Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Spotted this on a local auction site thought It might be of interest to add to a collection / man cave 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ashleywaller/catalogue-id-ashley10037/lot-5f6fb017-6439-451d-82f9-abd3001960c3

That is a nice sign!

3 hours ago, matone said:

Some more from H&H.Late 50`s I think.

DSCF1090.JPG

DSCF1092.JPG

Neat that they are advertising their guns on a shell box. That is a nice box.

3 hours ago, Mr. Merkel said:

Yes I have with my new found skill of being able to post pictures here we go

IMG_1407.JPG

From what I can find it's circa 1938-39, the actual extract reads

'The Royal was a top quality cartridge having a metal inner sleeve which was crimped closed at the mouth. It also had and out gastight brick red case wall which was printed and lacquered.' 

Further to Mr. Merkel’s pictures of his wonderful Royal Ejector cartridges and Farmboy91’s correct dating of 1938/9, I can add that Donald Dallas, in his book ‘H&H The Royal Gunmaker’, states that production started in late 1938 and ceased at the outbreak of war in September 1939. He describes them as ‘very rare and collectable today’.  Price in 1938 was 21 shillings per 100, compared to regular Northwood cartridges at 16 shillings and Grand Prix at 14 shillings and 6 pence.
There was also an earlier Royal Ejector cartridge produced around the turn of the century that was a normal paper case/rolled turnover.    
I have some later Royal Jubilee cartridges which I presume date from HM’s Silver Jubilee in 1977.  I will try and take some pictures.

Hi London Best

Thank you for the reseach I love looking at these old cartridges some bring back good memories. We moved homes a few years ago and a lot of my bits and pieces went into storeage which got flooded out I lost a great many cartridges through water damage not all some were above the water line The BSA shells that Matone pictured I remember buying them as a teenager.

Here are a couple of 410 Eley Almac brass cases that were saved from the Webley bolt action not sure of the age but from the 60's I would guess.

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

Hi, thanks again for that an old canvas bank bag filled with them came with a Webley & Scott 410 bolt action that I bought in the 60's so I guessed that they might have came from that era. supprised they were earlier. I have seen a few at various auctions but never seen a box for them.