Stopping drinking

PPP

23 hours ago, Jonty said:

PPP, I know exactly what you mean about breaking the cycle. I did it about a year or so back, I'd noticed I'd got into a habit of having a couple of beers most evenings.  Best advice I could give you, and many will take it with a pinch of salt is go see a hypnotist.  I'm a really cynical sod but can't believe how helpful it was, at simply stopping the nagging element you get with any habit.  I didn't want to stop drinking, just knock the pointless mid week at home beers on the head and I was amazed how flexible the 'treatment' was.  I still go out for a pint with my mates or have a beer with the wife on a Saturday night but can happily miss the mid week beers no problem.  I know folks will say 'just stop' and I appreciate that - I packed in smoking that way years ago, but I can honestly say that an hour of your time and fifty quid for a session in a hypnotist chair is honestly well worth the time and money.  As others have said, the benefits are huge - I lost a stone in the first six months with no other diet change, still losing weight now.  Good luck

I don't know about going to see a hypnotist to stop drinking but years ago that's how I stopped smoking and it was nothing short of amazing.

Somebody mentioned sleep and that's another big misconception, the idea that a couple of drinks (or a late night supper) helps you sleep. That's not true, when you drink or eat you sleep much lighter and spend less time in the deepest form of good sleep.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up on this thread. Wife and I doing a couple of months of sobriety - both need to lose a bit of weight. BMIs on the high side of normal ie not obese and we are not big eaters but we do love a bottle of wine (or two) in the evenings. We think if we cut out alcohol this will have a big impact on calorie intake and probably save us a lot of cash - we do like a good bottle. Tonight is the start so will report progress.