carry more and not notice the weight and at the ranges you would flush stuff they will do all you could want. Only time i wanted a bit more payload was for driven game.

• 1 month later...
On 12/04/2018 at 16:27, Esca said:

Looking for some advise on reloading for the 28 bore. I have previously reloaded  for rifles.

I have done a quite a bit of research on the subject and ended thinking, this is going to get complicated, with different case types, wads powder primers etc. So can anyone help point me in the right direction with refrence to a good powder wad combanation. I am looking to load for mainly game/ pidgeon I am  looking 26-28gram with plactic wad

I will be purchasing a mec 600 jr as soon as my bank balance allows.

Cheers in advance

Hi Esca,

Bit late to the party here, but as others have said John is very knowledgeable on the 28 and has some excellent loads. He'll tell you exactly what you need to put in the cartridges.

A good tip for the mec is to replace the crimp starter with the Gaep one from him. It's called the "Start crimp (incisore) tool for new cases". With some adjustment you can then get a crimp that is very near factory quality. You can get it exactly factory quality using a rotating finisher in a drill press.

My main load is a 21 gram which can be tailored via shot size for clays #7, pigeons #6.5 or game at sensible distances #6 or #5.5. For that I have just machined the charge bar and inserts on the mec to throw exactly what I want.

I have another load at 16 grams of #9 for the kids to use on clays and a 24 gram #5 or #5.5 for more demanding game shooting. I do these on the universal charge bar.

It needn't get complicated. I do all these loads with 2 powders, 2 different thickness over powder fibre wads and one size main fibre wad.

You don't need massive loads in the 28. We were decoying at the weekend and 24 gram Eley VIP #6 were not killing as well as my loaded 21 gram #6.5 in the same barrel of the same gun.

Cheers

Clive

17 hours ago, cliveward said:

Hi Esca,

Bit late to the party here, but as others have said John is very knowledgeable on the 28 and has some excellent loads. He'll tell you exactly what you need to put in the cartridges.

A good tip for the mec is to replace the crimp starter with the Gaep one from him. It's called the "Start crimp (incisore) tool for new cases". With some adjustment you can then get a crimp that is very near factory quality. You can get it exactly factory quality using a rotating finisher in a drill press.

My main load is a 21 gram which can be tailored via shot size for clays #7, pigeons #6.5 or game at sensible distances #6 or #5.5. For that I have just machined the charge bar and inserts on the mec to throw exactly what I want.

I have another load at 16 grams of #9 for the kids to use on clays and a 24 gram #5 or #5.5 for more demanding game shooting. I do these on the universal charge bar.

It needn't get complicated. I do all these loads with 2 powders, 2 different thickness over powder fibre wads and one size main fibre wad.

You don't need massive loads in the 28. We were decoying at the weekend and 24 gram Eley VIP #6 were not killing as well as my loaded 21 gram #6.5 in the same barrel of the same gun.

Cheers

Clive

16 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I shoot 28 bore on a regular basis on partridge and pheasant and find a 21 to 24 gm load in 6 is perfect. No need to go above this in a light gun that will only add to recoil. You have good reccomendation for help to which I add Claygame.

Cheers guys. I am in the middle of moving house so everything is on hold at the moment, but I will start reloading as soon as the dust has settled.

I use the RC21gram, they performs very well, if they are not available I fall back on Gamebore Regal 25gram 5s. 

I tend to use the 28 for woodland and hide shooting.

Guest cookoff013

in the lyman 5th shotshell book there is a 28gauge section and there is a little nugget of data a 28gram fibre load with bluedot.
my book is in storage. 

3 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

in the lyman 5th shotshell book there is a 28gauge section and there is a little nugget of data a 28gram fibre load with bluedot.
my book is in storage. 

Blue dot now there is a powder that bring a smile to my face.