Which Scope?

Buck100

Hey everybody,

I'm after a scope for my CZ455, the ones in my price range are the Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4-16x50 AO IR and the Hawke Fastmount 4-16x50 AO IR.

Also in the equation is the Hawke Fastmount 6-24x59 AO IR at just a few quid more.

A couple of questions if i may.......which is the best make between the Nikko and the Hawke in the £100 price range? I was wondering if the 6-24x50 would be as clear as the lesser magnification scopes, although i can't envisage me using the extra magnification above 16 times.

Any and all comments will be be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time. :good:

The Mountmaster is an excellent scope and good value for money. I've never used a Hawke fastmount, but if it's anything like the Hawke scopes I have, then it should be good. Also, most Hawke scopes carry a 10 year warranty. The Mountmaster is also good for NV add on. I don't think you would need the extra magnification, and would go for a 4-16 x 50

I hear you fse, you'll no doubt be shooting at extended ranges with the hm. i can't see me shooting much further tham 100 yards with my .22 though. i'm assuming you've got the "Fastmount"?

Whats the image quality like on full mag with the 4-16, is eye relief critical as opposed to lesser magnification?

Neil.

Edited by Buck100

I have the Vantage (fastmount) 6-24x44 on my 22 CZ as i like to head shoot all my rabbits so like a good view of the rabbits head. Also like to see the bullet holes on the target when i zero. Should of just brought the 6-24 for the 17 but was in a rush to shoot it so just brought what the shop had. Image quality is good on full mag on both of the scopes.

Paul.

I have a CZ 455 with a 16" barrel with a Hawke eclipse 4-12x50, was thinking of trying it on my M&P 15-22 and getting a new scope for the CZ.

Been looking at the 6-18x50 Nikko Stirling Panamax too, it has some cracking reviews. Optics Warehouse are selling them at £112, best price i've seen advertised......... very tempted! :hmm:

I've a Hawke (can't remember model - could be a Vantage?) 6-24x50ir on my HMR.

It's a good scope. But on rabbits I never go above 10x mag on it - even at 100+yds... different story when on crows though - which is why I wanted bigger mag in the first place.

My only slightly gripe is that the scope is HUGE compared to my Bushnell 3-9x40 on my .22 - but I guess that is to be expected.

20 hours ago, Buck100 said:

Hey Harry, what's clarity and eye relief like at the higher end of mag? I suppose  eye position is more critical at 18x upwards?

Neil.

Clarity is good in the daylight. But turn the mag up at dusk it can be poor due to low light, and same in the dark. I don't think that's the scopes fault, though?

I've never noticed any issues with eye relief at any mag on it. But if you do turn it up high you do need to twist the AO, depending on distances or it won't focus and you'll think your eyes are playing up!

Overall it's a good scope and I'm happy with it.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

99% of Hawke scopes carry a ten year warranty.

They do and I had a small problem. it did not effect the scope shooting accurately but I noticed when i adjust it the reticule would jump. I sent it back to Deben and they contacted me and said do you know when you purchased this and I hadn't  clue. The guy said well it must have been at least 15yrs ago. The best we can do is give you a very good discount  on a new one, just tell us which model, doesn't have to be the same.  That scope had done a fair few air miles as well as been dragged around the British countryside and at one time sat on my 300H&H.

No way could I grumble  and a new Airmax arrived for my 17HMR.  Brilliant service.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

They do and I had a small problem. it did not effect the scope shooting accurately but I noticed when i adjust it the reticule would jump. I sent it back to Deben and they contacted me and said do you know when you purchased this and I hadn't  clue. The guy said well it must have been at least 15yrs ago. The best we can do is give you a very good discount  on a new one, just tell us which model, doesn't have to be the same.  That scope had done a fair few air miles as well as been dragged around the British countryside and at one time sat on my 300H&H.

No way could I grumble  and a new Airmax arrived for my 17HMR.  Brilliant service.

Just how good was the discount? LOl 

almost 50%....  certainly enough to make me smile.  I have dealt with the Deben Group for many years and have always received excellent customer service unlike Swarovski when my very expensive binoculars let in water and when they sent them back no apology...not even a letter, then within weeks the lenses cracked because their techies had overtightened the retaining rings. I didn't get an apology from THEM even then.

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2018 at 08:27, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have a 455 22 L/R  with a hawke 4 x 12 x 50 rimfire scope  50 to 80 yards is my shooting distance, only problem i am finding now is the rear eye diopter is at maximum setting so i need to try an alternative or it will need wearing glasses, been looking at a BSA sweet 22

hello, i am now looking at a Hawke side focus 4x16x40 scope to go on the above rifle to take a new add on N/V

4 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

What scope did you go for in the end?

The Bushnell (3-9x40) on my .22 isn't keeping zero too well, sadly. Have seen a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x40 or the x50, both for not much more than £50. Anyone got a verdict on them compared to equivalent Hawke which is £20-£30 more?

hello, the extra money for a Hawke is worth it having used a few Bushnells and in my opinion not as good, the Hawke are also lighter and shockproof

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, the extra money for a Hawke is worth it having used a few Bushnells and in my opinion not as good, the Hawke are also lighter and shockproof

I presume you mean the Nikko and not the Bushnell?

The Bushnell i have is 12yr old and has had a fair bit of use (and abuse)... to buy another the same is £200 today. Just can't stretch to that sadly. The equivalent Hawke is £75, or £52 for the Nikko Stirling

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

I presume you mean the Nikko and not the Bushnell?

The Bushnell i have is 12yr old and has had a fair bit of use (and abuse)... to buy another the same is £200 today. Just can't stretch to that sadly. The equivalent Hawke is £75, or £52 for the Nikko Stirling

hello Harry, sorry i did mean the Nikko, i would still go for the Hawke despite the extra cost