Tikka t3x but which one?..

PPP

I will be ordering my 308 this week and have narrowed it down to this.

Rifle use will be:

10% Deer

10% Boar

20% Fox

60 % Target

Which variant would you choose and why? Current think favourite is CTR or Super Varmint

55 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have the Heavy Varmint. Great bit of kit but shortly to be traded in as I no longer shoot foxes or deer. Can recommend the variant though, mine is faultless. 

I assume you mean VARMINT;)

Take yer pick 

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles#rifles

mmmm I actually like the T3 Forest 

Edited by Graham M

12 hours ago, fister said:

Stalking or highseat

Driven or highseat

Walking or vehicle

Plinking for practice or serious (what type) of competition?

Hi

To be honest a mixture although not much vehicle shooting..

As for target shooting it will be for practice / fun on ranges, we have a few good military ranges not far away, doubt I will be competitive other than with myself..

2 hours ago, Andy RV said:

CTR. 

Far better steel mag than the other Tikka’s. 

Interesting, thanks..

12 hours ago, Scully said:

I have the Heavy Varmint. Great bit of kit but shortly to be traded in as I no longer shoot foxes or deer. Can recommend the variant though, mine is faultless. 

Awesome, thanks

20 hours ago, Graham M said:

Buy the Hunter. Nice wood stock and a bit more weight than a plastic thingy.

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/tikka-t3x-hunter-wood-blue-fluted-right-handed

I know what you mean but wooden stocked rifles do get pinged (as my T bolt will tell you)

I own a T3x Sporter 6.5x55 and love it. Am saving up for Tac A1 in .308. Walking or crawling stalking with the sporter might be a struggle but the other scenarios I’d be happy to use it - and targets it does to 600 yds....?

Whichever you chose make sure it has an adjustable cheek piece as standard stocks are low if you are using big glass. 

I have a mate that has stalked with me using a Sako TRG 22, with no issues. 

Edited by The Burpster
Remembered a bit

We are all different, but even for target (leave time between shots) I would buy a light barrel gun.

The gun is multi use, so the target side is obviously fun/enjoyment rather than really serious, so consider the hours you will be carrying it around the field, rather then the minutes you will be prone on target work!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

2 minutes ago, Dekers said:

We are all different, and even for target (leave time between shots) I would buy a light barrel gun.

The gun is multi use, so the target side is obviously fun/enjoyment rather than really serious, so consider the hours you will be carrying it around the field, rather then the minutes you will be prone on target work!

:good:

+1 I bought the lite for that very reason. 

31 minutes ago, mick miller said:

I went Stainless Super Varmint. But 260.

Each to their own, I just don't get the heavy rifles for field use, especially a tricked up even heavier version of the Varmint.

Whilst I make my feelings known on this subject, if it works for you then obviously that's what counts, I just don't get it, perhaps I'm just a weak tart who likes light rifles...but they work VERY well for me!

ATB! :good:

It's for the range mostly, occasional high seat. I have a light 243 for field work. Which is why I suggested the super varmint as the OP states he'll use it for the range mostly (60%). A light barrel, lightweight rifle I can tell you, is utterly useless for range work, they get too hot, too quickly and the stock won't help accuracy if you don't have a nice fat, flat surface to ride on the fore rest or bag.

Edited by mick miller

I nearly went for this myself, but felt a 'black rifle' poking from a high seat might give the wrong impression. That said, I may just get another stock in time. 

What I liked about the varmint stock was the option to remove parts to fine tune it for fit when stalking. Like you, I'm no lightweight.