Magpies

la bala

Had a look at a bean field tonight, it had been harvested today. It should offer some pigeon but i was scouting for rabbits. Glassing the field at about 200 yds I counted 17 magpies in a bunch, I have been about a good few years and that is the most i have ever seen in one bunch. I thought maybe i could thin them out a bit but they just kept that 200 yard buffer between me and them. Time for a centre fire i think. We seem to have a real glut in this area, anyone experiencing the same.

As said last week just passed the 200 mark off a slurry pit on one of my farms in two years. The odd one or two venture in now and again. I'm on the edge of a huge area of National Forest so there will always be a few coming in but hopefully less going out.  If you have access to a farm yard/silage/slurry pit then it is worth putting up a permanent hide if you can and they get used to it being there. I was able to do just that, in fact I have two and they have paid off.  Just wack 'em with the air rifle then.  You have to have the time and patience though. A few jackdaws, crows and barn pigeons can relieve the boredom:good:  They particularly like maize silage and the nesting/breeding season is the best time, along with July/August when any youngsters show up.  They do need constant attrition as they will build up again very quickly.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

As said last week just passed the 200 mark off a slurry pit on one of my farms in two years. The odd one or two venture in now and again. I'm on the edge of a huge area of National Forest so there will always be a few coming in but hopefully less going out.  If you have access to a farm yard/silage/slurry pit then it is worth putting up a permanent hide if you can and they get used to it being there. I was able to do just that, in fact I have two and they have paid off.  Just wack 'em with the air rifle then.  You have to have the time and patience though. A few jackdaws, crows and barn pigeons can relieve the boredom:good:  They particularly like maize silage and the nesting/breeding season is the best time, along with July/August when any youngsters show up.  They do need constant attrition as they will build up again very quickly.

It used to be I could get a good few from the tractor cab with the hmr, while spreading slurry, but they've got wise to this, and now take off as soon as I stop. Like you say, hitting them in the yard with the air rifle is now a better option for me.

The proof of the pudding.....................

Went to the farm for a few hours this afternoon. One maggie flew off as I arrived.  Settled in the cabin and they slowly flowed in. Drew stumps at 5pm with six on the deck...well three in the pit.  Did not retrieve those for the photo.  Just shows how succesful a permanent hide can be.

20180823_141818 (800x600).jpg

20180823_165419 (800x600).jpg

20180823_170813 (800x600).jpg

On 23/08/2018 at 06:36, Mice! said:

loads everywhere round me, thinking of a Larsen trap for the garden next year.

Larsen trap is the way to deal with them. Although it does take away the sporting element. We run 3 on our small shoot and get around 40 each year, not many others trap around us but it does take the pressure on the nesting wild game.

My Grandmother had a pair nesting in her garden in the spring, I popped over with a trap and got both whilst we sat and had a coffee, job done.

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

Larsen trap is the way to deal with them. Although it does take away the sporting element. We run 3 on our small shoot and get around 40 each year, not many others trap around us but it does take the pressure on the nesting wild game.

My Grandmother had a pair nesting in her garden in the spring, I popped over with a trap and got both whilst we sat and had a coffee, job done.

Thats the way to do it. Best way of targeting magpies. Just keep the trap on the move and it will catch again

4 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

problem in the garden is there always on the trees along the borders so can't shoot them.

what do you bait your trap with to begin?

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

problem in the garden is there always on the trees along the borders so can't shoot them.

what do you bait your trap with to begin?

I have never tried baiting as I manage to scrounge a bird off a mate but I believe eggs or a rabbit split open will draw the attention. I guess if people are leaving scraps out for them in your area then that would be a good bet. I normally trap from the end of February through to end of May to try and give the wild game a bit of help. 

Best of Luck